cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this worth it. Or am I in over my head...

vcarvajal89
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys obviously new to the RV scene. I have just purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Southwind, 60k miles on a 454. Now I bought it as a project for only $300. it isn't currently running did not have batteries to get her running on my own but owner did get it to kick over for a few seconds with his batteries.

So what I am after is some honest opinion on is it worth the investment or am I wasting my time and more importantly money.
It wasn't in our plan to buy an RV but the original owner had it posted for $1,000 online. I shot him an offer of $800 and he quickly declined... I wasn't really looking for an RV just a project to keep me occupied during free time. Then one day a friend asked me if I could give him a ride to his buddy's house to pick some tools he left there and as fate would have it there she was the RV I inquired about a few months back. The owner saw me eyeing her down and shouted out "$500 and shes your". I hesitated to answer and just surveyed as much as I could when all of a sudden the front door of the house flew open and out came an angry wife saying this thing has sat to long and she is ready for it to be gone $300 cash and I can take this baby home. The owner threw in a couple batteries turned the engine over for a few and gave me the long story of how his father in law used the rv as a vacation spot in south florida and then he passed away. The RV sat for about 8months when someone broke into it. So then the owner brought the RV home and there it saw for what seems like 2 or 3 years and the owners house.

Now for the bad... I inspected the RV and saw the water damage just behind the drive seat on the roof and wall. And part of the cabinets in the kitchen had some damage. the front door was mangled from the break in and the rest was impossible to reach because they piled junk from floor to ceiling, but from the looks it seemed alright. Finally got her home and cleaned her out and then that's when my concerns started. I thought the leak was only because one of the skylights I'm assuming broke allowing water to get in. I started opening doors and closets and noticed the water made it all the way back to the bed room. So I started gutting her out figured I would go for a clean slate. the more I ripped out the more damage I found until finally I climbed the roof and realized 50% of the rubber material was gone and the roof was rotted away. I started to pull the paneling off the wall and in the front half (so far) the wood was soaked, as well as the wood under the carpet.

So as it sits (from what I know) It needs a whole new roof, all new walls, all new flooring, and new cabinets and furniture.

I am a mechanic so I am fairly capable of the large task at hand just wondering if anyone has taken on a project this big before and if so was it worth it in the end. What are the chances the cost will outweigh the worth of the RV??? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
34 REPLIES 34

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I see a one way trip to the scrap yard. At least get your $ back.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it's sort of like building your own airplane, (homebuilt).
You're not doing it to save money, you're doing it for the "education" and satisfaction.:)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
old guy wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.
my thought exactly

X2

X3

Much better RV`s out there for a few grand! I know you are looking for a project, but not something like that.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
There was a similar looking MH sitting next to a house in my neighborhood, and now is gone. Wondering if you were the one who relieved us of this eyesore.

Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I've fixed up terrible old coaches, too. As one of the above posters pointed out, you can easily spend more than you can buy a better used one for. If you enjoy doing that sort of stuff, it can be really satisfying bringing something like that back but it sure would make better sense to part it out. You should be able to get more than your $300 back BUT getting rid of the shell might be a problem. You might want to see if there is a scrapyard nearby that takes motorhomes and see if they will spring for the $300. RV's never do really make sense, they are just a lot of fun!

JaneNLee
Explorer
Explorer
Go visit www.crankyape.com they will sell your rig and you can bid on another of you want ..Always found for a gas RV FORD is the way to go. Good luck, CU on the road.
Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.
my thought exactly

X2

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have wanted to basically build your own RV from scratch, this would be something like a kit with many of the parts required. In terms of money spent vs. what the result would be worth at sale, it's almost certainly a losing proposition; but if it's a project you want to do for the sake of the project, or if you have some particular needs or wants that are not available in normal motorhomes, it might be a starting point (though there would probably be better ones).

In general, though, I recommend cutting your losses and moving on. Given what you paid, you stand a decently good chance of not doing to badly parting out the systems, assuming they're in working condition. You might also be able to sell it as is for about what you paid, at least in some parts of the country. Around here, even a pretty decrepit $300 RV may well get a taker for a deer hunting camp or similar.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
my thought exactly

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that would have to be a labor of love....

If you really want to spend that much time and money then its really your choice. Im a handy guy, but that would not be something I would tackle unless it was the ONLY way I could have an rv.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Meh, anything but massive rot and I'd probably consider it a good project (if I had the time).
Even if I had the time I wouldn't want to go thru rebuilding all the structure and a bunch of the interior.
Get it running, gut the drivetrain out and find an old pickup with a 6 banger and make a hot rod out of the mohos drivetrain!
That's what I'd do. Sounds like more fun.
Or get it running (assuming the drivetrain is solid, if not, tow the whole mess to the junkyard, based on how rotted you said), find a Moho with a blown engine/trans, that has a serviceable interior and structure. Prolly find that one for $300 too.

However, unless my finances dictated the only way I could travel is in an old cobbled together, might breakdown any minute, Moho, I wouldn't want something so suspect to travel the country in. I wouldn't be above fixing it up and selling it though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I once had one that had 2X4's holding the ceiling up to keep it from falling in, I stripped it all the way to the frame and started over. It took a year but I did finish the job and it looked really good and with all new siding, studs, paneling, roof trusses and roof it should have looked good. I drove it for awhile ad finally gave it to a friends daughter and her hubby as a present. I never regretted doing itand enjoyed every minute..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not worth fixing such an old RV..
IF it was something desireable such as Airstream or Avion then maybe...
Is the roof and walls made of fiberglass?

Maybe you could post pictures to get better idea?

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You wanted a project and you sure have one now.

Get a roof on and seal the walls asap. The rest you can take your time.

http://rvroof.com/