cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie looking for Travel Trailer Ratings

adventurechuck
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I've been digging around looking for reviews on different travel trailers and I've YET to find a brand that people are not bashing... Anyone haave a good link for some honest owner reviews of travel trailers??

My criteria...

Want to spend in the 30K range. Lighter Weight 30' range max. (No 5th Wheel)

I started down the road with Grand Design and then found a TON of negative reviews. Then I went down the same road with Dutchman... same thing. Some happy campers but lots of UNhappy ones.

Any help toward some review sites (or personal experience) would be appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously considering GD when its time to get a fifth wheel. Both those links seemed to have the same reviews - Google had 12, and only 2 or 3 were really negative. They are supposed to be one of the better designed units. I took a tour of a Reflection fiver while at a Georgia state CG this year. I was riding by and struck up a conversation with the owner. Very nicely appointed.

I'd check for local dealers and go see one for yourself. Thanks for the links though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You won't find good reliable data for free. Depending on what you are looking for I think there is some value in this (clicky), especially if you are a newbie.

adventurechuck
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
adventurechuck wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
I'd like to see the negative reviews on Grand Design.

Here's what I was referring to... these are all recent. I was pretty much headed that direction but this many complaints have me wondering.

https://reviews.birdeye.com/grand-design-recreational-vehicles-472431648

I read through all the complaints (2 pages worth) and find nothing different here than an any other RV on the road. The complaints are typical. Furniture that is uncomfortable, and problem with pipes freezing, and furnaces not keeping up. I know, for $95,000 one would expect more. But when purchasing, you always have the option to walk away if you do your research ahead of time, (and I think the OP IS doing his homework so he's not going in blind and dumb and falling for every trick salesman and manufacturers pull.)

But as far as the Grand Design goes, it probably is one of the better RV's. Furniture can be swapped out. If you're really interested in a specific model, then challenge the salesmen for different furniture, especially if it is stand alone furniture and not built in.

Cold weather camping? I do not think there is any RV that is truly zero degree weather factory ready. All of them take some extra precautions and prep work before winter hits.

Furnaces and air conditioners? A simple bit of math vs the size of the camper and you'll be able to figure out immediately if the furnace or air conditioner will perform under the extreme conditions (true for any camper).... which, by the way, none will. That's why there are so many threads on these forums about adding second air conditioners or upgrading from 13,500 to 15,000 BTU's and why furnaces run 24x7 when the temperatures get below 32 degrees. This is all typical of an RV. Nothing unusual. This is just the nature of the animal.

The thing you have to ask and REALLY look for is the overall construction which separates the low-end from the high end. Wall construction, roof, frame, windows, structurally, how sound is the camper? Can it take a beating? Can it be lived in 24x7 (if you are planning full timing). Can it be drug across the country from coast to coast 50 times and still not fall apart. That's where the real "quality" makes the big difference and separates the sheep from the goats.

Most of the items they are complaining about on that site are really superficial, and probably people so picky, they really don't have a clue.

About customer service and manufacturers. There are some folks who are so "self-entitled" they truly believe everyone should bow down to them and worship their feet! When something takes longer than 15 seconds they complain. They expect everyone to jump because they snap their fingers. Then cry like babies when they don't get their way IMMEDIATELY! Reading through the posts, it appears that Grand Design did help and did their best to accommodate every issue. For some cry-babies though, it wasn't enough or fast enough. One thing you learn with RV ownership is to take your time .... with everything... When camping you should not be in a rush, enjoy the moment, traveling and the destination. Enjoy the pre-trip planning and packing. Enjoy the return home and the unpacking. Take your time traveling, see the sites, smell the roses. AND when it comes to working with dealers and manufacturers, you can't rush that along either. This is truly a misconception to a lot of folks have. Spend $95,000 on an RV and they expect everyone to snap at their command. Um... face it ... you are not FIRST in line YET! You have a few folks ahead of you sir!

I don't own a Grand Design, but I've seen several of them and talked to their owners. I'm impressed by the Grand Design, and every owner I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say. Only one lady I talked to didn't like their floor plan, but nothing negative about the actual camper integrity itself. I have no investment in Grand Design, but I do get my feathers ruffled when I read reviews like these. They sound like cry babies who are truly clueless.

From my perspective, if you can afford the Grand Design, you won't be going wrong. But I do love my Keystone Outback and it's been a fantastic camper too! And cost a lot less.

Good feedback and appreciate your time... I've been an avid Motorcyclists for years and have spent plenty (too much really) time on Forums like this and I see the same thing there... This brand sucks, that brand is awesome, don't ever go there, etc... So I get it but I also understand why someone who spends that kind of $$ and has a bad experience is pissed. I've been there myself o a 30K motorcycle but the key I've found is to have a good relationship with the dealer you buy from. The good ones will take care of you when needed.

Thanks again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
adventurechuck wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

Here's what I was referring to... these are all recent. I was pretty much headed that direction but this many complaints have me wondering.

I read through all the complaints (2 pages worth) and find nothing different here than an any other RV on the road. The complaints are typical. Furniture that is uncomfortable, and problem with pipes freezing, and furnaces not keeping up. I know, for $95,000 one would expect more. But when purchasing, you always have the option to walk away if you do your research ahead of time, (and I think the OP IS doing his homework so he's not going in blind and dumb and falling for every trick salesman and manufacturers pull.)

But as far as the Grand Design goes, it probably is one of the better RV's. Furniture can be swapped out. If you're really interested in a specific model, then challenge the salesmen for different furniture, especially if it is stand alone furniture and not built in.

Cold weather camping? I do not think there is any RV that is truly zero degree weather factory ready. All of them take some extra precautions and prep work before winter hits.

Furnaces and air conditioners? A simple bit of math vs the size of the camper and you'll be able to figure out immediately if the furnace or air conditioner will perform under the extreme conditions (true for any camper).... which, by the way, none will. That's why there are so many threads on these forums about adding second air conditioners or upgrading from 13,500 to 15,000 BTU's and why furnaces run 24x7 when the temperatures get below 32 degrees. This is all typical of an RV. Nothing unusual. This is just the nature of the animal.

The thing you have to ask and REALLY look for is the overall construction which separates the low-end from the high end. Wall construction, roof, frame, windows, structurally, how sound is the camper? Can it take a beating? Can it be lived in 24x7 (if you are planning full timing). Can it be drug across the country from coast to coast 50 times and still not fall apart. That's where the real "quality" makes the big difference and separates the sheep from the goats.

Most of the items they are complaining about on that site are really superficial, and probably people so picky, they really don't have a clue.

About customer service and manufacturers. There are some folks who are so "self-entitled" they truly believe everyone should bow down to them and worship their feet! When something takes longer than 15 seconds they complain. They expect everyone to jump because they snap their fingers. Then cry like babies when they don't get their way IMMEDIATELY! Reading through the posts, it appears that Grand Design did help and did their best to accommodate every issue. For some cry-babies though, it wasn't enough or fast enough. One thing you learn with RV ownership is to take your time .... with everything... When camping you should not be in a rush, enjoy the moment, traveling and the destination. Enjoy the pre-trip planning and packing. Enjoy the return home and the unpacking. Take your time traveling, see the sites, smell the roses. AND when it comes to working with dealers and manufacturers, you can't rush that along either. This is truly a misconception to a lot of folks have. Spend $95,000 on an RV and they expect everyone to snap at their command. Um... face it ... you are not FIRST in line YET! You have a few folks ahead of you sir!

I don't own a Grand Design, but I've seen several of them and talked to their owners. I'm impressed by the Grand Design, and every owner I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say. Only one lady I talked to didn't like their floor plan, but nothing negative about the actual camper integrity itself. I have no investment in Grand Design, but I do get my feathers ruffled when I read reviews like these. They sound like cry babies who are truly clueless.

From my perspective, if you can afford the Grand Design, you won't be going wrong. But I do love my Keystone Outback and it's been a fantastic camper too! And cost a lot less.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
RV manufactures create and kill brands and models very often, as well as change suppliers of components in model lines and make 'tweaks' from year to year. I think that makes it very difficult to find accurate information on quality, each RV might as well be a unique snowflake.

My parents have had 2 Airstream TT's, one a 1949 and the latest 1978 model. In between those they've had several others and were never happy with anything else... I'm sure that there are complaints about Airstream as well (besides the price ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

adventurechuck
Explorer
Explorer
adventurechuck wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

Here's a link to the Google reviews...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=grand+design+RV&lrd=0x8816f95580a3a291:0x177054c019a5ceae,1,

adventurechuck
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wouldn't it be wiser to base it on what floor plan you are looking for.

We recently purchased a new trailer, and based our purchase on the floor plan that we wanted.

When we were looking we found one that was absolutely the exact plan that we wanted. The dealer then showed us the highest quality one he had on the lot which would have been absolutely useless to us.

We have been trailing for 15 years, and I have seen good and bad in just about every make.

It appears that Air Stream is the quality one, but I would never even want one.
Every time I go in one it seems too dark inside, and the cabinet space is affected by the curve of the roof.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that any rankings would be more on individual trailers than on manufacturers. No matter how good or bad the reviews are it seems to be a **** shoot, at best, on what quality you will receive on your unit. The advice already given is probably the best you will find. Pick the trailer that fits your needs and deal with any issues that arise.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO Wuality and pride of workmanship are sorely lacking overall in the RV industry with few exceptions. Airstream being one. Camp Lite and Lance also are pretty good quality. I spent countless hours in the archives before I purchased my current rig...
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

adventurechuck
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the feedback... I was just hoping for somehting like "Yelp" for RV's ๐Ÿ™‚

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that people post what they are unhappy about. If we all posted on what we are happy about it would overwhelm the site. If you find a manufacturer that is of interest search this Forum for `manufacturer' then search the results for `problem'.
We have had virtually no problem with our SunnyBrook even after more than 13 seasons so I won't state anything about that.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For every one negative, there are multiple positives that never get mentioned. Find the floor plan that suits your need, then look for the best price or what you are willing to spend.

I know of no such list you are asking for. The only ranking is by the manufacturers themselves, listing as entry level, medium level, and high end or...

Standard, Select, Premium, Luxury. (and prices that match)

But as far as a ranking for "quality", it's anyone's game. In the end, it comes down to how much you are wiling to spend and the floor plan that works for you.

I do think that AirStream is still at the top of the list, has been for a zillion years. I think that's the trailer that has set the standard for everything else. But even AirStreams can have their problems.

Rank is by "how expensive", that's they only "rank" you'll probably find. A guide? Nah! Scan the various manufacturer forums or RV forums. Real live people will give you more information. But remember, behind every complaint, there are many more satisfied consumers that never say a word.