Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large family problem (we are 8)

alegoje
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

What would the options be for a family of 8? I am currently considering the vehicle. The Ford Expedition tows 9,200 lbs with the tow package and we also like the Nissan NV Passenger which tows 8,700 lbs.

Are there any travel trailers light enough too accommodate so many? Camping with the whole family would be my dream vacation, but I am not sure my desire is realistic.

What other vehicles would you consider, and what travel trailers, that could achieve the goal?

I am completely new to towing and RV's so I beg for your patience and help! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!
23 REPLIES 23

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The van will be more effective than the expedition; you have more payload capacity in a full-sized van. Conceivably a Chevy or Ford E-series might be able to be configured for a little more carrying capacity than the Nissan, but I'd much rather ride in the Nissan than one of those for a long distance, thanks to the much nicer seats in the NV (and the ability to space them out for more legroom if you don't need all twelve).

You might also look at motorhomes. My class C can theoretically sleep eight and has seat belts for nine (which may be of questionable effectiveness in a serious crash), although with that many people there is not a lot of weight capacity left for food or water or stuff. You could also tow a small travel trailer or popup behind most motorhomes pretty easily. There are definite advantages to traveling in a motorhome vs. a van or something else, such as having ready access to snacks and books and a restroom.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with much of the advice so far. Take your time and do not buy a vehicle until you understand what type/weight range of RV you want.

You can almost ignore tow ratings with large families and RVing. I would throw that Expedition off your list. Some families of 8 exceed the payload/GVWR without towing a trailer! The NV3500 has the specs/ratings for up to maybe 6500 pound dry RV and a large family, although I'm not impressed with the engine/trans. Two vehicles especially since you probably already have a daily driver with 8+ seats is a reasonable approach if your trips are say less than 4 hours each way. A 1-ton GM van is a good value as well, for up to around 7500 pounds dry TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably going to be happier and cheaper by using two vehicles. One for most of the family and day trips while camping. Another to pull the rig.

You really can't get a decent sized camper with enough beds and some floor space for everyone for a weight that could be pulled those vehicles.

We were a large family growing up, went to the lake every weekend possible in the summer, slept in lawn chairs initially, finally got a tent between my junior and senior year of high school.

Looking back on it fifty years later, my sisters and brothers and I say it was the best time of our lives. Camping is a wonderful way for a family to grow up.

But it was a logistical PITA for my parents, that got a lot easier when they started taking two vehicles.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your problem will be running low on GVWR on the Expeition before you hook up the trailer and add its tongue weight.
You'll have to watch weights very closely.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
My mother's family went camping several times a year with a family of 11 but they used tents. We did the same with four children.

Our Outback sleeps ten but it would not live ten. We put up a tent to sleep children who are old enough. We can hang cheap, lightweight tarps from the awning to make an extra room.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might also consider a hybrid trailer. The pop-out beds will sleep 2 people each.

If you have older children, they might be just as happy to sleep in a tent out back. They would still have access to the RV amenities and be close by. I see people doing this a lot with families.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the age of the kids a viable option to sleep so many is use a nice tent and make an adventure out of it so they want to sleep in a tent.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to a dealer, or look on line. There are hundreds of campers that your family can easily sleep in. Mine sleeps 10.

However. you will need more truck, as all those people will take up ALL of your GVWR, and tow capacity. 3/4 ton, or 1 ton van would prolly be best, OR take 2 vehicles
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Travel Trailers with bunk houses, (extra bunks). I would consider a 1 ton passenger van for a tow vehicle. Some of them can seat up to 12.