cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground clearance/choosing the right set up.

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I was pretty set on getting a class A with some slides, but some of the places I want to go seem to have rough roads, so I am back to the drawing board.

In general, does a class C have more ground clearance/perform better on dirt roads? I'm going to be mostly doing wilderness camping.

Any advice? I know if I had a huge budget I could just opt for a 6 figure off road motor home, but I would like to stay under 20K.

I'm looking at some class C's for around 10K that appear to have higher ground clearance than most all class A's I have looked at.

This is looking like the route I am in right now; a cheap 10K class C.

Also considering class B, but there seems to be a very limited number of used models available for 10K - 20K.

I really wanted a lot of breathing room, but that is not looking like an option considering the dirt road factor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Edit: Looked into slide-ins for a truck and they're just too small.
33 REPLIES 33

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
We started a topic under the name Dirt roads rough roads because we had many of the same questions
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

jrmgreenacres
Explorer
Explorer
Install an aftermarket air bag overload system like airlift. Then you can raise your rig when you need to.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
How rough are the roads you might want to take?

We had a Jayco Greyhawk 23rk. It had a lot of ground clearance...never had to worry about dragging the rear or high centering. Now we didn't go off road or looking for a challenge, but we could navigate some pretty rough terrain. The lowest point was the rear differential and at 8' 4" wide and +12ft tall you have to be very careful about vegetation that wants to attack you. Our set up was about 12000 lbs traveling weight and we had a 8.1 liter engine so power was not a problem as it could be for a larger less powerful unit.

IMHO the bigger problem is that when you head out over some jar your eye teeth out terrain the standard Class C or Class A was not built to tolerate that well. We often found screws that worked there way out and kept tightening things. You need to consider not only ground clearance but also the structure of the Motorhome. Some are better than others. The other consideration is weight. As previously stated a big heavy house on wheels can get in trouble much quicker than one on a diet. And when it does, its much more difficult to extricate.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. If you figure out how you will camp with it, it will help narrow down you choices. If you want to camp in NF, COE, State Parks, BLM CG's for a week at a time I would choose a small class A. Generally the A's have more room, larger water tanks, more ground clearance, and a stronger suspension. A mid to late 90's gas A would meet your price of $10,000. Just be prepared to spend an additional $5000 to upgrade, fix and modify to your liking. With a tow car with high ground clearance you could further explore these and more remote areas.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

For wilderness travel forget about a motorhome but try to get the shortest one you can live with while traveling. Lots more camping spaces available for sub 30 foot RV's and much easier negotiating back roads with a shorter wheelbase.

I agree about the short wheel base. With our Chevy 3500 we often have to work our way around turns on some of the one lane Mt. roads. Also the rear overhang on some like ours has an upsweep on the rear. We have never drug the rear. But I do not go to true 4wd country. Just back roads most dirt or gravel. A couple must carry things are shovel, pick, axe and chainsaw. Often need to make the road a bit better or clear limbs so we can pass. Also if like us you will leave it parked alone for a few days while walking into some place you want to go. Do not have a stand out rig. Just another older C class parked among the old pickups works best.

Being only 25 ft. overall we never worry about finding a spot to park. There is always some small spot for us.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the rear overhang (amount to which the coach rear extends past the rear axle) as that varies widely with some Class A having more clearance than some Class C.

For wilderness travel forget about a motorhome but try to get the shortest one you can live with while traveling. Lots more camping spaces available for sub 30 foot RV's and much easier negotiating back roads with a shorter wheelbase.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
All I can add from experience is a Class C can go more places than any A. It's not just ground clearance it has to do with how much they weigh.

I RV to sporting events and the RV parking is NEVER on solid pavement. Grass, sand, rocks, etc. etc.

A little bit of rain or a little bit of sand and each and EVERY Class A that pulls into the parking area........SINKS. AND you can't pull these out yourself, it is always big rig tow truck time and big $bucks$ to do it.

Every show I have been at has always had one or two A's sitting stuck before they ever go to their site.

I'll take the Class C anytime over a Class A if you even are thinking of not being on a 4 lane highway and paved CG resort. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We like being able to use small campsites and boondocking spots. We decided against a longer C because it wouldn't have been able to handle tight turns in some of our favourite spots. Our 20 footer is almost as manoeuverable as a van. Easy to level in rough campsites.
I was a little surprised to find it has all the room we need and is very comfortable.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Guysakar wrote:
westend wrote:
Another tactic might be to tow a small truck with cap behind the Class A. Use the coach as base camp and explore with the truck or use it for day trips. Anyway you go with a Class A is probably not going to be cheap. If you buy very used, you'll chew up dollars doing repair and maintenance.

If you're set on the room and amenities of the Class C, that is probably the way to go. It may limit you, somewhat, on exploring rugged back country but there are a lot of good wilderness roads out there. In my area, width of trail and overhangs are more the limits than condition of the road surface. Where are you located and where do you plan to go? There may be some members that could narrow your choices because they have intimate knowledge of the camping areas you plan to visit.

Going to west coast, mainly California and Colorado, and am going to live in it for maybe 6+ months (maybe semi permanently), mainly boondocking/dry camping.

I have been researching free/dry campsites here freecampsites.net/#!Colorado&query=region

...in Colorado, and it seems that most of the really good/scenic places say that the roads are not very rig friendly.

I can do my day job from the road, and I love the vagabond lifestyle, so that is basically my goal; to just live for free in an RV out in the wilderness. I will observe the 14 day max limit of most sites, and I like to explore, so the more off road capable a rig is, the more options available to me.

I will also have a dual sport motorcycle with me, on a hitch carrier (another reason I opted out of slide-ins, as you have to remove bike to access camper).

I just need a rig, under 20K, that is roomy enough to live in full time but will be somewhat off road worthy.

The height of the roof - that's another big question. The pull behind trailer or pop up is a great idea, but I really, really want to avoid pulling anything. I just love the idea of everything being contained in one unit. I have had a deep fascination with motor homes my entire life.

As someone else mentioned. Truck camper!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I pop-up is a good choice. There are some with extra ground clearance. You can also add clearance pretty easily. I did that with a pop-up I had and it worked out very well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Now, Ground clearance.. I see DP's with like 2 inches (it seems) of clearance, look like a pot hole and they'd be scraping the road.

Like mine. My Foretravel DP looks extremely low. And it is. I can't crawl under it anywhere but under the engine or in the front. But I do not scrap pavement like I did with my old class c Toyota Sunrader or my old 28 foot class A Allegro that appeared to have all kinds of clearance. Both of them had rear overhang problems. But no way am I going off roading with the Foretravel.

OP needs to look for a Class C without a major rear overhang. Some Born Free models might fit.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can find one (I think the total number produced is in the low single digit range) there used to be a rig called the ALL SEASONS. 4 wheel drive, 44" Cerpex tires (military type) Most of the production run was Military in fact.

Apolo motor homes made it.

That thing goes places that give Jeeps pause.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Another tactic might be to tow a small truck with cap behind the Class A. Use the coach as base camp and explore with the truck or use it for day trips. Anyway you go with a Class A is probably not going to be cheap. If you buy very used, you'll chew up dollars doing repair and maintenance.

If you're set on the room and amenities of the Class C, that is probably the way to go. It may limit you, somewhat, on exploring rugged back country but there are a lot of good wilderness roads out there. In my area, width of trail and overhangs are more the limits than condition of the road surface. Where are you located and where do you plan to go? There may be some members that could narrow your choices because they have intimate knowledge of the camping areas you plan to visit.

Going to west coast, mainly California and Colorado, and am going to live in it for maybe 6+ months (maybe semi permanently), mainly boondocking/dry camping.

I have been researching free/dry campsites here freecampsites.net/#!Colorado&query=region

...in Colorado, and it seems that most of the really good/scenic places say that the roads are not very rig friendly.

I can do my day job from the road, and I love the vagabond lifestyle, so that is basically my goal; to just live for free in an RV out in the wilderness. I will observe the 14 day max limit of most sites, and I like to explore, so the more off road capable a rig is, the more options available to me.

I will also have a dual sport motorcycle with me, on a hitch carrier (another reason I opted out of slide-ins, as you have to remove bike to access camper).

I just need a rig, under 20K, that is roomy enough to live in full time but will be somewhat off road worthy.

The height of the roof - that's another big question. The pull behind trailer or pop up is a great idea, but I really, really want to avoid pulling anything. I just love the idea of everything being contained in one unit. I have had a deep fascination with motor homes my entire life.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would almost think that the ground clearance on a C is less than that of Class A's.

Here's my Class C
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L