cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool kit?

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. While I have my nice set of tools at home, I am curious about getting a dedicated "tool kit" for the TT.

I didn't find any RV/TT specific tool kits and assume the required tools are all typical/common tools.

Is there anything I am missing? Anyone have a recommendation for a decent tool kit?

I was considering: Amazon Basics

I will be bringing one of my extra drills...

Not looking to spend a lot (so I know the quality will not be stellular...).

Thank you.
37 REPLIES 37

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
CFerguson wrote:
4x4van wrote:
The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using...

I get what you are saying, but for many of us thats not the way to approach it. We are competent with too many tools.
A better statement might be Tools that you are competent with that are also the most likely to be needed in a RV.
At that point, we return to the question of What are the tools most likely to be needed.
Good point. I am quite capable, but only carry a small basic kit when I am going with JUST the RV, along with some spare parts (both for chassis and house), as I've very rarely had any major issues on the RV itself in the past 32 years (knock on fake wood!). I do, however, carry a full toolbox when I am taking the toys (ATVs, motorcycles, PWCs), as I am much more likely to need to make repairs on those. Keep in mind that I am only a long weekend warrior, so my practices would not apply to fulltiming; at that point I would take my full toolbox.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
4x4van wrote:
The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using...

I get what you are saying, but for many of us thats not the way to approach it. We are competent with too many tools.
A better statement might be Tools that you are competent with that are also the most likely to be needed in a RV.
At that point, we return to the question of What are the tools most likely to be needed.

So, no to the table saw, planer and jointer???

🙂

years back at Lake whitey resorts, a fella pulled in beside me and he did have a small table saw in a compartment. 🙂
BUMPY

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
4x4van wrote:

So, no to the table saw, planer and jointer???

🙂
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to do something like theoldwizard1 has. I was gifted a tool set which is OK, but it is in a crappy clamshell plastic box secured by tabs which are falling off, and the tools don't fit snugly in their spots - so when you open it, everything falls out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using.

BTW, I have owned 3 RVs, and have yet to come across a single Robertsons square bit bolt/screw. Just saying...
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
If you use an impact driver, please don't let it rattle along at 0630. Your neighbors will appreciate it.

No chance of that with me, but I do have a quality ratcheting 3/4 wrench in case my battery dies in the impact, and the one time we got in after hours I used that on the leveler instead of the impact, the stabs are easy enough to do with the included long wrench, just takes a minute or two longer.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a bit of everything also. 12 v stuff, 110 stuff, plumbing stuff. Tbh, i think other people use it more then me in the campgrounds. But at least I know its there if needed. Guy this year borrowed my compresser and tire plug kit. Lol. I have the room and the extra tools, so why not bring them. Most of the sruff is in my tool box on the truck and stays there year round. If no one mentioned it allready a few shark bites are also good incase you need to cap off a water line.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one thing I carry in my soft tool bag that's kind of unique to RVs: A section of Eternabond tape. If/when you need it - you need it NOW. Amazon sells 10' lengths of it.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

isa
Explorer
Explorer
This is for "Durb".

Right in the middle of the table I see three (3) adjustable wrenches.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started out as a full timer with a substantial selection of hand tools and a bunch of misc hardware. I have hardly used any of it except for the usual pliers, adjustable wrench and screwdriver. That Amazon kit should be plenty.

Instead of tools, consider some supplies: rope/cord, bungies, an assortment of screws, nuts, bolts, etc, also electrical tape and duct tape, epoxy, wood glue, a roll of light weight wire, some electrical wire, command strips, etc. I bought a small canvas tool case at Lowe's and put in baggies with misc supplies of everything I could think of.

I guess they fall into a different category but bring some misc office supplies: scotch tape, envelops, stamps, lots of rubber bands.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used my 18V craftsman drill/ driver when we had the TT. An impact type driver is not the right tool for the job and is noisy/loud. Especially late at night setting up or leaving in the morning. I've seen heard them in action at a campground, I just shake my head!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
GMH wrote:
which is better for setting stabilizer jacks, a cordless drill or cordless impact driver? I think the drill would be more useful all around.
I prefer the convenience of leaving those tools at home. Hand crank works very well for me.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 3 drawer craftsman box in the basement storage. With all the tools I could need. And now that I have an air compressor, both 12V and 110, each with a 2 1/2 gal tank that are tied together. I now carry air tools with me also!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!