cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane hookup for outside gas line

tensch
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me trailer came with 2 propane tanks connected to a single-tank regulator, and another propane line before the regulator that runs to the outside of the trailer. This was done with numerous tees and fittings by the previous owner. I have installed a new 2 tank regulator, but still need to hook up the outside line before the regulator. My thinking is to get a Y splitter for one of the tanks and just hook it straight into that. Any issues with this? And is there any significant difference in the numerous tees and splitters I see on Amazon?
Thanks for the help!
9 REPLIES 9

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
You can do either way.
If you use the line before the tank regulator, then keep the regulator on the grill.

If you plumb into the line after the tank regulator, then remove the regulator from the grill.

Only have one regulator between the tank and the grill. Two does not work.

I plug mine into a regulated line, so I removed the grill regulator. However, I have the regulator on quick connect fittings with all the adapters so I can hook it up to a separate 1 lb bottle if I want, or a separate 5 gal bottle.

This is good advice that goes to when you have to remove the regulator on the bbq.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can do either way.
If you use the line before the tank regulator, then keep the regulator on the grill.

If you plumb into the line after the tank regulator, then remove the regulator from the grill.

Only have one regulator between the tank and the grill. Two does not work.

I plug mine into a regulated line, so I removed the grill regulator. However, I have the regulator on quick connect fittings with all the adapters so I can hook it up to a separate 1 lb bottle if I want, or a separate 5 gal bottle.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

tensch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I would install an Extend-a-flow setup as you said on one of the tanks.

I'm With Enblethen.... In fact that's how I did it.

I have seen some of those home-brew high pressure "T" installs and .. Well.. RUN is basically what I did. they scared me and that's not easy to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

X2. That kit is made to do exactly what the OP wants to do. Had one on my old trailer. Comes with the hose too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, either get the Y and hook up directly at the tank or plumb so there's regulated pressure to those extra ports and remove the regulators from your BBQ, etc. to use them (which is what I did).

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would try to get it back to original.
Bill and Joey the dog

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“This was done with numerous tees and fittings by the previous owner.”

What are the previous owner’s qualifications to do this? How long ago?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad