cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hard bed

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a new Surveyor Select but the mattress is as hard as a rock. I can also feel the hinges on the fold up storage area underneath as well as the difference in thickness of the pieces of plywood. My other trailer had a Serta mattress but it wasn't much better.
Don't they make box springs for RV'?
Or do I need to put foam rubber under the mattress or what?

Thanks
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
25 REPLIES 25

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Foam topper is what you want. It's actually more comfortable than our memory foam bed at home...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I should have said in my post that my mattress is a Trump Pillow Top. They now are starting to sell them in stores.

They are regular mattresses so the do not have RV tagged on them to make them more expensive.

Cherry

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
We bought 2 single air mattresses and put under out RV mattress. Two singles instead of one queen allows each of use to toss and turn without disturbing the other.
We can also adjust the amount of air in them to find the perfect comfort zone for each of us.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I swear they didn't a mattress in our trailer, they put in a torture device as revenge for not getting the upgrade. We tried padding it but that wasn't going to cut it. We replaced it with a Beautyrest queen as comfy as the one at home.
It is heavier to lift for the storage so I lift the mattress, Honey lifts the cover and locks it up with a tent pole.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
For the popup, our first move was to put carpet underlay under the thin mattress. As we got older, we used Thermarest inflatable mattresses on top.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the responses. My TT has a full sized queen so I found a memory foam topper at Walmart. 2" of support foam and 2" of memory foam for $130.00. I will try it out this weekend.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er came with a pillow top mattress. I love it and it is more comfy than the one in my house.

My son uses my 5er more than I do and he loves the mattress.

Cherry

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
Our factory mattress was as hard as a rock as well. First we added a mattress topper but that didn't work so we bought a memory foam topper. The combination of the two makes for a great night sleep.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
scwerl3 wrote:
Any suggestions for a pop up camper where the beds fold? I have 1989 Rockwood and the beds are pretty worn out. I'm not really sure it's worth putting a lot of cash into it. A topper would be hard to store for travel. Any help?

you'd probably get more answers if you posted a similar question in the Folding Campers forum.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
Inflatable mattresses?

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"

scwerl3
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for a pop up camper where the beds fold? I have 1989 Rockwood and the beds are pretty worn out. I'm not really sure it's worth putting a lot of cash into it. A topper would be hard to store for travel. Any help?

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have a 3" memory foam topper and it makes the bed very comfortable. If you buy one, pay attention to the density of the foam - heavier is better and it should be breathable foam so it doesn't make you hot, or have the cool gel layer. Cheap is not better. These ARE NOT the $20 crate foam tops. We purchased ours at Sam's Club approx 8-10 years ago for $170 queen size. We did not cut ours off, rather the regular queen fitted sheets fit and it just folds down over the bottom of the mattress. I flip the end up and over onto the bed when we put the slide in to travel.

VERY IMPORTANT. There are a lot of pretenders out there. Get something dense. Should feel like it's supporting you and molding to you.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Our mattress was not bad but we added a three inch memory mattress to it and then someone gave us a two inch one. The extra five inches make it great.
I had to cut a few inches off the bottom as it was too long. Just used a pair of scissors to cut it.

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a 3" memory foam topper (not egg crate foam)from Overstock.com and put it on top of the rv mattress. It was a little long so I cut it to fit with my electric knife. Covered the topper and mattress with a mattress cover and now sleep like a baby. I have read complaints of odors from memory foam, but I've never had a problem -- still I would let it expand and air out a good several days to a week before you plan on sleeping on it.

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"