cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying first TT - New or Used?

annakwlee
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are a family of 5 with three small children (ages 7,6,2) and we are wanting to buy a travel trailer - doing alot of research - and wondering if we should buy new or used. New we are thinking of the 2015 Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2920BH (quad bunks in the back) but have read some negative reviews of Keystone. Buying used seems like its a toss-up too. We are so very new to this world and are hoping for some insight into how we should buy.

We do not have a tow vehicle yet either. Needing to purchase that too. Thinking of a 2007 Suburban LT 2WD, can that tow this TT? TT max weight 7200. Our research shows seems to indicate that Chevy Suburban can tow 8200lbs.
41 REPLIES 41

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
GM trucks will have a build sheet on the glovebox door. You could snap a pic of it with your digital camera or cell phone. Then search RPO codes for it. You'll quickly know everything on the truck. Look at rear end ratio's and for a tow package. Different rear end ratio's have separate tow limits. As suggested use GVWR, gross numbers.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
double post
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buy used and when you are ready to purchase make the deal contingent on having an independent tech look it over. Don't use the same dealers tech if you buy from a dealer.

I'll give you 95% odds, within 2 yrs you will have different wants and needs, so no reason to take a huge depreciation hit or live with a trailer you don't like. If you have the used unit checked out, there is no reason to expect any more repairs than with a new unit (and new units need more repairs than you would think. Even if they are under warranty, that doesn't help if the unit is in the shop when it's time to leave on your vacation).

I'll take the opposite tack on which to buy first. Find the trailer first. If you buy the truck and then come across trailer you love at a great price but your truck can't handle it, it leaves you in a bad position. Once you know the trailer, you can buy a truck to handle it. Trailers are far more variable than trucks, so it's generally easier to find a truck that meets your needs than the other way around.

I'm not sure if they make the 3/4ton equivalent in a suburban but seriously consider moving up with that size trailer or look for a 4 door pickup in the 3/4 or 1 ton range. The 1/2 ton might do it but the bigger truck will tow much nicer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you are a Savvy DIY type or know someone with RV experience to help you select a unit used is OK you can save depreciation cost.
However if your not the DIY type and are not handy with tools or not able to recognize poor workmanship and shoddy materials buy new.
New you will have a warranty and assistance for the first year while you educate yourself used you are on your own basically from day one.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy Used - Buy Used - Buy Used - Buy Used - Buy Used - Buy Used -
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Lastly, ignore the "dry" weight of the rig, only pay attention to the max GVW of the rig.

Well, not exactly. Your concern should be CCC, or Cargo Carrying Capacity (GVW minus dry weight). This equates to the amount of "stuff" you can pack, weight of liquids in tanks, and passenger weight (for non-tow behinds). If your GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is 10000 but your dry weight is 9000 lbs that leaves you with 1000 lbs CCC. Sounds like a lot, but it isn't. If your GWVR is 10K but dry weight is only 7500 lbs, you have a lot more CCC.

If you get your tow vehicle first, then you may possibly limit what you can buy for a trailer. If you get the trailer first, then you may be forced to buy more vehicle than you want Chicken and the egg proverb comes into play. Always buy more truck than you think you'll need as chances are since you are a newbie you'll be changing your TT within a year or so.

New = bigger up front investment but any issues covered under warranty.
Used = less up front costs but any potential repairs are on your nickel.

We always bought new because we could but we started small with a pop-up then progressed up to a Class C. No longer RV due to multiple factors but have many years experience doing so. My last piece of advice is to not go hog-wild on the off change you really don't like the lifestyle. You can always trade up if necessary and if you are like the most RVers you will change your mind multiple times as to what you want.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding the tow vechile - make sure you understand payload. Payload will be exceeded before towing capacity. Payload is used up by the weight of the people and gear loaded in the TV, hitch weight, full tank of gas, hitch receiver, etc. With a family of 5, your going to be taking a lot of stuff. Maybe consider buying the TV used.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts are since you are new to this....if it is in the budget, buy new! Yes you may lose money bringing it off the lot but people do with vehicles also. I would really look around for one that suits you and from experience go a little bigger rather than smaller.
If you are not familiar with fixing things yourself on the unit you could be in for a lot of $$$
repairs. You don't know what you are getting with a used unit. The salesman may not know or disclose issues.
As suggested, it might be better to get your TV first Then you can figure out exactly what you can tow. With 3 small children you are going to have "stuff. Your payload will add up quickly.
You will get lots of different opinions, listen to them all and then do what you feel is best for your family.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re new at this I think it would be much to your benefit to look for a “not too old” used unit. The odds are once you use one for awhile you’ll get a better feel for what you really want and it likely won’t be the one you have. But you’ll take it in the shorts on the depreciation loss on a new one. If you look used, take a friend along who knows how to check out a TT thoroughly. Or arrange for a tech at a dealer or shop to check it for you.

Another factor to consider is where do you want to camp? If you like the more pristine areas and like to get away from the pavement you’re looking at too big a unit. In those cases less than 25’ would be a better choice. If the plan is commercial parks and well developed and accessible campgrounds and you want fhu’s then you’re OK.

Lastly, I think you’re quoting tow ratings, which are questionable at best. There are a number of different ratings for a TV and with a ½ ton, at least, you’ll run out of payload well before you get near the tow rating. Also, that’s a fairly heavy TT and if you do much mountain travel it won’t be a fun pull with the typical 5L V8. So another thing to think about, do you want a ¾ ton with a bigger engine or maybe a HD F150 Ecoboost? It’s always a good idea to have more truck than you think you’ll need. Take your time and ask a lot of questions before you commit, it may save a lot of heartburn later. Good luck.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much research tons on here about poor customer service with keystone,values on new versus used by three to five years old and so on read the diff forums

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! My suggestion would be to get your tow vehicle first. That way you'll know exactly what you have to work with. Take your time and shop around. That's the fun part! The rear bunkhouse is really nice for the kids. Interest rates are really low so I would lean towards buying new. As far as keystone, I'm not really sure. What I do know is that you'll get good and bad reviews for every brand. I've always liked the Outback trailers but they might be the same as keystone. Have fun!
E.Lee Galik

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you get a great deal on a 2015 model, you will lose something like 30% of the value just driving off the lot.
Also, most people buy the "wrong" rig, for them, the first rig they buy. Too small, too large, something will be wrong.
It is harder to find something "just right" used. But if you buy the wrong "used" rig you will lose far less.
Lastly, ignore the "dry" weight of the rig, only pay attention to the max GVW of the rig.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.