cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems unique to Toy Haulers

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We've never had a TH, but have been thinking of adding one to the fleet. Any issues/considerations specific to Toy Haulers that i should look out for? (prob looking at a shorter TT or 5er.)
7 REPLIES 7

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
SAR Tracker wrote:
Fresh water: get a model that has a fresh water dump valve. Or install one. Otherwise, you have to empty thru the sink, into a gray tank, then out the pooper pipe.

Gas tank / station: Ensure your gas station / generator fuel pickup is near the bottom of the tank. Otherwise, one or the other will run out.

Definitely prefer one with fresh water. A neighbor had a some hard time with water access on their last TH.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, folks!

At the moment, my toys only consist of bicycles and kayaks. But a dirt bike or a 4wheeler (a pair of Rokons is just a thought at this point) is a possible future add. Nothing particularly heavy, just enough to offroad a bit in western deserts for rock hounding. No plans to treat the space as a garage once we park- we intend to secure the toys outside and use the space as living area. And i definitely watch weights/towing capabilities.

Megadesertdiese
Explorer
Explorer
wall sag is a toyhauler issue. No interior perpendicular walls to support the cabinets and heavy fiberglass siding. Lippert only puts so many frame out riggers to support the walls and usually between the wheel wells the sagging is the worst.

everything coming loose due to rougher roads taken to get to trails, have to stay on top of al the little things.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
We've never had a TH, but have been thinking of adding one to the fleet. Any issues/considerations specific to Toy Haulers that i should look out for? (prob looking at a shorter TT or 5er.)

What toy are you going to haul?
Do you want a separate garage from your living space?

We have a very big 5th wheel, with a smaller garage. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh water: get a model that has a fresh water dump valve. Or install one. Otherwise, you have to empty thru the sink, into a gray tank, then out the pooper pipe.

Gas tank / station: Ensure your gas station / generator fuel pickup is near the bottom of the tank. Otherwise, one or the other will run out.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I can think of is that a toy hauler will usually have a heavy tongue weight as comapred to a normal trailer. This is for the weight of the toy you nay have in it. My Catalina has a dry tongue weight of 957 lbs. but has come down to 825 with my harley loaded.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 2 toyhaulers, both a TT and 5th wheel and now have a traditional 5th wheel. I can't think of anything that is unique to a toyhauler. Just make sure your truck is big enough to pull it, as they typically are heavier.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor