cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV show madness

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Went to RV show yesterday. Always interesting to watch people and see latest is on the market. Main focus, like always seems to be price. Lots of pricing was "how much a month" and lots curtained off "closing room" cubicles to get up and personal with your finances. Lots of left over 2015 models marked down to make way for 2016's. Couple RV's were good in my opinion but many I'm not sure they would make it pass the amount of time they would be financed for. One OEM (Grand Designs???) had caulking that looked like Dicor and was tinted to match sort of silver metal fake of siding. I never knew you could tint caulking.

And of course lots of things not so good, here is prime example. Anybody see anything wrong?

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That pipe wouldn't last long where we take our trailer.

I went to a show earlier in the year just to mosey around and saw one trailer I liked, just not enough to trade in a perfectly good rig that's paid off. One thing I did notice is a lot of the trailers felt like they didn't have their stabs down when I climbed in them, just flimsy.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
Always funto see newunits and look for flaws. Am I the only one who believes in saving for, not financing, a new RV? Is there a worse investment on the planet? Maybe a boat.

Let us be honest. with RVs costing more than I financed my house for. Not every one can save up 30K+. and one of the good things. You can use the interest for taxes. I finance mine for 12 years, and pay them off early. That way I'm never under water on them.

And to be truthful. My Dad was a truck drive. I called him one day, and he said he was going "out", and we would get together when he got home. Well he never came home. He died in a rest area in Nebraska. So ever since that day. IF the kids, DW, or I want to do something, and I can make it happen. Even IF I have to borrow to do it. I do. Do I owe money? Yep. Do I pay it back? Yep. Is my credit good? 802 score. So yep. Do I get to do things I want to now? Most of the time. I may be gone tomorrow, and all that won't matter. Then I'll be debt free. And to answer your next question. DW will be too.

To each his own.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

path1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
OP Was that RV a "park model"? I've noticed a few permanently parked RVs have rather strange looking sewage pipes sticking out, always figured it was the work of a shade tree mechanic (plumber?) but maybe the factory builds them as such?

Op here...No was not Park Model. Didn't even look at the name. I saw long tube not only sticking out but close to ground when I walked by it and thought to myself "there's a fine piece of work".

Only thing we saw that we thought was good (different model than pic)was one that had a back door that opened right into a bathroom. Would be great for kids, they wouldn't be tracking stuff all inside. During the day was like a "indoor" outhouse. Then at night, just lock outside door and access bathroom from inside(kids) bedroom.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
OP Was that RV a "park model"? I've noticed a few permanently parked RVs have rather strange looking sewage pipes sticking out, always figured it was the work of a shade tree mechanic (plumber?) but maybe the factory builds them as such?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a show sponsored by La Mesa a few months ago. Tried asking a sales person a few questions about some of the RV's. She kept asking what my time frame for purchasing was. When I said I'm just looking to see whats new and might interest me she said 'Well, you're certainly not in the market to buy today' and proceeded to another person and ignored my questions.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a patch on the front of the slideout.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Investments appreciate. Anything that depreciates is not an investment but an expense.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
power cord is kind of close to the heat exhaust..... sewer pipe quite long!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
An RV or Boat is not an example of a good investment.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Always funto see newunits and look for flaws. Am I the only one who believes in saving for, not financing, a new RV? Is there a worse investment on the planet? Maybe a boat.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Big RV show coming up at Fairplex in Pomona CA next week, Oct 10-19.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

retiredtravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah. Even though I'm sticking with pups, it's interesting, as you say, just to see what the latest in Rv's are. I recall seeing my first RPOD and being very interested in that --- quite an innovation in small, hybrid, trailers.
Also fun to see the expensive Class A's even though I have no interest in them for camping.
No longer RV'ing

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to a few shows and always come away thinking I'll stay with what I have. By the time I've looked a dozens, they all look alike to me. I wish they would have more gadgets and displays for new ideas etc.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Giving you a monthly amount is a good way they hid the actual cost of the sale...some people still fall for it.

Is that a dump pipe? Why is it sticking out so far?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like the black pipe will get broken rather quickly??