cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New/First time owner of 83-84 Rockwood RV

EPLPA66
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys! New to the forum and in need of any possible assistance. Ive recently purchased a 27'1984 Rockwood class c RV in great condition and cant find much info anywhere to assist me with familiarizing myself with operating all the features of the RV. There are a few switches I'm unsure of and a few cosmetic details missing. Does anyone know where I can find documentation or pictures to help? Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

BillW44
Explorer
Explorer
EPLPA66 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys! I have downloaded manuals for all of the appliances,pumps,ac,etc... amazing what you can find online. Theres under 30k on the rv and the undercarriage and engine are very clean. Im currently in the process of changing out fluids and a general tuneup. One leaking window that produced minimal damage is all I've found so far. Im going to do any repair myself with 20 years in mobile home repair and construction I'm confident I can handle most issues I encounter. I've traced and identified all but a few switches. One I'm not sure of is next to the bathroom door about 2 feet off the floor. Its an on off switch.? Seems like an odd location. Also, any recommendations for online stores for parts and resources?

likely a switch for the outside step to retract automatically.

ebay sometimes is a good source for old manuals.

EPLPA66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info guys! I have downloaded manuals for all of the appliances,pumps,ac,etc... amazing what you can find online. Theres under 30k on the rv and the undercarriage and engine are very clean. Im currently in the process of changing out fluids and a general tuneup. One leaking window that produced minimal damage is all I've found so far. Im going to do any repair myself with 20 years in mobile home repair and construction I'm confident I can handle most issues I encounter. I've traced and identified all but a few switches. One I'm not sure of is next to the bathroom door about 2 feet off the floor. Its an on off switch.? Seems like an odd location. Also, any recommendations for online stores for parts and resources?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well Eplpa,

You either have a treasure or a cash-sink. Old motorhomes can be either and it is now pretty much up to you. (That is assuming there has been no water leakage.)

First thing you need to do is confirm the manufacturer and model of the chassis it was built on. There aren't many choices, but you will need to have this tied down to get any parts you need for the running gear. Also, find and acquire all the technical manuals you can for that. You may not need them now, but you will need them.

Even on a coach this new, there will be age issues. If you do the work yourself (none is difficult) it will not be expensive. If it does not get done or at least attended to, it can get very expensive - fast.

Next, plan to flush the brake system, and the cooling system as the brake fluid has aged out and can become corrosive and the coolants corrosion inhibitors has be expended. This will be easier as you will probably end up replacing a hose or three. Suspect any rubber part. They just don't last forever, regardless of care. As soon as you can, collect the DOT dates on the tires. has a nice page about this. Believe the people that tell you that eight years is the life and in hot areas it can be less. The damage one tire self-destruct can do will be a great deal more than the cost of a full set of tires.

The rest of the issues are with the house part. Remember that this was built 30+ years ago and has been though a 20 year long earthquake. As said above, the manuals are out there. You just have to do web searches until you find them all.

Can a coach this old be reliable and enjoyable??
Look at the picture in the sigfile. That coach is a decade older and we just returned from a 3500 mile excursion.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
seriously doubt you'll find any documentation for a 34 year-old RV.

you can get the model numbers and try and download manuals for important things, like the fridge, converter, a/c, furnace, WH and so on. but don't count on the manufacturers to still have that old of a manual still around.
lots of the manufacturers may have gone out of business.

Rockwood hasn't made motorhomes for many years.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes