cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patio awning question

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I brought home a 91 Winnebago Chieftain 32' that had been well cared for. Today I was out cleaning and messing with it. I lowered the awning, undoing all the latches the former owner showed me and it sort of fell open. I pulled on one end to extend it and the roller pin on the other end came out of the bracket. Got on the ladder and stuck it back in until it locked. Extended the awning and cleaned it and let it dry. Went to put it up and it wound itself back up and stopped with about 4' of awning left. I was able to get on the ladder and hand wind it all the way forcing it past a couple of stops. Certainly don't want to do this at a campground. So did I do something when the rod end came out of the bracket?? Did a spring unwind or something like that? Awning is a few yrs old.
oh yeah...I'm a graduate of the "we don't need no stinkin instructions" school of thought. I read them afterward.
8 REPLIES 8

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
As I recall on my A&E Awning each spring has a specific direction to wind it.
One spring goes one way the other goes the opposite way. Once you figure out the direction of each spring, its not really that hard to rewind / tension.
Just be careful when its under tension.
Good Luck.

Both turn the same way, if not they'd be fighting with each other. Direction to turn should be marked on the end cap of the arm.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I had the spring removed from my carefree and converted to a crank like this... for a short person traveling alone it is much easier to use... even my 23 yr old DS said it was easier than fighting the spring loaded thing..

If your spring is broken, you may want to consider this.. guys came on site and did this for me in less than 30 minutes.. FYI, I knew it was much better for them to do rather than me, since I am not so good on ladders and am old enough it HURTS if I fall.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I recall on my A&E Awning each spring has a specific direction to wind it.
One spring goes one way the other goes the opposite way. Once you figure out the direction of each spring, its not really that hard to rewind / tension.
Just be careful when its under tension.
Good Luck.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an A&E(Dometic) both ends have springs. If the roller pin came out of one end then it no doubt unwound so you only have spring tension on one end to roll it up. The roller pin should be fastened to the end cap of the arm. It slides over and is pinned to the shaft that goes into the roller tube. It will have to be secured, not sure which end came loose on yours. Then have to remove end cap from arm and turn it to tighten spring inside roller tube.

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
If won't go all the way up there is something wrong with the spring or springs. You can either troubleshoot and repair it yourself or get someone who is experienced to do it.

I do most of my own repairs, but for the awning I have it fixed by a professional. There are lots of guys who come to you for on site repairs. Perhaps you could find a guy like this. I would imagine that one of your springs is broken and will have to be replaced.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Path1. Great diagram. Will print it off and laminate. Anybody know if I am going to have to repair this to get it to roll all the way up?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a graduate of the "we don't need no stinkin instructions" school of thought. I read them afterward.

I'm not either, But with my junky manual Carefree of Colo I have a checklist just for the thing. To expensive to miss a step. I printed out pic and had office depot plastic coat them.
One side for set up and other side for take down.

I can't believe the whole thing is held together by a metal clip little bit bigger than a paper clip, atleast on mine

I'm really disappointed by the awning. Old RV was A&E awning, much better IMO. But I'm going to get as much use out of it as I can.

(edit part) OK found check list for awning here on this forum and here is link if you have same type. I did have to add one step.
"make sure clip is engaged and insert golf tee as chock block at clip"

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27211361/gotomsg/27211606.cfm#27211606

P.S. not following directions if 1/2 the fun sometimes, But not for the $$$ Rv dealers get for these things.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
You are on the right track. Probably one of the springs came unwound or broke. Winding one is not "rocket science", but it can be very tricky and folks have suffered serious injuries from a "slip" of the vice grips. If not broken, it can be rewound, if broken it must be replaced. I am not an expert awning repair person, but I have seen what you described and have seen folk repair them. Best to have two folk for the operation. Good luck. I'm sure others will provide more information.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."