cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV internet gaming

opencircles
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a good internet that would work for Xbox Live.
25 REPLIES 25

Dhomps
Explorer
Explorer

nice post 

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
opencircles wrote:
If I wanted to go camping I would buy a tent. I am looking at fifth wheel campers for work.

Good answer, way to give it right back. Hope you fund what you need.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
As with most things, this old saying holds true in for internet service:

pick any two: 1) fast 2) cheap 3) reliable ... I picked #1 and #3 with Verizon, and my large phone bill reflects that ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
opencircles wrote:
Thats pretty good what is the maximum download a month?

Depends on what you buy. For my wireless connection from ATT I'm buying 4 GB a month, for $40, shared among up to 10 devices (currently five active) with per device connection fees starting at $10 a month (i.e. a tablet) but other devices like hot spots have different charges. Overages on this plan are $15 per GB, added in 1 GB chunks.

Other mobile data plans might go to 20 GB or 50 GB at rates somewhat under $10 per GB, but you have to be careful, because if you buy a lot more data than you use, you end up paying more per GB than you should. Just like calling plans, if you buy "unlimited" calling for $50 a month and make only 10 five minute calls, you are paying $1 a minute and you get pay-as-you-go for a small fraction of that cost.

Land lines, I can get U-verse (DSL) for $25 a month, 150 GB data plan. $10 for each 50 GB overage. But that's slow (0.5 Mbps) at that price, and I think it is an introductory offer, might actually be $40. Higher speeds for higher prices, but what they are currently offering me maxes out at 1.5 Mbps, too slow for what I do.

All of these phone company prices, those are just the fees for service. Whether mobile or land line, you might also see $10 to $30 in taxes, universal access fees, 911 fees, regulatory fees. How this works out depends on how many lines you have, as some fees are per connection, others flat rate per customer, and some a percentage of the bill.

Cable company is usually the bargain for bandwidth. I get 50 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up for $30 a month, 50 GB plan (but they don't gripe until I hit 300 GB in a billing period). They do throttle, however, but on the 50 Mbps plan they throttle me to 5 Mbps, which is still fast enough.

Other cable companies have similar rates, sometimes different rates for different speeds and usually commercial plans with higher limits and more speed for uploads. Just how far any wired provider will go with speed and data limits depends on your location and the equipment available. You don't get fiber optic speeds if you are beyond the range of where they've strung the fiber. You don't get cable at all if they haven't brought the cable out to you.

On top of whatever the rates for service, with cable you also pay sales tax and service fees, but no Federal excise tax.

Sometimes where there is a demand, and there is no fiber, cable, or DSL strung, someone may be providing direct microwave service, but you have to be able to put an antenna line of sight to their nearest antenna, and if that takes a 200 foot tower you have to buy the tower.

What you can get always depends on where you are. People who live in densely populated areas are accustomed to having whatever connection they are willing to pay for. 4G LTE, sure, just a matter of how big a data plan you want to buy. Get out of those areas, you might be 3G, or less than 3G.

In 15 minutes I can drive to a location where I can get no mobile data at all from any provider, there is no cable, there are no landlines because it is rangeland and horses and cattle don't watch TV or make telephone calls. In 40 minutes I can drive to where there is no mobile voice service. Huge areas of the middle of the country are like that.

Where I go camping? The past two years I've had intermittent mobile voice, and a GPRS connection. If I can find a high enough spot, I might get EDGE or I might get 3G. To get 4G I have to drive six miles to the highway, where there is a cell tower serving a truck stop; I expect that is the source of my lesser services when out at the campground.

Besides the what service you can get where issue, there is also a length of contract issue. Particularly where someone has to install equipment, there is usually a minimum contract for service, and there might be a high buyout price if you are on the move.

I suggest you consider Verizon mobile, because you can take that anywhere Verizon has service, which includes most heavily populated areas. Your contract does not require you to stay in one particular location, the only hitch being if you move to someplace where the service provider is a Verizon roaming partner and stay there too long. I had Verizon's predecessor cancel my contract because I lived in an area where they no longer had a license to provide service, and I was permanently roaming (that's why I had to switch to ATT).

Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint all have pay-as-you-go plans, and there are other data service resellers that use one or more of these networks. What I've found with provider-branded pay-as-you-go is that the service does not roam, like contracted service does. If it is not the provider's tower, the pay-as-you-go instrument does not use it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
motorcycle jack wrote:
opencircles wrote:
The modem from a cable service would be great. Thanks for all the info.

Or you could just buy a spool of FIOS wire and hook it into the closest FIOS distribution point, unroll the spool to your camping destination and PLAY AWAY. Really, gaming in a 5th wheel while camping is like knitting while scuba diving, it can be done but WHY?

Pretty sure he's implied he's using a 5er as housing while he travels for work. Really more a residence than camping. Maybe I misread but I've had friends who move with the oil industry do this.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
opencircles wrote:

Or you could just buy a spool of FIOS wire and hook it into the closest FIOS distribution point, unroll the spool to your camping destination and PLAY AWAY. Really, gaming in a 5th wheel while camping is like knitting while scuba diving, it can be done but WHY?
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

opencircles
Explorer
Explorer

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated:

Using your cell service would be cost prohibitive
Satellite service has too much latency
Wireless at campgrounds is usually pretty awful. Even if it is good, they will throttle your use of they think you are using too much bandwidth. For example, they will not allow you to watch online video using their wireless.

There are some RV parks (I do not know a percentage) that have cable TV and the cable company will put a wireless modem in your coach if you will be there for at least a month. We did this when we were living in an RV park waiting for our house to be built. It worked great and the price was reasonable. You will need to contact each park you want to stay at to see what is possible at that park.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the sticks and had satellite as my only option for years. It sucked and there was no way it would work for gaming as the latency is off the charts. It's just not good at a lot of back and forth chatter as the data is beamed to outer space and back.

As far as CG wifi, I have yet to find one that is useful for anything beyond checking email and facebook.

You definitely could use an ATT or Verizon hotspot and get really good performance if you are ok with the bill you might get. You might want to contact your current home provider and find out what your typical monthly usage is. That should allow you to calculate what your wireless bill might come in at.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

opencircles
Explorer
Explorer
play any games?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
opencircles wrote:

Dunno, haven't hit it yet. I've been a customer of Big Red for nearly 20 years, grandfathered into a very old plan. Used 30gig over memorial day weekend while hiding inside from the rain ๐Ÿ™‚

opencircles
Explorer
Explorer

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
There is a recent thread if you search. Satelite internet has too much latency for gaming. If you are set up at a fixed site for work, your best bet is to see if you could get cable internet or DSL (not sure how that would work in RV).
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Some mentioned cell being slower than DSL. I beg to differ, DSL is the slowest internet you can get, next to dial-up.

Go with Verizon... here's a recent speed test of mine.

Long as you're parked near a city of decent size. Oil-fields of North Dakota / Montana won't likely have this level of service.