Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying RV out of state - what contract to use / other advise

alexwick
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, this is my first post.
I found a RV in NC to purchase. I live in FL.
I am not sure what contract to use?
How taxes are being paid?
In NC or in FL?
How can i make sure the title is clear?
How do I get a Tag for it? (If you buy from dealer there is a temp tag, but not sure how this goes here?)

Any advise would be appreciated to this newbie.

Thanks
Alex
21 REPLIES 21

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add insurance to the list. Taxes may be required in NC. I once paid a driver to deliver the RV to a different state with no taxes where the legal docs were signed. The taxes are dependent upon the requirements of the 2 states when you buy out of state and you don't want to pay twice.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last time I did something like that, I met the person at the bank that held title and cleared that up in 5 minutes. The bank then printed out the needed tranfer forms and letter of payoff. DONE. No "contract" needed. Now, if the person has the title, just meet them at the local DMV and transfer ownership there. Again, don't make it harder than what it should be.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed. Contact both your DMV and North Carolina's.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Call FL and NC DMV and ask them about the title, tag, taxes and transfer to FL. Also ask about your FL drivers license requirement for the RV you're buying.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with your Dept of Motor Vehicles for procedures on how to handle.

If buying from a private party, they should have the title, and you need to look at it to confirm that the VIN on the title matches the RV, that the title doesn't contain any brands like salvage, rebuilt, etc. and that there are no liens on it.

If there is a lien on it you need to make sure the lien is paid off, don't trust the seller to do it. If NC is a state where the bank holds the title, then you need to talk to the bank and get their process for paying off a lien and releasing a title.

You will pay the seller for the RV, taxes get paid to FL when you register it there. You will need top prepare a bill of sale and get it signed by the seller showing the purchase price, that is the amount you will pay taxes on when you register it. Some states have a specific form that the seller needs to sign.

If it was me, it's at least 2 trips to NC. I would go see the unit, see the title, and write up a bill of sale leaving the seller a deposit. Show on the bill of sale what the deposit was and what you will pay on delivery. Take a photo of the seller's drivers license and be sure the name and address matches the title. If it doesn't he doesn't own the RV.

Make arrangements for how and when you will take delivery, pay the balance to the seller, get the title, etc.

Anybody on the forum in the Jax area that can help this guy?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Temp tags are for "after' registration is applied for. If you can't get the tag right away.
Trip permit is what you're asking about and I answered above.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can get a temp tag from NC, or a trip permit, etc, however find out the FL req for licensing. There is a grace period where you don't need to have it tagged after purchase, just keep bill of sale w you.
I'd just buy it and drive it home, not a big deal at all.
Contract? Not sure what you're talking about. Get the signed title, and a bill of sale. End of story. Or a doc from the bank if the title is currently held by a lender. You're unlikely to get the title released instantly unless its literally a small local bank physically holding the title locally.
Is this the first vehicle you've purchased? Out of state makes no difference than in state.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold