cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not beginners, just unsure of what to buy next.

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a quick recap:

Started off tent camping, got a pop up, moved up to a hybrid, moved up to a 38 ft tt (WAY too big for us), was given a free pop up (FAIL).

So we are now in the market. We only camp 2-3 times a year. It's me (the wife), DH, 15 year old DD, 14 year old DD and 2 medium/large dogs that camp.

We really like the hybrids with the 3 beds that pop out. It would be great for when our girls have friends come with us (which, they usually do). because they would be on one end of the camper and have their own space without us having to put the couch or dinette down. I figured when the girls go off to college, then we would just use the beds for storage and the dogs could have their own bed.

YET, there are some amazing deals on really roomy 5th wheels with large living spaces. The con: the kids would have to sleep on the couch/table/floor.

I don't know what to do. The thought of all their stuff strewn about the main living area stresses my OCD brain out. Also, I hate the thought of them sleeping in the main living area and DH and I being confined to our room in the evenings. Teen girls like their privacy...especially when they have friends with them.

Do I focus more on what works best for us NOW? Or do I focus on the future?

We currently found a nice hybrid that has the 3 beds for a great price. We just don't know what to do.
Just sold 38' Coachman Catalina
Ford F250
Kia Soul
24 REPLIES 24

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
If the kids are in high school, I would be the rig that you and DH want. Like others have said, let the kids set up a tent. If they choose the tent, it can be a very fun experience. They get to pick the gear that suits them.

We're a family of five. We used to camp with my mom in a 28' class C with twin beds. It worked great except for having a car to run around in without breaking camp.

We now have a T@B. When we use our add-a-room, there's room for our 3 to sleep on cots or air beds. Since they're now 24, 23, and 20 it's rare we're all together anyway, but room if we are.

You could go with an add-a-room that attaches to your awning instead of a stand-alone tent. I've heard that type is a hassle, but maybe the kids would benefit by the shared space with the trailer, as well as the AC/heat. Our add-a-room attaches in a completely different way than your average trailer, but our AC cools the room very well and it acts as one space.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
If you only camp two or three times a year why don't you just rent a rig.

That was just the past couple of years and it's because of our daughters activities. We plan to camp much more starting next year.
Ford F250
Kia Soul

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
If you only camp two or three times a year why don't you just rent a rig.

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we went to look at the hybrid and while it was very nice, I just couldn't stop thinking about how I really want a slide and also, I kept remembering how uncomfortable those mattresses were on the beds. I need a normal bed mattress.

Every time I look at a camper, my mind goes back to this one particular 5th wheel that we looked at earlier this year. It's this particular one:

http://www.crrvc.com/NewFW/NewFW08/NewFW08.htm

It was perfect. I loved that the bunks were big enough for two people to sleep on each bed. I just loved everything about this camper when we looked at it. It's just not within our budget. 😞
Ford F250
Kia Soul

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
We bought 6 years ago when the kids were 9 and 11. We bought a class c with twin beds in the back and a solid door on the bedroom. With a boy and girl we knew we wanted them to have their own beds.

The dinette makes into a bed and we sleep up on the over cab bed.

The kids have not brought along a friend in the 6 years we have been rving, but we have had grandmothers along several trips.

We have talked about what our next rv may be, but for the time being we are happy with our 27 foot C.

We have each used the RV for adult trips, him fishing with the guys, her camping with the girls.

I work 6 days a week now, and it is hard to get away, but we do not regret buying and having the opportunity to head out at a moments notice.

Once both kids are gone and our mother's do not travel with us, we may look for a smaller rig, or keep this one,

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You sound very hesitant about a 5th wheel and it seems like you love the hybrid so it seems you answered your own question. 🙂 I really don't think you'd like the sleeping arrangements for 2+ teens in a 5th wheel unless you gave them the bedroom and you take the couch!

I think you'd love a toy hauler if you keep looking and find one in your price range. It would be an ideal 2nd bedroom for the girls. However, you'd have to get a truck to pull it.

Rentals are too expensive and you'd have to get a long one which ups the price.

Have you considered renting a cabin a couple times a year instead? Get one on a lake where the girls could swim, canoe, kayak, etc. and they'd have a ball. Good luck!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what works for you.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy for me, especially when you are talking about a couple times a year. They can have their privacy when they get home. It's only a matter of sleeping. We learned our lesson. Bought our 31' TT with quad bunks. We only have one child at home but thought she would bring friends along 3 yrs later not a single time did she bring a friend. Moved up to the class c. Much better for us all around.

If you are going to only use it a couple times a year, I would just invest in a couple nice tents. One for you and hubby and other for girls.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yes...we will go more. We used to go a LOT. Then our girls got involved in competitive cheer, so that's why we don't camp as much. Summer weeks are full of cheer practice and fall/winter weekends are full of competitions. As of next year, they will only be doing high school cheer which will leave more time for camping. My oldest is on the HS team this year and it doesn't take up near as much time as the competitive cheer. The HS team only takes 2 local trips (2 hrs away).

So next year, we hope to camp a lot more.
Ford F250
Kia Soul

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If the only reason you are thinking about buying a 5er is that it is an "amazing deal" then it really isn't. If you are only going two or three times a year, will you ever in the future go often enough to justify the price tag, depreciation, storage and maintenance? Personally, I would rather spend all that extra money going camping.

DH and I are addicted to camping - we spend at least 100 nights a year in ours. If it was only 10-15, I really don't think we would have upgraded.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
sillynikki wrote:

We only camp 2-3 times a year.
It's me (the wife), DH, 15 year old DD, 14 year old DD and 2 medium/large dogs that camp.

YET, there are some amazing deals on really roomy 5th wheels with large living spaces.
The con: the kids would have to sleep on the couch/table/floor.

I don't know what to do. The thought of all their stuff strewn about the main living area stresses my OCD brain out. Also, I hate the thought of them sleeping in the main living area and DH and I being confined to our room in the evenings. Teen girls like their privacy...especially when they have friends with them.

Do I focus more on what works best for us NOW? Or do I focus on the future?

Mmmm...
I'd buy for the future me.

The offspring can have loads of fun outside the coach in a large comfy tent.
Teach the girls to set up their own camp alongside the large comfy fiver that mom and dad bought for mom and dad.

The girls will absolutely love their own little space away from the parents.

The parents will start to go more than 2-3 times a year because they have a nice roomy fiver.

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Get what you need NOW if you can afford it-simple as that.
If in the future the situation changes make the necessary adjustments,life is to short not to enjoy things we can afford.
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy what YOU and the spouse want. The kids can sleep in a tent outside along with their gear if need be and soon they won't be going with you. When they no longer go with you, you will go more often. Less to pack, less to cook and you can do what you want to. College is around the corner so do what fits for you and your pocketbook. Our kids still come, age 24, but they have their own unit now. I couldn't handle the stuff either.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
This is our current 21 ft Puma toy hauler. The two queen beds drop from the ceiling and the sofas make a bed. (I'm tired of climbing over whoever is sleeping on the sofa bed in order to get to the bathroom.

Oh, I would looooooove a toy hauler!!!! Those are my FAVORITES! We haven't found any under $10,000 though. We're wanting to stick as close to $7,000 as possible. We made a profit off our last camper and have a budget that we are sticking with.
Ford F250
Kia Soul