cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I install brackets to roof so I can tie down stuff?

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to figure out how to tie one end of a tarp to the top of my RV. There are no rails or clips to tie it to.

The RV is a 2005 Fourwinds 5000. The roof supports walking.

I was thinking of purchasing a railing, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to drill into the roof. Are there any products or methods you recommend?
13 REPLIES 13

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about plastic stick-on hooks. Maybe reinforced with Eternabond?

Spring clips sound good, but I don't know of any that wouldn't pop off that skinny little gutter in the slightest PUFF of wind. There is just not much for hem to grab on to.

I am interested in this question for my new van. My old one has a roof rack and I clip to that. But the new one will not. I need an awning so rarely -- maybe 3 days a year -- that I don't want to invest in a real one. A tarp is fine, if I can figure out how to attach it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate Post
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
In our younger days, we had a truck/camper with no awning. These were the days before eez-ups and many used a tarp with four poles, one at each corner. I took one of those tarps, added a third brass eyelet and then mounted three of these to the roof edge of my camper.

So one side of the tarp was held onto the roof by the hooks and I used three poles on the other end, securing the poles to the ground with cord.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First a question: HOW TALL IS YOUR RV.. If you put stuff on the roof, and it makes it say 14' tall.. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM (13'6" is the height limit)

Next. Drilling into the roof is not as scary as it sounds

Drill your pilot hole.. Apply Dicor caulk, Apply bracket, Apply screws, And more Dicor to seal the screw head.

Have done it many times.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
juggledog wrote:

I'm taking it to Burning Man, so awning is out of the question - the winds can get too high.

Last year we stayed at the CG at the Grand Sierra who were hosting Burning Man. Had never heard of Burning Man before. At first we thought Reno was a pretty strange town with all the weird looking people and weird looking vehicles around the hotel including some pretty weird RVs. Pretty crazy event! Wasn't hard to tell which vehicles had spent some time out in the desert as they all had the same color of sand coating them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you're taking it to burningman, drilling a few screws into the roof and the potential leaks down the road are probably the least of your rv damage worries! Lol
Otherwise, you'll want to find the framing layout for the roof or it'll pull out of just the sheeting.
With the wind though, just make it breakaway. Clip the tarp to the gutter with some little pony clamps, spring clamps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
juggledog wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Don't you have an awning on that Class C?

Less roof intrusions less opportunities for water to enter.

What's the tarp for?

I'm taking it to Burning Man, so awning is out of the question - the winds can get too high.

If your worried about high winds tearing the awning off, how about those same high winds ripping the tarp and your roof off? I think your best option is to NOT attach anything to the RV, and buy an inexpensive dining canopy.

jwadd
Explorer
Explorer
EternaBond
2017 F350 XLT Premium 4X4
6.2 L Gas
SRW Crew
176โ€ wheelbase 8โ€™ Long Box
184 litre fuel tank

2008 27BHS Hornet

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I'd use a 6"X12" piece of Eurobond and a "D" ring strap.

What is a eurobond? I googled it, but all I get is results for european currency.

sorry, try this Eturnabond
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

What is a eurobond? I googled it, but all I get is results for european currency.

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

What's the tarp for?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

What's the tarp for?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.