cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Talking in person to RV snowbirds...where do I find any

readytogo94
Explorer
Explorer
I am anxuous to talk to somebody in person or phone about RVing, options, etc. but I cant find any clubs or groups to join to get in touch with real people. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you check out Escapees RV Club Chapter 49 - Wisconsin Badgers website
https://escapees.com/fun/chapters?id=316 They have an upcoming rally rally next month. Consider attending it. You will be welcomed and many folks will be happy to answer all your questions about RVing.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I know two couples whose home is in Wisconsin.

Both of them either volunteer in Texas, Alabama or Florida during the winter, or they stay in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for the winter.

They are both member of Good Sam in Wisconsin. One couple travels to several state Good Sam Rallies - inviting folks to visit the Wisconsin Rally in mid-June each year at Chippewa Falls (we haven't made it yet - maybe 2018).

We are also members of Escapee's and their forum and their rallies/ chapter meetings are great sources of information.

Look for camping clubs in your area to see if any have snowbirders. Also - when you are in a campground - and see a rig license plate for some far away place - introduce yourself - ask about their travels. You might find snowbirders more often than you would expect.

Now in general there are three snowbird destinations - (1) South Arizona/Southern California - (2) Southern Texas (south of San Antonio - but a big concentration near the Mexico border - Brownsville to McAllen) - (3) Florida.

There are a couple basic types of Snowbirders.

Some folks actually own a spot in an RV park/ resort and return every year. I would not recommend looking to buy if you are new to snowbirding. Travel a few years and experience the different areas - and specific parks. Some of our friends recently bought in the RGV of Texas - after six straight winters of spending three or four months in that area. They made the decision to buy two years ago - they took their time to find the right place.

There are many more who don't buy - but go to the same favorite campground year after year.

Other folks might go to the same area, same campground for a couple years, then go to another area and new campgrounds for a change of scenery.

There are also folks who choose 'fringe' areas like southern New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia or the Florida panhandle. Those areas can expect to see at least one spell of below freezing weather each winter, maybe three or four. Nothing compared to Wisconsin - but too cold for many. Those areas might have the cheapest rates.

Volunteering - the first place to start is the website run by the federal government - Volunteer . Gov - search by state, type of accommodation, agency, etc. Also check the various state parks systems for possible volunteer opportunities. Did you know the US Fish and Wildlife Refuge system uses hundreds of RV volunteers each year.

Be aware that many folks also take paid positions - either as gate attendants at COE parks (which are usually a competitive bid process) or working for private campgrounds. Those can be harder to find - and if the state where you work has a state income tax - you will have to file, and maybe pay.

In general - Florida south of Orlando has the best/ warmest weather during the winter/ snowbird season. It also costs more. Especially if you want to be close to the ocean.

Arizona has the next best weather.

Texas has good weather - but does have cool rainy spells.

Also, many folks get their yearly dental work done in Mexico - so they want to winter near the border. Some folks who don't have good prescription plans winter near the border for access to lower cost medicines in Mexico.

That just touches a long discussion - be sure to look at the Snowbirder's section of these forums. You will find plenty of good (and bad) advice.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

readytogo94
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, he might. And I would love to volunteer and host.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought...To offset costs, might your mechanic husband want to do a bit of work mechanical work for others? Of course, he'd have to research the business rules wherever you snowbird, but if he can work it out, he might find plenty of people who can't or don't wish to do simple stuff themselves like fluid changes. And plenty of other rv problems crop up. He might enjoy addressing those more than work camping.

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
I've sent you a private message.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
On this forum is a Boondocking section. Ask your specific questions there. Arizona has a lot of boondocking options - BLM land and national forest land. You need a generator or solar panels and you'll need to move to dump your tanks when full. In winter you'll need heat and if you use your furnace you'll wear down your batteries to run it. Many boondockers use a catalytic heater run on propane.

If you want to try this for a short term or long term, head to Quartzsite, AZ where you'll see thousands parked out in the desert. January is an excellent time to be there because there will be many vendors, swap meets and lots of activity.

Low cost RV parks can be found in any any snowbird state especially in southern Texas and Yuma, Arizona.

The purpose of these forums is to ask questions. You really don't need a 'group' to talk to. We all started from scratch and didn't know a thing. You're not alone. Ask away!

Here's a YouTube on Quartzsite and there are many other YouTubes - search them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqDiw9Wf9iI
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
GO camping.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Family Motor Coach Association and choose Chapters, you can see a list of the FMCA chapters in Wisconsin.

Similarly, Good Sam Club chapters will give you a drop-down box to view their chapters in WI.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Forum Heading:
Rally's, Shows, and Gatherings.
https://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/13245680

They announce and list their rally's etc. on that forum.
You can make it a nice destination CG trip, ask about joining clubs, AND talk to all the RV people you want! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
readytogo94 wrote:
I didnt mean talk to anyone here. I am in Wisconsin. I wondered if there are clubs where people get together. I would not ask to talk to a stranger.

:H
As you can see, the questions are endless. Thats why I was hoping to find a gtoup. It doesnt matter if they are full or part time.

If you are talking internet groups THIS is one. Look at the box named "Jump To Forum" in the upper right corner drop down. there you will find all the 'different' types of RV'ing etc.

If you are looking for a group to meet in real time there are a plethora of RV groups/clubs you can join and meet with them at what we call rally's. Which are held all over the US at a specified CG.
I supplied you with the link to largest RV club in a previous post of mine. And Good Sam has regional and local RV clubs too.

Go to these links and JOIN one!

Heck there is even a specific forum right HERE for Rally's for you to look for one and/or ask questions about joining a group.
xxxx

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi readytogo94 -

check out this site for tips:

Link to frugal-rv-travel

readytogo94
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt mean talk to anyone here. I am in Wisconsin. I wondered if there are clubs where people get together. I would not ask to talk to a stranger.

We have never tried boondocking, but it sounds like fun (and less costly). I am curious about that and even the cheapest RV park...so many questions that you cant ask them all on a forum.

We rent now so our RV will be our home. We will live on mostly social security so we need all the frugality tips we can get. My husband and is a mechanic and beyond that there is little he can't fix so we are going to start looking for an old rig that runs and fix it up. He does this with cars. In the Air Force, he was an airplane mechanic. He was in the AF for ten years then quit but was honorably discharged.

As you can see, the questions are endless. Thats why I was hoping to find a gtoup. It doesnt matter if they are full or part time. We will be living in our rig full time. We will come back to Wisconsin in the summer to be near our kids, but we will still have to find a spot for our rig. At least, that us the plan a year in advance. plans can change, Im sure.
We are more interested into outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, enjoying birds and wildlife, maybe some target shooting, and I am very friendly and would enjoy finding people to chat with as well.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we're snowbirds, 6 years full-timeing, we've never paid for a winter campsite down South. 4 years in Florida and 2 in Texas, volunteering. Sure everyone wants warm winter, but warm to one is hot or cold to another.
Of the 6 winters we stayed down south one was not nice but compared to Northern Illinois it was a winner.

You will want to check out www.volunteer.gov you don't want to wait till you expect to go. We're always 9 months to a year out in applying for volunteering positions and they are usually posted shortly after the season ends.
All of the federal agencies post openings but not all openings are posted.

For state parks go to there home page and look for "volunteer" or "get involved ".
Sometimes these are difficult to find but a search box or site index will also lead you to their volunteer page.
In Florida almost everyone wants to be in the warm southern part of the state so you want to look at the North half of the state. Our first winter was at Gold Head Branch state park between Gainesville and Jacksonville as camphosts. We did have several nights in the upper 20s in January but never needed more than a light jacket during the day.

Hope this helps with your planning. We don't mind in fact we enjoy volunteering and it stretchs the retirement income and keeps us active.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Start here:
Escapees.com

Very well known and respected RV club. Been around for eons. Join up and they have regional and local clubs complete with members phone numbers etc. They have CG rallies all over where you can meet and talk to RV'ers with similar interests as yours. And also is nice to have a destination trip every now and then to an RV club outing that you are a member with. :C

and contrary to belief they are NOT just a full-time RV club they welcome everyone!! :W