cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C - Towing Mini Cooper

tafalf
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new Class C Holiday Rambler owner and I'd like to tow my 2009 Mini Cooper behind it. I've heard that I should tow my mini on all four because it sits so low to the ground that a dolly would cause the back end damage when going over bumps. So.... what type of Tow Bar should I use? Do I need to get an Axle Lock? What else do I need to know to do this cost effective but also safe?!?! I welcome ALL comments/opinions. Thanks!!!!!
35 REPLIES 35

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a guy camping in Ocean city Maryland who was flat towing a Mini Cooper and he said it was the easy't tow he ever had. He had a DP ?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
also you don't want to be towing anything on that one road that sort of has a cork screw in it.
bumpy

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
jorn wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Mountain Roads??????

Being that I'd never been in the Black Hills, I came here seeking input/advice from fellow campers. Contrary to what your mocking might suggest, I discovered there are a few steep and/or tight roads in that area that RVers with Toads might want to know about.
Either ask of offer here:
RV.net's Roads and Routes Discussion area
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Mountain Roads??????

Being that I'd never been in the Black Hills, I came here seeking input/advice from fellow campers. Contrary to what your mocking might suggest, I discovered there are a few steep and/or tight roads in that area that RVers with Toads might want to know about.
'16 Chaparral 360IBL & '16 Ram 2500 Cummins

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from a week-long trip to the Badlands.... MINI in tow. I rented a newer car dolly and the whole experience was far easier than I had imagined. I'm glad I had a camera on the back of my RV, because the car was essentially invisible in my mirrors. Impact on handling, acceleration and mileage was essentially nonexistent. ๐Ÿ™‚

B1coastal
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious if anyone has towed the MINI 4 down with a class B and with what equipment?

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like this couple pull one 4 down. here
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
T,

A friend tows a Mini on a trailer. He does this because that way the auxiliary brakes and lights are on the trailer and because he saves the price of the trailer ever time he goes around Chicago, across the Mackinac Bridge or east across PA. If you are planing to go places that are picky and tolly(?) it may be worth your while to get a very light trailer. If that is not in your plans, towing 4-down is much simpler. A trailer is easier to back, but a 4-down can be unhooked driven much faster.

Matt

Excellent post. There are pros and cons to all methods and whats important to one is not important to another. Having said that after towing for years four down I greatly prefer towing by trailer. Depending on your mini model you may be able to get a small single axle trailer. Easy to store at least partially under the rear of the motorhome, the ability to back up, no wear and tear on the car. The down side is takes about 10 minutes to load and go vice 5 minutes for a tow bar. Good luck with whatever you choose.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Roads??????
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jorn wrote:
Hold me, I'm scared...

We're planning a trip (from MN) to the Black Hills of South Dakota for 8 days. I have never pulled a "toad" before. The RV is a '01 32' Class C, and my car is a '11 R57.

I have some options, based upon my assumptions:

1. Tow Dolly
Advantages:
โ€ข Lighter
โ€ข Less expensive to rent.
โ€ข Shorter overall length
โ€ข Easier to stash at campsites.

Disadvantages:
โ€ข My poor MINI may be at greater risk of potholes and road debris.
โ€ข Pretty much impossible to back up. (If I care)

2. Car Trailer
Advantages:
โ€ข Car is "safer" (especially on mountain roads)
โ€ข No messing with aux lights.
โ€ข I could back up if needed.

Disadvantages:
โ€ข Longer overall length
โ€ข More expensive to rent
โ€ข A challenge to park at campsites.

exactly what mountain roads do you anticipate between the twin cities and the black hills?
bumpy

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hold me, I'm scared...

We're planning a trip (from MN) to the Black Hills of South Dakota for 8 days. I have never pulled a "toad" before. The RV is a '01 32' Class C, and my car is a '11 R57.

I have some options, based upon my assumptions:

1. Tow Dolly
Advantages:
โ€ข Lighter
โ€ข Less expensive to rent.
โ€ข Shorter overall length
โ€ข Easier to stash at campsites.

Disadvantages:
โ€ข My poor MINI may be at greater risk of potholes and road debris.
โ€ข Pretty much impossible to back up. (If I care)

2. Car Trailer
Advantages:
โ€ข Car is "safer" (especially on mountain roads)
โ€ข No messing with aux lights.
โ€ข I could back up if needed.

Disadvantages:
โ€ข Longer overall length
โ€ข More expensive to rent
โ€ข A challenge to park at campsites.

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to head to the Badlands this summer and I'm going to (try to) to my '11 R57 for the first time. Leaning towards renting a good dolly.

I'm nervous as hell about hurting her.

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
Some people say its cheaper to rent a car instead?
Drive to where you want and then rent?
But then there is a question of the convenience?

DCPakaMOM
Explorer
Explorer
How I would love to tow a Mini behind my Itasca Spirit - but all this worry makes me almost think it would be easier to have the significant other drive it behind me. ๐Ÿ™‚ Perhaps one day I will understand it all. Good thing I usually go relatively short trips. Although - I do have time to figure it all out as still saving up for the Mini. Dreams..... :C
Donna