cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an RV with patched water leak

goosechase
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I'm new to the forums here and was hoping I could get some advice about a Class C I'm thinking about purchasing.

My partner and I are finally ready to take the plunge and purchase an RV for full-timing. Right now we're looking at a 1992 Tioga Montara listed for $5500. The owners have let us know that there were some leaks when they first purchased it years ago, but that they have since patched them up and haven't had any further issues. There is a small bubble on the edge of the inside ceiling in one spot.

I realize this is almost a 30 year old coach and expect there to be some problems. Would you personally consider an issue like this to be a deal breaker? Are there any ways I would be able to better determine whether there's been extensive water damage or not?

I'm planning to get whatever RV I decide on inspected before purchasing, but don't want to waste the time and money if the bubble on the ceiling would be considered a huge red flag to someone with more experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I welcome any and all advice!
21 REPLIES 21

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I hate to say it but fulltiming in a rig that old is going to be an on-going and constant job of fixing stuff and will leave little opertunity to just enjoy the hobby.
Not to mention the disposable income it will eat on a monthly basis.

I absolutely would NOT buy a rig that shows that kind of water damage. The part you can't see is 10X worse than what you can see.
If you don't want to spend more (and I appreciate that) then keep looking for something cleaner and without water damage. They are out there.

Please take this advice from someone who's been there, was lied to by the cutest old couple (while we held our newborn) and who eventually, after tons of money and hard work, had to take it to the dump.

I do wish you the best of luck.

Scott

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
At $3500 it might be a deal (if you are REAL handy). At $5500, not so good.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Look for delamination on exterior.
Check the floor thoroughly for soft spots even in storage areas.

I certainly understand the less appealing price tag for new class C but 1992 is quite outdated. Good luck

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Buyer Beware
Bill and Joey the dog

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you have some fix it skills, because thats what you'll be doing constantly.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Patching an RV water leak is easy but repairing water damage isn’t. Unless this RV is free, find another.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are in the market for a used vehicle. A very old one at that. It will be far from showroom perfect & the price should reflect that reality. Expect ongoing issues as with any old & used vehicle.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995