cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food & Traveling

RBPerry
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we are brand new to the RV world, and camping. How do you plan your food purchases, how much, dos and don'ts. I guess frozen is out of the question since we can't travel with refrigerator on.
71 REPLIES 71

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Allworth wrote:
I cannot believe that I am the only one on this forum who is NOT comfortable with the propane on while in motion. I turn it off at the tanks. Every time the trailer turns a wheel.

The chance of a propane accident is tiny, but why risk it if it is not absolutely necessary. I watched a TT burn in the median about 10 years ago (after rolling over) and while I know there have been improvements in valves and controls, I'm not risking it.

We usually travel one day and then sit and play tourist for one or two days before moving on. On travel days the critical cold stuff goes in an RTIC (think YETI)cooler with blue ice packs and stays there until initial cool down of the fridge is complete at the new location.

Your trailer; your choice! I don't see it as worth even a very small risk.

But you are comfortable using the same appliance on propane while sleeping ........same risk factor
Same safety controls....excess flow shut off, spring loaded shutoff, thermal bushing, flame proofing lock out etc.

:H

Well have lived in several all gas houses, treat my RV the same way only time my propane is turned off, is the tank I am removing for refilling.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I agree I worry far more about propane fire when sleeping vs. rolling down the road.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
I cannot believe that I am the only one on this forum who is NOT comfortable with the propane on while in motion.
That's fine. We also have people on here who don't trust the gas pump handles to shut off either.

Suit yourself.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
I cannot believe that I am the only one on this forum who is NOT comfortable with the propane on while in motion. I turn it off at the tanks. Every time the trailer turns a wheel.

The chance of a propane accident is tiny, but why risk it if it is not absolutely necessary. I watched a TT burn in the median about 10 years ago (after rolling over) and while I know there have been improvements in valves and controls, I'm not risking it.

We usually travel one day and then sit and play tourist for one or two days before moving on. On travel days the critical cold stuff goes in an RTIC (think YETI)cooler with blue ice packs and stays there until initial cool down of the fridge is complete at the new location.

But you are comfortable using the same appliance on propane while sleeping ........same risk factor
Same safety controls....excess flow shut off, spring loaded shutoff, thermal bushing, flame proofing lock out etc.

:H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
RBPerry wrote:
Thanks for your responses, we misunderstood about refrigerator use while traveling, good news, and you all were a great help, this is a big learning process for us.
BB_TX, good idea to pre-cool.
I think husband has a little fear of propane, he has seen some propane fires.

The majority of RVers travel with the fridge propane side running and no problems with it.
I
Just check out any RV forum.
I'm on 6 different RV forums and found tnat when this subject comes up, most post that they travel with it on, unless its a shorter trip.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
For our month-long September trip from Illinois to Glacier Nat'l Park & back, I plan to fill our freezer with meat/fish from our local butcher - 25 meals worth plus a bit extra if we decide to invite friends to dinner. There's no problem with the freezer in our Lance 1685 (20.9'long) keeping that much Plus I'll freeze a few lbs of deli meat for lunches.

I'll do rough menu plans for 30 b-fasts/lunches & dinner sides and buy everything that's not perishable to stock in the trailer. We have two big plastic containers under the bed labeled "the store" and keep daily use stuff either under the sink or in the drawer under the dinette. So coffee, sugar, coffee filters, cereal, any canned goods on the menu, etc. get stocked ahead of time.

The day before we leave, I'll add fresh produce for a week, fresh milk, bread, etc. Works great & saves spending valuable hiking time looking for a grocery store. When we do stop at a store, it's a quick trip for produce/milk etc. Also saves money because often there is no close inexpensive grocery.

ENJOY!
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
We live in our 5th wheel full time, I do not leave my frig on while traveling. I could, but ours stays cold/frozen during the day while we travel. We shop weekly, or as space allows. Try to hit farmer's markets for fresh, but we usually just look for large food stores. Sometimes it's not great so we just buy as little as possible to get us though to the next area. I always keep canned meats and dry beans if needed.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
frig on at least 24hrs before the trip on all the time after you leave.EXCEPT tunnels and fueling up the rv. as you pull in to a gas station just walk back hit the off button,after pulling out turn back on.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I run with fridge in auto and precool at least 24 hours out
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Why would you turn the fridge off?
You would have more than just frozen food to worry about.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RBPerry wrote:

I think husband has a little fear of propane, he has seen some propane fires.

I'm sure your husband has seen many car/truck wrecks but, he still drives often. Just use a little common sense and propane is no different than the thirty or so gallons of highly flammable gasoline in the vehicle tank.

If possible, 'camp' in your driveway or yard for a few days. You will quickly learn what you need or don't need. And you will be at home so it's convenient.

Enjoy your travels.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I turn our refrigerator on a couple of days before we leave. The night before we leave, we fill it up with already cold stuff if we are just traveling a few hours from home. Upon leaving, the refrigerator is off and the food stays cold for the few hours we are traveling. If we are traveling a greater distance than we shop when we get to our destination.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RBPerry wrote:
Ok, we are brand new to the RV world, and camping. How do you plan your food purchases, how much, dos and don'ts. I guess frozen is out of the question since we can't travel with refrigerator on.

Depends on the size of your fridge's freezer and it's power sources. We bought a rather small TT that came w/ a 3.5 cubic ft fridge and had the manufacturer switch to a similar size freezer only unit since that's more in keeping with how we live at home. We plan to use the freezer goods about 3 days of meals @ week, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Grill or firepit at least 2 day's meals and eat out once @ week.
I'll be utilising Ziploc bags, seal and lock plastic containers and FoodSaver bags to store most of the freeze ahead dishes and goods.
You might be wondering where I'll be storing the fridge goods - in a cooler.

By my calculations the freezer should hold at least 3 weeks worth of food for 2 people. Might be able to fit 4 weeks worth of food if the packing is very organised.

ETA: a 3.5 cubic ft unit is about the equiv. of 100 qts or the large Coleman Extreme cooler.

HTH

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you thought you couldn't drive with the refrigerator on, you should know you can also drive with the hot water heater, furnace and air conditioner on running off of the generator if you have an on-board one for the A/C. (assuming you've made your purchase, your profile needs updating)

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.