cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing without an RV

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a Scouting conference at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico (yeah, a lot of you know that I am still in Scouting as a leader even though my Eagle Scout son aged out a long time ago, yeah it stuck with me).

The accommodations at the ranch are large (12'x12') canvas tents on permanent platforms, cots, mattresses, a wooden box for a closet and an electric outlet. You provide your own bedding, etc. Just a slight step down from RVing as the bathrooms/showers are more of a dorm style - private full facilities like many at RV resorts/campgrounds, which leads me to the topic. And, of course, one eats at the dining hall - summer camp for adults!

I would have taken my FW and truck for the trip, but since there would only be one night stop each way, and with the price of diesel, I decided to take my commuter car (a 2013 Hyundai Elantra) instead.

Using the Good Sam Club Travel planner (on-line), I found two RV campgrounds on the route between Camarillo and Cimarron, NM that had cabins available for use, so I booked those using my Good Sam Club discount. Each was VERY reasonable in price ($35/night) - definitely less than staying in a motel or hotel. One even provided the bedding.

Some pictures of the cabin at the first camp (USA RV Park in Gallup, NM)

I haven't uploaded the second, which was actually a small bunkhouse (I had it all to myself) as the RV park catered to horses (it had stables for the horses to stay overnight) but will do so when I have some time tonight.

So, even if you are on a road trip without an RV, you can still get the RV experience. When I mentioned this to some of the participants at the Scouting event, they had not considered this and stayed at hotels/motels at a higher rate even though they had all that they needed with them.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!
11 REPLIES 11

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
I had thought about bringing the fifth wheel as an overnight enroute and then parking it at Philmont. They have parking, but no hookups and you are expected to stay in one of the tent "cities". The tents and facilities are really good, BTW.

Since it was only one night each way and with the price of diesel, it was more economical to take the car and reserve a cabin at the RV parks.

The point I'm trying to make is that RV parks with cabins are good alternatives to hotels/motels so long as you provide your own bedding (and are typically more kid/Scout friendly). One thing I did not mention is the two RV parks also permitted tent camping immediately adjacent to the cabins. An additional thought for groups, like a Scout trek team.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Hey LLeopold I'm confused a bit about your post. Were you thinking of using the fifth wheel just for the trip, or would you be able to camp in it at Philmont?

I may be going there sometime in the future as I have a few scouts, so I'm a bit curious.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
Before I purchased my first travel trailer I did a lot of back packing and tent camping from my SUV. I would usually camp for 3 to 4 days in the back country then find either an inexpensive motel or preferably a campground with camper cabins. This would give me access to a shower and usually a few other amenities such as pool or hot tub.

On a few occasions when I planned in advance I've used National Forest Cabins, but almost all of these have to be reserved in advance. My favorite is on the Greys River in Wyoming. No electricity but still has all the modern conveniences including a gas refrigerator, hot water heater, stove/oven and even propane light fixtures for $40/night.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of cabins that date to the CCC (1930's) on the East coast in state parks. NYS has a plethora of em; some available year round, others not. Sometimes had the pleasure of using them when I attended college upstate.

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
One of my children moved to the UP of Michigan. Which means when we visit we normally do the height of the LP and the width and height of the UP. (Detroit is actually closer to D.C. than it is to them.) For those unfamiliar with the UP, it has 1/3 the land area of Michigan and 3% of the population. And the upper third of the lower peninsula, south of Mackinac bridge, is not much more populated.

On one of our early trips up, we decided to stay the night in a place that looked like "Sportsmen's Cottages / Cabins" but where we were, that was about the only choice. It looked a lot like the cabin posted, in 1945-1950 vintage. My wife, though we have camped most of our married life, has never let me forget it. I enjoyed the rustic nature, she, not so much. Not that some of the mom and pop motels we've stayed in since were much better, but "Tourist Cabins" are now on the "keep on driving" list.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
he is currently in BCT for the Army and he tells me that so much of what his training is he already knew through the Scouts.

First, thanks to your Son for serving. it's a gift for all of us.

How true the statement about Scouting is, I've relied on some of it throughout my whole life.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That is good info. I never really gave much thought to cabins like that.

It isn't really "RV camping" when you don't have an RV; it's just plain "camping." LOL. Some folks do it in tents, even! But cabins work too.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know about cabins either.

KOA's have cabins also that are real reasonable. They have 2 types. One that has a bathroom and one that is primitive no bath and no bedding. No way you could come close to stay at a motel for that price.

I was parked at a KOA for a week with it in mind that one of those nights my MH would go in for an emergency overnight repair. They showed me their cabins to rent for the night. Pretty slick.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
As a former Assistant Scoutmaster I appreciate your work and dedication. We never made it to Philmont but did go to the Jamboree and many high adventure trips. Two of my three sons are Eagle Scouts. While the third never became an Eagle Scout (he came SO close), he is currently in BCT for the Army and he tells me that so much of what his training is he already knew through the Scouts.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on what Dog Folks said.

We did a "cabin camping" trip post-Thanksgiving one year, from Indiana to Texas & back, using KOA cabins. Had to plan according to which CGs would be still open in late November & early December! It worked out well, but it also convinced us that our decision to trade our popup in for a TT was a good one; all the toting & carrying between truck & cabin reminded us of how we used to do setup and breakdown with the popup. ๐Ÿ™‚ Still, a good option - and I know I feel safer in a lot of CGs than I do in a lot of motels!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for being active in one of the last family orientated organizations in the country.

From the BSA website: "The Boy Scouts of America is one of the nation's largest and most prominent values-based youth development organizations. The BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness."

From an ex-Cub Scout Cubmaster.

Boy Scout detractors need not respond.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006