Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you seal a sewer hose

jrpend
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings!!

I've got two valtera screw on adapter on my hose ends. I thought screwing it onto the host would be sufficient.

Alas it is not. The leaks are small, but there.

So how do you seal these hoses. I thought of gorilla glue, but that would be more-or-less permanent. I would end up throwing the ends as well as the host - and those darn things are expensive.

Any better solutions.

Thanks,
Jerald
---
Jerald Pendleton
3 Daughters a Wife and
a Terrier with an attitude
http://citizensoftheroad.blogspot.com
Formerly 1990 Southwind 30E (RIP)
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
17 REPLIES 17

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
I gave up on those and started using the Camco Revolution Sewer hoses. They do not leak, they have caps for both ends for storage and they fit in the trailer bumper.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/camco-39624-20-revolution-sewer-hose-kit/6000130570268

x2 My Rhino hose has not left the storage tub since I bought my Revolution.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:
I used dielectric grease (usually used as an anti-oxidation coating on electrical connections). It can be found in large tubes at a big hardware store, in the electric isle.

FYI...I just discovered this (a little slow I guess) but when I need a small amount of grease, anti-seize, or other similar items, O'Reilly's has a rack of all these products in small single use packs. I think they are .99 each. For me, very convenient!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I had to cut a Rhino hose and re-thread an end to the cut, so that the new length would fit in its designated storage space. The hose and the end were new. I used dielectric grease (usually used as an anti-oxidation coating on electrical connections). It appears to have worked. It has not had a vigorous workout, so longevity is unknown. Dielectric grease does not harden, it's a silicone grease, so removal shouldn't be an issue. It can be found in large tubes at a big hardware store, in the electric isle.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I gave up on those and started using the Camco Revolution Sewer hoses. They do not leak, they have caps for both ends for storage and they fit in the trailer bumper.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/camco-39624-20-revolution-sewer-hose-kit/6000130570268

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Do not forget to do a good pressure test by blowing into the commode once all the fittings are on and connected to the dump station. :B

Good point. And after testing the hose, head straight to the 24 hr emergency center to start a regiment of antibiotics and Imodium.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I would try tightening it some more as "Clay L" stated. If that doesn't work, you could line the inside of the fitting with silicone and then screw in the hose.

I would just buy a quality hose with the pre fitted ends. In the overall scheme of things, a new hose every couple of years shouldn't be a budget breaker.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Do not forget to do a good pressure test by blowing into the commode once all the fittings are on and connected to the dump station. :B

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I use a hose with molded on fittings. No leaks and they still fit into my bumper tube. Gave up on all the other ideas.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
I have wrapped a lot of teflon tape around a connector before finishing with a big hose clamp. It worked pretty well.
Russ

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about the red Valtera fittings that screw into the end of the hose, you have to screw the fitting in until the hose is really compressed on the fitting. If you screw it on hard enough there will be no leaks - even with standing liquid in the hose.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Get a PVC tube as mentioned and run a quality hose through it. I will keep the critters from it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
If you are pretty much stationary for a long period of time, why not use PVC and large rubber fittings to make the connections for your sewer? You could probably set the whole thing up for under $30.00 and it would last forever.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

jrpend
Explorer
Explorer
Hi -
It is leaking around the threads at both the coach side and the dump side.

The hose itself is not one of the really nice (expensive) rhino hoses. My experience with sewer hoses is that squirrels (or other critters) bite them. Since we are full time in our home base, my theory was to buy the cheaper hose and just plan on replacing it fairly regularly. The ground connection on the home base (an ex mobile home park) is somewhat unique and requires a unique connection that most likely won't travel. So I'd like to keep that expense down.

Thanks,
Jerald

Dutch_12078 wrote:
Are they leaking around the threads, or around the hose connection...
---
Jerald Pendleton
3 Daughters a Wife and
a Terrier with an attitude
http://citizensoftheroad.blogspot.com
Formerly 1990 Southwind 30E (RIP)
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are they leaking around the threads, or around the hose connection...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate