cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying first TT - New or Used?

annakwlee
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are a family of 5 with three small children (ages 7,6,2) and we are wanting to buy a travel trailer - doing alot of research - and wondering if we should buy new or used. New we are thinking of the 2015 Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2920BH (quad bunks in the back) but have read some negative reviews of Keystone. Buying used seems like its a toss-up too. We are so very new to this world and are hoping for some insight into how we should buy.

We do not have a tow vehicle yet either. Needing to purchase that too. Thinking of a 2007 Suburban LT 2WD, can that tow this TT? TT max weight 7200. Our research shows seems to indicate that Chevy Suburban can tow 8200lbs.
41 REPLIES 41

APT
Explorer
Explorer
annakwlee wrote:
Can anyone confirm my calculations and comment on my asuumptions....

Yes, that is about right. Payload is the limitation. Your Tundra can tow 10k-ish pounds with only a driver towing a 8% TW boat. RVing is different. RVing is harder and real world RVing with a family means much less than advertised tow ratings. That why I said this. But now you got what you got for a TV so let's find a good match for it.

5500 pounds dry is reasonable. 7k loaded for a family may put you a little over the truck's GVWR and rear axle rating. A small amount of the TW will go back to the trailer axles when using a WDH, so you'll only realize about 650-700 pounds on the truck's axles. But you will load up the bed. I have never seen a pickup pull into a campground with an empty bed. I certainly never did when I had one. Most WDH do not weigh 100 pounds. Check the shipping weights from Etrailer/RVWholesaler/PLP/Adventurer. EQ and Reese are closer to 75 pounds total and not all that is directly on the TV axles.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
New or used if your RV has a problem you will need to take it someplace. With a used RV you can take it to the best RV shop in the area and that may not be the dealer selling your RV as new. Once you drive off the lot you are really on your own and it is rare to find dealers providing excellent after sale service. And if you have a problem 500 miles from home do you really want to have to find a XXX authorized service center?

With new you do not know what you are getting. With a used RV if there are problems it is going to be apparent and you can look for posts by current owners to see if a particular model or model year had big problems, i.e. structural or with water penetration, poor electrical components used, etc.

You may find that the 2008-2009 model years had a particular problem that was fixed with the 2010 and later model years and then you can make an educated search to find one that is less likely to have problems.

RV's depreciate 25% or more in the first 3 years. That savings covers pretty much everything that can break or fail in the RV.

You can download the trailering guides from Ford, Ram, and GM and see which vehicles can tow safely the trailers you are considering. One advantage of some newer trailers is that the manufacturers have seen a move by people to smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles and so they have downsized and lightened their products as well.

annakwlee
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone confirm my calculations and comment on my asuumptions.

We have bought a used 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 4x2 TRD SR5
-yellow sticker on the door says:
"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1360lbs"

My spouse kids and me weigh 430lbs

Does that mean we have 930lbs leftover?

If I have a 5,500lb TT with 1,500lbs of stuff in it giving me a total of 7,000

Tongue weight at 12% would be 840lbs, that doesn't leave much payload left. Am I doing this right.

All the sudden my Tundra's 10,000lb tow capacity shrank down to 7,000lbs

I haven't even included lbs of weight distribution hitch, those things are heavy.

Would I have any problems going from So Cal to the Sierra's or say 8k feet elevation in the mountains?

annakwlee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your replies, much appreciate reading all the collective wisdom and advice. We have bought a used 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 4x2 TRD SR5 and the yellow sticker on the door says: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1360lbs" My spouse kids and me weigh 430lbs so does that mean we have 930lbs leftover for cargo in the truck bed, tongue weight of the trailer and weight distribution hitch? If I have a 5,500lb TT with 1,500lbs of stuff in it giving me a total TT GVW of 7,000 and my tongue weight at say 12% that would be 840lbs leaving me with only 90 more pounds in TV? Basically the weight of the WD hitch and a few bags. So would that work well and would that be safe and would I have any problems going from So Cal to the Sierra's or say 8k feet elevation in the mountains?

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance camper and if you review the Lance owners website you will find that their after sale customer support stinks. I cannot get parts from them for a 3 year old camper and there are people who have had repair issues with Lance trailers that have waited months to get the parts needed for repairs.

If you check the website irv2.com there are owner forums for most manufacturers' trailers and you can quickly learn which ones and which models and which years to avoid.

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned - skyline rig and 2 keystones... Loved all three.. But if your tow vehicle can't be replaced right now... I'd look hard at a lance trailer... They have a nice triple bunk...
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
My first response with 3 small children and a long ways to go before college and the expenses involved, never buy new, especially if you need to finance your purchase. I made that mistake in my younger years and now only buy what I can pay for in cash. Can also find some deals with cash in hand. Most items that need repair on rv's are the appliances and they are universal. Find a decent trailer and get a 3/4 ton you may want to upgrade at some time. Most do. Your kids will love camping in whatever you get. Just don't overdo it on your first. Craig's list is where I got mine. 97 Excel 5r 28 ft for $6500 two years ago and it is a gem. It can be done.. Good Luck

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
My first response with 3 small children and a long ways to go before college and the expenses involved, never buy new, especially if you need to finance your purchase. I made that mistake in my younger years and now only buy what I can pay for in cash. Can also find some deals with cash in hand. Most items that need repair on rv's are the appliances and they are universal. Find a decent trailer and get a 3/4 ton you may want to upgrade at some time. Most do. Your kids will love camping in whatever you get. Just don't overdo it on your first. Craig's list is where I got mine. 97 Excel 5r 28 ft for $6500 two years ago and it is a gem. It can be done.. Good Luck

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to add 1,000 lbs. to a trailer. Fresh water at 8 lbs. per gallon can easily add 240 lbs. by itself.

I would want to know that my tow vehicle could eventually stop a trailer if its electric brakes malfunctioned, otherwise I would be betting my life and that of any passengers and fellow motorists on the electric brakes working perfectly 100% of the time.

The manufacturers of a 1/2 ton pickup do not expect it to be used at 100% of its load or tow capacity all the time. Most owners never put 100% of the maximum payload in the bed or tow the maximum tow weight and so they do not get into trouble. If you plan to spend months on the road towing a trailer it would be wise to be more conservative and either get a 3/4 ton truck or a lighter trailer.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Many on here consider the Tundra as an almost 3/4 ton, so you may be ok. I agree that I would want room to spare and would not want a TT that was at the maximum capacity of the truck. At least a 1000# cushion for that length and more if you plan to travel in the mountains.

Is the Tundra you are considering the large rear seat (CrewMax I think)? Remember the kids will be growing and will need more room in the future.

I have a 28'Bunkhouse at around 6000#. I only use a half ton to tow for flat trips, 3/4 if any hills are involved.

I wish I had gotten my camper when my kids were the age of yours, I waited till they were a few years older. Good Move and Have fun!

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We have always been of the opinion that a 1/2 ton TV should not try to tow a TT of more than 6000 build weight. That build weight info can usually be found in a cabinet. When you find what can be pulled by your vehicle, you must include occupents of the TV weights and every thing that goes in the TT from propane and water to dishes.

We also would recommend buying used, there are more bunkhouse TT on the market than any other kind.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
kvangil wrote:
Sequoia has payload limit of a little over 1200lbs. That doesn't leave any room for the family after you consider the tongue weight of a 7000lb trailer... I looked into the Sequoia as a "next" TV upgrade, and scrapped it from the list because of the low payload... ๐Ÿ˜ž

And that's the downside to SUVs, less payload.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Sequoia has payload limit of a little over 1200lbs. That doesn't leave any room for the family after you consider the tongue weight of a 7000lb trailer... I looked into the Sequoia as a "next" TV upgrade, and scrapped it from the list because of the low payload... ๐Ÿ˜ž
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6500 pound dry is pushing the payload limits of half tons. See here.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)