cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choosing Campgrounds from the Road

darrenlaiche
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best App or website to choose campgrounds for that particular night from the road? Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

darrenlaiche
Explorer
Explorer
Great info everyone! Thanks!! Many suggested RVParkReviews and RVParky. Pre-planning and Google got some love as well. I will try all of the above and see what meets our needs.

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
rvparkreviews.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The most important thing is experience. As you travel, you will develop a process/ methodology for looking at how far you are going, what type of place you want to stop and what are critical factors for you.

No database, guide, app is perfect for picking RV parks. Even reviews from other RVers have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm of the pre-planning mindset. Nothing better to do on a lazy day than look at Microsoft Streets and Trips and plan out potential trips. But when actually on the road, I'm often distracted by a brochure, road sign, wife's suggestion and we don't end up where we planned to be for the night.

We've gotten pretty good at finding a place for the night, or a few days. One thing, I do research the area/ potential route. And make sure that I have an idea what is available in the area and alternates.

Too often while traveling, an app or phone is useless. Of the apps available, I like Allstays. RVParky is just too short on information where we've traveled, and too hard to sort quickly. I also must have something my wife can use with little 'expertise'. Otherwise, I would have to stop and do it myself.

Try them all, find what feels comfortable. Get some experience. You will find the right one.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We've done two cross country trips of 8 weeks in the past three years and several trips to places we don't normally visit.

I still have a copy of Microsoft Street and Trips on my laptop. It allows you to check a radius of sites around the area where you want to stay. We get a quick look at the available campsites and then go to RVParkReviews and search the area for reviews on the parks we've found. We usually narrow down to the top two nicest parks and then call them in the am on the way.

Often, if we find a couple of parks of equivalent quality and one is a KOA, we usually stay at the KOA. KOA's had a bad reputation in the past, but most are pretty good deals and you know what you're getting.

Many will look for COE parks, State parks and County parks, but those are a crapshoot unless they take reservations. If you're in a large coach towing, you want a guarunteed site when you get there. RVing is once again BOOMING and just trusting you'll get a site can be risky, especially if you're traveling with another couple or have a larger rig.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I use the GodSam GPS. When we decide we are ready to call it quits for the day, we search RV campgrounds on our route. It comes back sorted by milage and we decide how much further we want to go. Usually call campground and make sure they have room and proper facilities (like a drive thru spot for overnight stay).

Works absolutely great.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We use rvparkreviews the most because I trust their reviews.

Second choice is rvparky. I like them because I can put in a route and select an intermediate stop and it will show me all possible places to stay in a braod area on a map. This way I can quickly see how far off the road I might have to drive.

Third is allstays.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
rvparky for us. As long as you have phone service you can get connected with the app. No internet service needed, no hot spot necessary. I find all the info I need is contained within the rvparky app from campground links to phone numbers and reviews and pictures. Check it out.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I normally have a pretty good idea where I'm going to be, and check RV Park Reviews in advance for info on the options. The interactive map function and the state pages' rotating listings of Highly Rated & Most Popular campgrounds can give you additional options, too.
2013 RT 190-Popular

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
CoPilot app is what we use. You can search nearby or in different cities for campgrounds. Some newer campgrounds are not in there but you can add them if you find one that's missing. Also great for finding truck stops, restaurants, and everything else.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... We use Koa or good Sams. We usually plan our trip and night stays before we leave the house by making reservation. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use several sites, but use rvparkreviews.com the most. I was using rvparky, but noticed that most of the time there were no reviews for the campgrounds, no photos etc. so it really wasn't that helpful in deciding which one to use and usually didn't provide enough information to make any decision either. When using rvparkreviews if something sounds good, then I click on the tab for the campground website to discover further.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use the GoodSam app on my smartphone.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry wire and DW drives, so if we are looking for a cg for the night (a rare thing), I go right to RV Park Reviews.

Never been disappointed.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another Allstays user.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...