Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling a TT that is pulling a Boat Trailer

matthewijenkins
Explorer
Explorer
Is this possible or legal?

Hi everyone. I used to own an RV and had to get rid of it. I'm looking to get back into the game. However, I'm really into fishing since I got a little 14' aluminum fishing boat and take it whenever we go camping. I'd hate to go without it at this point.

But when thinking about getting a camper again, I'm not sure what to do. I don't necessarily want to have to take two cars. Can you pull a camper that is also pulling a boat trailer? Would this be too complicated?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has solved this problem. Thx!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost
23 REPLIES 23

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Laws vary from place to place and from time to time

I recall in MI in the days of old it was allowed to pull a BOAT trailer (nothing else) with a 5th Wheel Camper pulled by a proper tow vehicle.

Today that law is less restrictive. (I won't tell you what it is cause frankly I don't know any more)

Other states. and some citie in MI. other rules.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest way to get the facts to your question is to pick up a Motors Carriers Manual at a truck stop. They list the answer for all the states.

Not Legal in NC.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. Put a boat loader in your pickup and have fun.
https://mrtrailer.com/safetyhitch.htm

Bring a fat wallet.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue not mentioned is how does one stop the three vehicles? Surely would not want to pull this thru the mountains.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
In addition to the legal aspects, what is the hitch weight of the boat trailer (fully loaded).

One of the reasons 5th wheels are allowed is 5th wheels normally start at 20-25% of the trailer weight on the hitch and the spacing of the 5th wheel axles, means only around 50% of the 2nd trailer hitch weight comes off the pin weight...therefore it's usually not an issue.

On the other hand, bumper pull trailers usually run 12-15% on the hitch and due to wheel spacing, closer to 80% of the 2nd trailer hitch weight comes off the pin weight...this makes it far more likely that the hitch weight on the main trailer is too light and it gets squirly when towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
boats are cheap and readily available around here. switch to an 3 bench aluminum. my 14 footer can easily be lugged around by 2 and there are many options lighter. or get a truck camper and tow as normal if you can afford enough truck.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DO NOT rely on the thin bumper on the back of your tt. have a real hitch installed.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Legal in Calif towing a TT or a 5th w as long as you have the proper qualifications
samsontdog:o:W

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Not legal in Florida.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
MH-Motor Home
TK- Truck camper

Yep - sorry, typo. I fixed it.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Not legal in New York state!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For what you want to do, take a camper and a trailered boat in Ga, either a Motorhome pulling your boat trailer, or, a truck with a slide in camper with the trailer behind.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TK would be a Truck Kamper. It's double towing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
matthewijenkins wrote:

From what little research I've done, it seems like it's only legal to tow two trailers if i have a fifth wheel.

Isn't that triple towing and a no no in GA
bumpy