cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVing, concerned with safe traveling

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I are new to the RV world. I used to camp in a waxed canvas tent throughout my childhood and then in the newer lightweight tents as an adult. Now that Im married with two small boys (4 year olds) we thin kthat it might be fun to own an RV and take off on weekends, school holidays and summers to go see America.

We've attended a few Rv shows and really like the Winnebago Ind. Sunstar 32k or 35b bunkhouse MH's. My main concern is safety. Are motorhomes safe to travel with such small children? I know they would love to be in the bunks while traveling, and I know that is NOT the safest way for them to travel in the MH while in motion. For the boys to be in car seats latched into a couch seatbelt seems like traveling would not be much better than in our 2011 Ford Explorer.

I guess I'm looking for comments from other parents, grandparents, and the community on how best to:
1. Choose a well constructed "safe" coach.

2. Travel safely with 2 small boys.

I welcome everyones opinions and comments as it would ease both our minds.
Thanks a bunch.
46 REPLIES 46

JBinOR
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar discussion when we were first looking. I think that Coachmen had more seat belts than most. However, we decided to go with a trailer and tow vehicle instead of a MH in part because everyone can be facing forward. Many kids get car sick riding sideways or backwards. The last thing we wanted to do was buy a MH and realize that we either had to deal with that constantly or trade-in.
1999 Chevy Express 3500 5.7L
Jayco 26BH

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Executive wrote:

For the overprotective bunch.... how many kids are belted in while riding the SCHOOL BUS...:h....City Bus..:h.....Tour Bus...:h....If you don't know, the answer is ZERO.....Dennis

You are right but there are people who don't put their kids on school buses or city buses for the reason there are no seat belts.

We have no control over those buses but we do have control over our own vehicles.

If you have ever watched a child being thrown from a vehicle onto the highway and then hit by another vehicle you may not think...oh well, it won't happen to us! Trust me, it sure makes you face reality.
\
School buses are the safest vehicles on the road. That dicider between each window is a steel frame that goes from the bus frame, around the top, and back to the bus frame. There are about 13 of these on most buses. Seats are very close together and very high backs. I just saw a video on Fox news of the inside of a school bus as it was hit by a drunk driver in a SUV head on. No children injured. If you can say that "all of your troubles are behind me" you are probably a school bus driver. 50+ years driving a school bus as a PT job.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
A class A motorhome should do better in a crash than a class C motorhome and a class B is going to be the safest. I would rate this as an extremely unlikely event. You would create a greater risk for them if you smoked inside the RV than the odds of a traffic accident causing them harm.

I would want to be sure that they did not inadvertently interfere with the driver while motoring down the highway as that would be dangerous.

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, sales people will sell you the fantasy. The reality of life on the road can only be told by the people who are living it. That's why we want to know how people operate out on the road. I admit the idea the sales guy painted about the kids drawing at the dinette and my wife making coffee sandwiches in the kitchen while I'm driving g down the roadway seemed a little too good to be true.

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
After a full day of skiing, we think the dinette is the safest place for them...

The couch is for the dog...

or sometimes the front seat...
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Snobrdr314 wrote:

Does everyone traveling with toddlers stop for bathroom breaks or can they run with mom to the bathroom and then get back to their seats like in flight bathroom breaks? Does anyone make sandwiches while moving? The sales people we spoke with all seemed to promote the idea of life at home Going on as usual just at 55 mph. They're talking about preparing meals, walking around, making a pot of coffee all while rolling to your destination. With our pooch too. It didn't sound really safe to us, but what do we know, we don't own an RV, never have, never even been in one rolling down the highway. So please excuse or ignorance. Again that's why were here asking questions. I suppose I need to see where the seatbelts are placed in the vehicles we'd consider, and probably show up at the dealer with our car seats to install to see them in action.

Personally, if an adult wants to get around and make a sammich, coffee, or sit on the dumper, they can make the choice to do so without me stopping if they tell me to keep going on - it's their life in their own hands. However, the child(ren), I, as the driver, am responsible for. If my daughter needs to go to the bathroom, the MH will make a stop.

Of course, a salesman will say all the things they need to say to make things seem ok. The capability is there to do all of that without stopping, for sure. Ultimately, it's up to you (or whoever else will be getting up and walking around) if you (they) want to take that risk. Probably 999 times out of 1000, there will be no issues or problems. But I certainly wouldn't want to have a look at the aftermath that 1000th time.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

For the overprotective bunch.... how many kids are belted in while riding the SCHOOL BUS...:h....City Bus..:h.....Tour Bus...:h....If you don't know, the answer is ZERO.....Dennis

You mean buses that protect passengers through a compartmentalization design that includes:
•Seats with high backs;
•Seats filled with energy-absorbing material;
•Seats placed close together to form compartments;
•Strong seat anchorages.

Does any of that exist in a motorhome?

A front end accident on a bus, an unbelted child (or anyone for that matter) will move all of a foot... maybe a foot and a half. How far will an unbelted child in a MH travel before they contact something, probably something without any padding whatsoever?
1999 Itasca Sunrise

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
To address the question... the only vehicle with federal safety requirements is a standard truck or auto. The rv conversions do not have to meet any federal safety crash test standards. Your kids are not safe in a "bunk" and they are not safe in a couch seat belt and then again they are not safe in an Expedition either. In the case of the Expedition, Ford has extensively tested and designed the vehicle to be safer for the occupants.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are concerned about you children being safe in a motorhome, you want a motorhome constructed on a monocoque or semi-monocoque chassis. They hold up much better in a wreck that a motorhome built on a rail frame does.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Our grandkids travel with us for their summer vacation. Seat belts are mandatory if you're in the front seat, otherwise they're optional. That said, it's up to me as the driver to determine if they should be belted in when underway. Road conditions and traffic help in that determination. Otherwise they're free to roam, use the bathroom, watch TV or fix a snack.

The difference is those vehicles have a structural integrity that will survive crashes and protect its occupants. The interior components, in those vehicles, have been designed to protect occupants and minimize injuries in a collision. I doubt the refrigerator door flying open in a crash and an occupant being flung into it have been tested and designed to minimize injuries. Your motorhome and all others as well will crumble like shredded wheat if it collides with something and especially if it rolls over. If you ever saw a RV after a crash, you would rethink your strategy.

rvhippo
Explorer
Explorer
Snobrdr314 wrote:
Does everyone traveling with toddlers stop for bathroom breaks or can they run with mom to the bathroom and then get back to their seats like in flight bathroom breaks? Does anyone make sandwiches while moving? The sales people we spoke with all seemed to promote the idea of life at home Going on as usual just at 55 mph. They're talking about preparing meals, walking around, making a pot of coffee all while rolling to your destination. With our pooch too. It didn't sound really safe to us, but what do we know, we don't own an RV, never have, never even been in one rolling down the highway. So please excuse or ignorance. Again that's why were here asking questions. I suppose I need to see where the seatbelts are placed in the vehicles we'd consider, and probably show up at the dealer with our car seats to install to see them in action.

It depends on the RV. The longer the wheel base and the more stable the handling, the more stable the interior will be in motion. A wide-body intercontinental wide-body jet will be more stable in flight than a 21-passenger commuter prop plane. I'd put a big class-C as the same as being in a large commercial jet experiencing mild turbulence - the wife can go use the bath room, but a man should sit down on the toilet if he is going to urinate or else he's going to wash down the interior of the bathroom (this is why an airplane bathroom is filthy after a 12 hour flight). Depends on the road, traffic and the driver. Again, to use the airplane analogy, there's mild turbulence where you can still walk around (carefully) and then there's turbulence where people are floating zero-g style in the cabin and are going to require hospitalization when the plane lands. It's up to you to determine the rules you are comfortable with in your own vehicle.

As for safety - the FMVSS rules for RVs are a joke. Standards for: seat belts, roll over protection, impact protection, fire protection, etc. are almost non-existent compared to a passenger vehicle. The "house" section of a RV is incredibly flimsy compared to a unit-body car. That said, a big motorhome is high up (usually above the level of impact) very heavy and has a huge frame (this is the safety strategy that school buses (which have no seat belts) use to good effect). If you get hit by a small sedan at low speeds, you'll probably do fine. If you roll or flip the RV, the entire house section and anyone in it will disintegrate.

If you want maximum safety - a pickup truck or class B van will be safest. They have full metal bodies that have passed minimum roll over and impact standards (well at least before they chopped the roof off) and seats that conform to FMVSS standards. Newer models have stability control and ABS brakes.

My recommendation is to RENT a couple of motorhomes or trailers. Class A, B, and C and see what you like and if it is compatible with what you want to do. If you rent from a local dealer, they may give you credit if you buy a new unit from them.

EDIT: You'll find most RVs don't have shoulder belts or LATCH hooks for child safety seats (remember, very lax safety rules for RVs). If shoulder belts are available, make sure that you can lock the pretensioner to secure the safety seat. If not, the seat won't be securely attached (again, very lax safety rules for RVs). See if the belts are anchored in metal or just the wood floor.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Snobrdr314 wrote:

Does everyone traveling with toddlers stop for bathroom breaks or can they run with mom to the bathroom and then get back to their seats like in flight bathroom breaks? Does anyone make sandwiches while moving? The sales people we spoke with all seemed to promote the idea of life at home Going on as usual just at 55 mph. They're talking about preparing meals, walking around, making a pot of coffee all while rolling to your destination. With our pooch too.

We haven't had experience with toddlers but we have taken the pre-teens with us. For them - and us - we basically don't ride without being belted. Kids can have a plastic tub next to them full of things to do. They don't have to roam around. I will say that ONLY if we're on a straight road, not full of curves, will we get up to use the bathroom. We will also grab a quick snack and bring it to the seat with us. We have used the crockpot for a easy dinner waiting for us but we know to put it in the sink so it doesn't fly off the counter during a turn or unplanned stop. I wouldn't trust a coffee pot on the counter unless it was a perfectly straight highway.

It is extremely difficult to walk a straight line in a moving RV. If seat belts are there, use them. Why risk injury? You may be a cautious driver at slow speeds but you never know what another vehicle will do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that being strapped into a seat is a lot more comfortable than being strapped onto a stretcher.
Ray

BoatCop
Explorer
Explorer
From a strictly legal standpoint, many states exempt recreational vehicles from child restraint systems (read seat belts, booster seats, child safety seats, etc).

I know that Arizona does. A quick check of a few other states show that the child restraint laws apply to "passenger vehicles" which are defined as, something to the effect of, "passenger car, light truck, sport utility vehicle, passenger van designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver, truck, or truck tractor," which a motor home clearly is not.

As far as seat belts, it also depends on the state. In Arizona, front seat passengers must be restrained, which would also apply to children in the co-pilot seat. Although a car seat or booster probably wouldn't be required, as most RVs would not have the structural mounting points, and such vehicles are specifically exempt under the law.

CHECK YOUR STATE, OR THE STATE YOU'RE TRAVELING THROUGH, FOR PARTICULAR LAWS AND/OR EXEMPTIONS.

As I said, this is from a strictly legal standpoint. Beyond that, your rig - your rules.

Here's an All In One guide to Seat Belt laws (US):
http://www.rvhelpdesk.com/seatbelt-laws.html
Alan
BoatCop
1999 Southwind 34L
2013 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ (TOAD)
Sampson (The Bloodhound)
Delilah (The Basset)

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
Great comments. Day to day we tend to be part of the ultra safe worrier group. This is why we pose this question before going any further into this new adventure. Sure, we could tent camp until the boys are 8-10 years old... But the fact remains that they'd still Be crazy over those rear bunks and want to ride in them at 10. Clearly were all on the same page that it is not safe and it shouldn't be allowed. Ever I guess.

Again i appreciate all comments because how else do you know what goes on in an RV when you're new to the lifestyle.