cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV show madness

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Went to RV show yesterday. Always interesting to watch people and see latest is on the market. Main focus, like always seems to be price. Lots of pricing was "how much a month" and lots curtained off "closing room" cubicles to get up and personal with your finances. Lots of left over 2015 models marked down to make way for 2016's. Couple RV's were good in my opinion but many I'm not sure they would make it pass the amount of time they would be financed for. One OEM (Grand Designs???) had caulking that looked like Dicor and was tinted to match sort of silver metal fake of siding. I never knew you could tint caulking.

And of course lots of things not so good, here is prime example. Anybody see anything wrong?

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:

Finally found what I looked at I think. See how there is a door in between 2 slide out on curb side? See how kids could use the toilet inside without tracking stuff thru out RV? This RV would never work for us, but good idea on use of bath IMO

http://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2016/roamer/fifth-wheels/RF384BHS

It also looks like the outside door is the only possible way to access that half bathroom when the slides are slid in. It is an interesting layout.

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:
Always funto see newunits and look for flaws. Am I the only one who believes in saving for, not financing, a new RV? Is there a worse investment on the planet? Maybe a boat.

Let us be honest. with RVs costing more than I financed my house for. Not every one can save up 30K+. and one of the good things. You can use the interest for taxes. I finance mine for 12 years, and pay them off early. That way I'm never under water on them.

And to be truthful. My Dad was a truck drive. I called him one day, and he said he was going "out", and we would get together when he got home. Well he never came home. He died in a rest area in Nebraska. So ever since that day. IF the kids, DW, or I want to do something, and I can make it happen. Even IF I have to borrow to do it. I do. Do I owe money? Yep. Do I pay it back? Yep. Is my credit good? 802 score. So yep. Do I get to do things I want to now? Most of the time. I may be gone tomorrow, and all that won't matter. Then I'll be debt free. And to answer your next question. DW will be too.

To each his own.

Sorry about your father...things change too quickly
My life is run much like yours...my grandfather worked his whole to save up for retirement and passed away 2 months later. I know what I can afford and what I can not, I know what is realistic and what is not. If I want to do something I do it. Like you stated...I owe I owe so off to work I go. But, I have never missed a payment for anything. And we usually pay off early.

Just because I do not have the CASH to buy something does not mean I can not afford it. My family time is worth the debt that I owe.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's wrong in the photo? Ummm.... It's an RV??

When I look at RVs now, all I see is swiss cheese. I can see right through all the holes to all the problems underneath. After 3 TTs in just 3 years, I've become hardened and cynical. 😞

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I went to a show sponsored by La Mesa a few months ago. Tried asking a sales person a few questions about some of the RV's. She kept asking what my time frame for purchasing was. When I said I'm just looking to see whats new and might interest me she said 'Well, you're certainly not in the market to buy today' and proceeded to another person and ignored my questions.

Sales is an interesting business. It's worth noting that the word "interesting" is often used as a euphemism.

The goal at a show is sales. Some sales managers are very short sighted. They want the sale NOW, and don't think about where the sale tomorrow or next week may come from. They lean on their sales people to get sales "now", sometimes even invoking "or else".

Some sales folks are only paid commission. If they don't sell, they don't make anything. It sounds like she may have been in such a position.

While she should have used at least some amount of tact (which might have brought in that sale tomorrow or next week), she was most likely in one of these positions. It's unfortunate.

To most sales people, they don't care what they sell. It might be toasters or medical supplies today, and will be Fords or Evergreen RV's tomorrow. What matters is if they can sell to someone that's interested in buying.

I did some sidelining in firearms sales at one point. I helped a couple one day where the husband wanted a specific semi-automatic for his wife. It was quickly obvious that a revolver was really the right firearm for the wife. I also helped her figure out which one she could use most reliably and effectively. Her husband was insistent on something else. I walked him through the reasoning several times. They left without making a purchase.

The manager called me up to his office and asked why I didn't sell him what he wanted for her. I explained why, and that selling the customer the right thing makes for a longer relationship. He said I cost him a sale. I told him they'd be back.

They came back 2 hours later and bought the one that was truly best for her - that I recommended. I took the store copy of the receipt to him after, with the added cost of the class that they'd be attending - which I was teaching the next weekend. I quit after that class. That manager drove a lot of customers and employees away.

Some sales managers are like that.

As for financing versus outright buying, there are advantages to both. Outright buying is financially best, but there are opportunity costs that can be lost, versus having and using something when the best opportunities exist.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Always funto see newunits and look for flaws. Am I the only one who believes in saving for, not financing, a new RV? Is there a worse investment on the planet? Maybe a boat.

With few exceptions like Airstream and such all moving things depreciate quickly..I dont see RVs as investment but a pleasure to enjoy,it wouldnt be pleasure if I owed money on it

If I have no cash I dont buy anything that I absolutely dont need..

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I went to a show sponsored by La Mesa a few months ago. Tried asking a sales person a few questions about some of the RV's. She kept asking what my time frame for purchasing was. When I said I'm just looking to see whats new and might interest me she said 'Well, you're certainly not in the market to buy today' and proceeded to another person and ignored my questions.

Thats just sad,Ive had similar experience checking new vehicles in gm showroom walking around for long while and not a single salesperson would even say hello,,
On the other hand I had great time when visiting Tokyo where customer service is unbeliavbly good in every store restaurant,even small conveniences.
Heres a friend of mine looking at new house and even tho they say not ready to buy yet the sales people treat them like a boss,something every sales person should be like
,click cc for subtitles

https://youtu.be/YLNboIlcHkI

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
path1 wrote:

Only thing we saw that we thought was good (different model than pic)was one that had a back door that opened right into a bathroom. Would be great for kids, they wouldn't be tracking stuff all inside. During the day was like a "indoor" outhouse. Then at night, just lock outside door and access bathroom from inside(kids) bedroom.

Some mfg. are including a rear emergency escape. Perhaps that was the purpose although it would be very convenient for cleaning up after being outside.

Finally found what I looked at I think. See how there is a door in between 2 slide out on curb side? See how kids could use the toilet inside without tracking stuff thru out RV? This RV would never work for us, but good idea on use of bath IMO

http://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2016/roamer/fifth-wheels/RF384BHS

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

Only thing we saw that we thought was good (different model than pic)was one that had a back door that opened right into a bathroom. Would be great for kids, they wouldn't be tracking stuff all inside. During the day was like a "indoor" outhouse. Then at night, just lock outside door and access bathroom from inside(kids) bedroom.

Some mfg. are including a rear emergency escape. Perhaps that was the purpose although it would be very convenient for cleaning up after being outside.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
How does the slide-out retract over the wheel? There doesn't seem to be a wheel arch.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

And of course lots of things not so good, here is prime example. Anybody see anything wrong?

The photo is slightly underexposed? Open up the aperture an f-stop.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the power cord connection being so high. All of that extra weight hanging off of the electrical connections can't be good over the long haul. I guess they did that to save a couple of feet of internal wiring. Poor design in my mind.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Anybody see anything wrong?

ST tires?

:B
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:

One thing I did notice is a lot of the trailers felt like they didn't have their stabs down when I climbed in them, just flimsy.

Many are now using those wonderful electric stab jacks. Useless!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JiminDenver wrote:
That pipe wouldn't last long where we take our trailer.

I went to a show earlier in the year just to mosey around and saw one trailer I liked, just not enough to trade in a perfectly good rig that's paid off. One thing I did notice is a lot of the trailers felt like they didn't have their stabs down when I climbed in them, just flimsy.

That pipe appears to be a sewer boom. It is a gadget use to support your sewer hose. Check it out below.
My rig came with something similar installed from the factory.

Sewer Boom

More boom photos
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide