cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a tow capacity of 6,200-6,500 enough?

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all and thanks in advance!

I've been going back and forth with the idea of purchasing an SUV or truck. With being a newbie, the process has at times been frustrating and overwhelming. So much to learn! I want to get a 20' travel trailer but don't know the weight ranges? At the end of the day, I wish there was a chart with tow capacity for different TT and sizes. Is there such chart? In the future, I don't see myself upgrading bigger than 25'-30'. What I am trying to ask, would I be limiting my capabilities to pull by getting an truck or SUV that tows between 6,200-6,500? Apologies for rambling but just looking for clarity, thanks
21 REPLIES 21

rebelopie
Explorer
Explorer
Our '09 Jeep Commander has a tow rating of 7500 lbs. We tow a 26' travel trailer. The loaded weight of the trailer is around 6500 lbs, I believe. We live at a higher altitude (7,000 ft) and camp anywhere between sea level up to 9,500 ft. The Jeep makes an amazing tow vehicle with plenty of power needed to pull the trailer over the mountains.

With as many as 5 kids joining my wife and I for camping, the 26' trailer has more than met our needs. Despite the argument that you'll always want to upgrade, I honestly wouldn't want to go any bigger. The size of our current setup is just perfect for camping in all of our favorite places.

It is unfortunate Jeep no longer makes a 7 passenger SUV. I hope the upcoming Grand Wagoneer will offer similar tow ratings as our Commander.
Past:
2001 Alfa Gold GF34RLIKBS
2006 T@B T-16L Towed with 1996 Lincoln Town Car then 2005 Dodge Dakota

Current:
2011 Skyline Nomad 248 towed with 2009 Jeep Commander

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are five things you need to know:
Towing capacity: Hitch rating
Towing Capacity: Max Combined Vehicle Gross weight -minus- Actually groose weight of tow vehicle.. NOTE: This is often lower than the max tow once you add people, pets, luggage and stuff.
Towing capacity: Maximum tong weight or hitch weight tow vehicle can hold.

Trailer Weight: Total GVW of Trailer (Actual weight loaded for travel)
Trailer Weight: How much of that weight rests on the hitch.

The first two you take the lesser number, If the trailer is heavier NO TOW
The 3rd has to be greater than the 5th or NO TOW.

Beyond that I can not advise.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends also on where you live and/or intend to go RV-ing. If you are out on the west coast and plan to tow up and down a lot of hills and mountains, a truck for sure, and not any 'ol 1/2 ton either. Longer wheelbase TV can make a difference too. Payload rating is the primary thing to watch regardless.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
See mileshuff's post above. If you go SUV, you'll likely need to buy a hybrid if you want anything over 20'. I drive an older F-150 with max cargo and max tow and tongue weight limits me to about 6,500 lbs which depending on manufacturer is a 24-26' model in the lights/ultralights. You won't come close to towing that with an SUV or improperly equipped 1/2 tons.

If you go shorter with no slides, you may be at the margins. Still have the problem of frontal area which is limited on many SUVs. Best SUV to tow was probably Chevy Suburban on 3/4 ton chassis.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 20' Hybrid that weighed 5,000lbs loaded using a 2004 Dodge Durango with 5.7L V8. It pulled nicely but would not have enjoyed towing with a smaller less powerful vehicle with a V6. First mountain grade and you'll wish you have a bigger engine!

Keep in mind that max tow ratings are generally given based on only a driver and tank of gas. Subtract weight of other passengers and luggage.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This forum has two sections that would probably be of help: Travel Trailers and Tow Vehicles. You'd be able to get a feel what other travel trailer owners use as their vehicles. Good luck.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I suggest picking a trailer and then buying a truck that can pull it. Don't neccessarily go right up to the trucks limits but no need to go for overkill.

Unless you get a full interstate semi tractor, there will always be a trailer too big to pull.

Plus what if you buy the 1 ton dually diesel and by the time you get around to upgrading to a bigger trailer, the PU has gotten old and needs to be replaced.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Even though you stay you cannot see going above a certain size trailer, if you like RVing, there is a decent chance you will get a bigger trailer in the future. If you look at the progression of RVs people have had, many go bigger as time goes on. I am not guaranteeing you will, but it is something to consider.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life puts it out yearly - lists tow capacities of popular brand pickup trucks. As I stated - it is useless.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
For a 20' trailer, you are probably fine.
For a 25-30' trailer, you may or may not be fine.

There is no chart based on length as two trailers of the same length can have different weights. Often drastically different.

There is a sticker on the outside of the trailer giving the weights. The ones you are interested in are the GVWR (total weight loaded to the max, not the empty weight) and the tounge weight (the amount that sits on the hitch ball).

Your truck will have corresponding capacities for these but you also have to consider what you load in the truck. I believe, the manufacturers assume a single 150lb driver and half tank of fuel. Everything else comes out of the load carrying capability.

The downside of modern SUV's is they are more focused on comfortable ride than the "utility" in SUV. As a result, the tounge weight is often too much for them. Even the lighter duty 1/2 ton pickups may not have the capacity you need (there can be huge differences between 1/2 tons from the same manufacturer).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you should find the trailer/flooplan you like, FIRST.
THEN you go find the tow vehicle capable of towing it comfortably.

We first made the mistake of trying to find the tow vehicle first and were going to get a Honda Ridgeline. but when we then found the trailer we liked, we discovered that it was woefully inadequate to tow it.
we should've found the trailer first, then it would've been easier to find a capable vehicle to tow it.

SUV's are notorious for low payload capacities, compared to their towing capacity. they run out of payload way before they get even close to their towing max. SUV's also are famous for soft suspensions.

as was said, payload capacities are VERY important and often overlooked by newbies who only look at towing capacities.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
What ever you buy as a TV will limit your choices of Trailer.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
And always consider that your second trailer is going to be 25% heavier than your first one!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
There is such a chart but it is useless.

Posted By: Turtle n Peeps on 10/05/15 07:56am

No there is no chart for what you are trying to do.

Ahhh.. I think you two need to have a conversation.

OP... as others mentioned... for 1/2 ton (and sometimes even 3/4 tons) tow vehicles, the vehicle's payload capacity is what will be maxed out first. You can pretty much forget the "tow capacity" as typically it is just the manufacture's figure that is based upon a trailer with NO tongue weight. Most travel trailers will be an approximate 12% of the trailer's "loaded" weight which is usually somewhere inbetween the dry tongue weight and its GVWR.

It's recommended that if you haven't purchased either the TT or the TV, to purchase the TT first and then match up the TV so that it can pull the TT without being closer than 80% of the TV's max ratings.

Hope this helps and good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....