cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting RVing with a PUP behind a minivan - thoughts?

fithp
Explorer
Explorer
So, in about 2 years, we're doing a family trip (myself, DW, and 3 younger boys, in the 7-12 y.o. range at that point) from West Coast to East Coast and back again - up to 2 months in total (exact route plans haven't been decided, just the end points). We had originally been thinking about doing it as a train trip, but we just realized that it would be way more fun to go camping across the country. My DW and I are both fairly experienced campers (both tent and RVing), but we haven't owned our own RV before, so we're looking for some advice on getting started.

We currently own a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Mainstreet, which has a towing capacity of 3600 lbs, but does not have the tow package, so no hitch or wiring at the moment.

We were thinking we would like to get a small PUP trailer large enough to sleep 2 adults comfortably, and sleep all 5 of us occasionally (the boys'll be tenting it the majority of them time, with exceptions for bad weather and such), as that should be light enough to be towed by the minivan, allowing us to skip purchasing a dedicated TV for the time being. We could spend up to about $10,000 on the entire setup (and looking to buy around next April or so, which would give us a summer to get used to the setup before hauling off across the country with it).

So, in summary, our current (newbie) plan: Purchase a used PUP and add aftermarket tow hitch and wiring hookup to the Grand Caravan, and take it across the country and back.

Is this within the realm of sanity? ๐Ÿ™‚

If so, does anyone have recommendations on the PUP, the aftermarket hitch, the aftermarket wiring modifications, etc.?

If it's not sane, does anyone have recommendations on an alternative solution that will total around $10,000 (maybe $15,000 if it's really compelling), sleep 2 adults comfortably, and can sleep an additional 3 mid-sized boys in a pinch?

Thanks!

-James
24 REPLIES 24

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
In the early '70's, we took our two small children on a 70-day trip in a tiny hardside TT. It was the experience of a lifetime.

I agree with the advice that others have given above. One add-on: It rained at least a little on 63 of those 70 days. Be ready for that.

Have a wonderful trip!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
When my 3 kids were smaller (youngest is now 32) we had a couple of pop-ups in succession and traveled quite a bit. We used it both as recreational weekend camping nearby and our "rolling motel" on the road vacations.

We camped along Lake Michigan, Maine, Florida and Galveston, TX and most states in between.

The only "white knuckle" experience experience we had was going from Ohio to Williamsburg, VA when there was a section of interstate through the WV mountains that was not completed. 3 hours to go 90 miles up and down windy roads with log trucks. Fortunately, it was late afternoon by the time we made it through and I was ready to stop at the first campground we saw.

The major disadvantage of a PUP is having to take down and put up in the rain.

We had a dorm-sized refrigerator that we plugged into shore power when stopped and a space heater for cooler weather (we camped down to high 20s). Never had a/c, with zippers down, it was comfortable enough.

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
You will have a fantastic time with your family in a PUP. When my children were young we too traveled across Canada and the US each summer. We had a Dodge mini van and a very small PUP. The children are now 34 and 31 and remember those trips fondly.

The one word of caution I have for you is to have your local Dodge dealer run your VIN# through their computers to give you the exact towing capacity of your van. They may also be able to tell you what exactly you need to beef up your tow vehicle.

Keep us updated as to your progress, we are a curious bunch here.

Safe travels, whatever you do.

Brenda
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
fithp,

Your idea sounds perfectly ok and reasonable.
If you purchase a PUP from a dealer, the dealer will install the correct hitch and do the wiring for the trailer.
If you purchase the PUP from a private individual, you can take your vehicle to a good hitch installer company and have them install the hitch and wiring so it's done right and you don't have to hassle with it.

We owned a Chevy Mini-Van that towed our PUP for 6 years. Actually, I had the hitch and wiring installed some time before we even considered a PUP because I needed to tow a utility trailer when I gave up Pick-up trucks for a while. I thought it would be impossible to find a hitch that would fit the vehicle, but they matched one perfect. Turned out to be a flat hitch which mounted to the frame perfect. It would never tow a regular trailer but worked great for the utility trailer and later the PUP.

In Indiana, if the trailer is under 3000 pounds (fully loaded), you do not need to have brakes on the trailer. Check your state laws about brakes on your trailer. It does vary between states.
We did not go on long term trips, like ... months at a time ... but we did travel from Indiana to Maine, to Florida, to Alabama, to Kansas, to Wisconsin and Michigan and pretty much every where else in-between over those 6 years.

I think your idea is sound, and I think you'll have a lot of fun.
Here's a few photos from days gone-by. Sometimes I do miss the PUP, but never missed my first or second travel trailer.

This is Maggie. She (was) a concrete 100 pound goose. She traveled with us all the time and became a photo-hog. She was into travel long before the Travelocity Gnome became famous! Those were the days when I was a lot younger and a lot stronger than I am now, and moving Maggie around was no problem. Maggie got stolen from our house. We nave have Maggie 2, but she doesn't travel with us. We're living in a completely different house now and Maggie 2 has successfully guarded our front door for 7 years now!

I know, I'm kind of "off topic" now, but just wanted to make a couple points by sharing the photos:

1. Your plan is very do-able.
2. You will have a fantastic time (in your own way) when you make your trip exclusive your own.
3. And ... it's OK to break the "norm" and have fun doing your own "thing".

Maybe it's because of the crazy freedom we had with the PUP that made it so special!

Good luck in your search and decisions!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for the pop ups, especially for those starting out. It gives you a sense of true camping and having some comforts. It allows you to do it without breaking the bank as well. If you are lookign at new pop ups, don't look at the larger ones. Some of them are pretty heavy nowadays (accoridng to pop up standards). Spend the least amount on one (but get a decent one) you can and save the rest of the money for the trip. I would recommend looking around for a very well taken care of used one. If you decide you don't like it and want to sell it, it will have a good resell value. Depending on location, they can be difficult to find.

The good thing about a pop up on a trip like yours is the ease of towing and it's simplicity. Less time having to spend on something that stops working. I imagine you probably plan on using bath houses. Make sure you do get one with A/C.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TerriStar
Explorer
Explorer
I used to pull our pop-up with a Windstar. Never had a single problem. Tow hitch and wiring was after market and loved it.
On your trip, do you plan on spending a couple nights in each location. Setting up for a single night's stay only to tear down in the morning will get old real quick. My suggestion is make sure you plan to stay a couple nights at each stop to make it easier on everyone.
We currently have a hybrid trailer and took a month long trip across the country two years ago with out 3 kids (12, 13 and 15 at the time). Highly recommend the trip! Your kids will LOVE it!

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
This is a very personal decision. What works for you may not work for someone else.

When we first started RVing we went to Alaska, from Vermont, for 3 months in a small TT. Friends said we would come back wanting to get divorced and never RV again. We had a great time and in a few years switched to a larger TT then to our present class C.

If you think it will work for you, go for it.

Edit: Depending on the type of campgrounds you use there may be a concern about bears. :h
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your weights are in line go for it and have fun and make memories.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
afraid of bears wrote:
Have you thought about something like this?

Jayco Trailer

Good luck with your search and have a wonderful trip!

This would eliminate the need for all the tents and make set up and tear down of camp so much easier

much nicer of course but 3,000 over budget
bumpy

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about something like this?

Jayco Trailer

Good luck with your search and have a wonderful trip!

This would eliminate the need for all the tents and make set up and tear down of camp so much easier