Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie RVer - need help with tech stuff

g_reyes
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Just stumbled upon this forum a few days ago whilst Googling a few things for my new RV. I'm already learning tons so I'm thrilled I did.
My name is Gabby. I'm a bit of a tech geek but as this is a whole new area for me I need help.
OK first off, I have Clear Internet. I have a wireless modem; the model is The Clear Hub Express. What I'm trying to figure out is could I take this modem with me and have it work in the RV cross country? Clear says that you can take their internet with you but I don't know if I have to change plans and modems to do that.
Secondly, I'm also trying to figure out what satellite or TV service to use. Dish for My RV sounds like my best bet but I also don't know if theres anything else out there. Opinions on Dish? Rants? Suggestions are also welcome.
Also any other tips or tricks for someone completely new to RVing would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
G. Reyes
Newbie RVer & Road Navigator
5 REPLIES 5

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have Verizon Mi-Fi Jetpack 4G for internet. When we had stick house we used it there and took it with us.

We have DirecTV and had it in stick house and took it with us. Get an extra receiver to leave in the RV. Less trouble. Whatever dish you get, get one simple to operate with a satellite finder. That was the biggest challenge for us. Finding the satellite signal.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Explorer
Explorer
Clear has this page on their website for Mobile Broadband -

http://internet.clear.com/mobile-broadband.html

There is Dish and there is Direct TV - you will need an satellite antenna that will work with the system you pick. Dish has a special program for RVers with a pay as you go plan so that you don't have to take the service all year if you don't want it at home. Some just take their plan from home and take it on the road with the proper tuner in the RV.

http://www.dishformyrv.com/

You will find various satellite antennas from Winegard. You need a clear view of the sky for them to work. If you are under heavy tree cover you will not get a signal.

If you go to commercial campgrounds most include Cable. And you should have a digital antenna on the RV to pull in local broadcasts - this can be very important if you are in a storm situation and need to learn what the local weather and news are saying.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider posting technical questions over in the Technology forum on this site for more answers. (Not saying that folks here in Beginning Rving couldn't answer you question 🙂 but you'd have a bigger specific audience on the other forum.) Perhaps the moderator will move this one for you. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We had Clear. Had as in Past tense. Google up "clear internet reviews" you'll see why.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't rule out the National Broadcast Digital TV from the local towns. A big improvement when they went digital a year or so back...

This is full blown high def wide screen digital HDTV. I get 6-36 local stations here on the East side of the US just about everywhere we go...

I use the OTA BATWING antenna and point it to the local town that is transmitting the HDTV signal. Goto setup select ANTENNA and scan away...

These are high VHF and UHF signals now so you have to really be right on the digital signal. Not like the old analog VHF signals.. You either get a great full HDTV signal or nothing at all...

I know alot of folks like to get the SAT TV going but after the Natl Broadcast came out we stopped bring along all of our STA TV Receivers and portable dish... HIGH DEF TV is much better. It is also FREE to the public.

This is also a great big PLAN B when the other stuff doesnt work. You need to check into it just for the PLAN B thing...

I use the VERIZON MIFI unit for our internet use. This works anywhere you get a VERIZON CELL PHONE signal which is just about everywhere. My contract dataplan is only 3GB but only cost $27 a month so hanging on to it until they run me off. The MIFI creates a local WIFI HOTSPOT for up to five of your WIFI enabled devices... I use my big Dell M90, wife uses her HP laptop, and we both run our tablets all at the same time...

The 3G network is not the biggest thing in the world but we get to check our emails, pay our bills, and keep tabs on the kids... Later on I may upgrade for the 4G networks but where we camp they are not usually available anyway... Only the metroplex areas supports the 4G large data areas.

We mostly camp off the power grid and like to stay out a couple of weeks at a time running off our battery banks and recharging our batteries every morning using the 2KW Honda Generator running the off-road POPUP trailer for three hours each day.

Pretty successful doing this over the past five years...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS