cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Cargo Weight??

four22
Explorer
Explorer
How much cargo weight should I figure for a family of 4? Loaded (minus water) but with tools and the like...

The reason I ask is I've seen trailers with cargo capacities right at 1000 pounds and that seems really low to me especially figuring 400 pounds in water if you're dry camping...

I know responses will vary tremendously and the scale is the only truth but just trying to get a rough guess of how much is added to a trailer when its "loaded"
18 REPLIES 18

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had mine weighed fully loaded with 1/3 tank of fresh water and holding tanks empty. We had been on the road for 2 weeks so very close to what we would normally carry. This is a 38' 5th wheel and weighed in with 1600 lbs of cargo.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
IMHO, impossible to guess. Only way I know of is to load up for a trip and go weigh the rig.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say 800 to 1200 lbs which includes battery, propane tanks and all the other stuff you add. Seems like a lot though but for some reason when I weighed mine I thought that is what I figured out.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
For a family of 4 for how long (time) and how long of a trip?

As full-timers, we run 650-850 lbs each. But I've got winter sweaters in the rig right now with the AC running full blast in temps over 100.

Because if I don't have them, in January - I won't have them.

Tools - I keep my tools secure in the truck. That saves a trailer cargo capacity.

But the cargo needs of everyone are different.

When our five grandchildren come with us and will be moving - they are each limited to one bag under 20 pounds.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT