cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacement hand held shower

jayflight116
Explorer
Explorer
Another maybe dumb question. I would like to replace the cheap hand held shower in my trailer. Can you use one say like you would use in your house? one from Lowes. looks like it would screw on same way. thoughts? suggestions? thank you
12 REPLIES 12

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased ours at Lowe's. We specifically looked for one that had an on/off on the hand held spray area as we shut our off when soaping up or shampooing the hair, we do not let it continuously run the entire time we are in the shower.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp sometimes, so not only are we concerned with the higher water flow, most RV type shower heads have a quick shut off for "military style" showering.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've replaced mine with one marketed for the home. However - in the RV I really need to be able to shut off the water at the shower head in order to conserve water. Most of the ones for the home do not have a shut-off valve as part of the shower head. Fortunately, I discovered one of these which allowed me to install a shutoff valve even though the shower head I bought was without one.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jayflight116 wrote:
Another maybe dumb question. I would like to replace the cheap hand held shower in my trailer. Can you use one say like you would use in your house? one from Lowes. looks like it would screw on same way. thoughts? suggestions? thank you

Short answer YES you can all of them have the same (1/2 inch IPT) fitting.

Long answer.. I would (And did) take this chance to upgrade to an Oxygenics Body Spa from your local RV dealer.. It really is an upgrade.

Oh and you can get one for the house too if you like, both work in both places.. NOT a "Cheap model" however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
We bought an Oxygenics from CW when we had our first trailer and hove now transferred it from trailer to trailer to trailer.

Wouldn't be without it.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I replaced mine easily with a standard hardware store model.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The threads are standard 1/2" NPT, the same as used in residential showers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced an outside shower hose that had a broken fitting. I found it difficult to use fixtures designed for houses and just went with a similar hose from an RV supply house. The threads were much different.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Yes the threads should be the same. Because of water flow limitations in RV's, many opt for one of the Oxygenics type shower heads that supposedly introduce air into the water flow to provide a stronger shower with less water. We have used one and it did seem to help.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Oxygenics seem a favorite, but they all use basically the same threads to install.
Shower review
Any can be bought from Amazon or a home supply store.
One thing I would watch for is flow rate.
And whether you dry camp it matters too. With traditional water heaters, low flow 1.25 to 1.5 gpm units work fine, with tankless water heaters you will likely need 2 gpm.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I know the kitchen sink sprayer is same hose threads as I had to replace it so should be same in shower. I admit have been wanting to do the shower since 2011 just never get to it. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Yes. Personally I would replace the entire shower valve assembly. They are all so cheap and don't work that well. But the wand/hose will screw into the existing fixture.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS