cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer weight vs vehicle hauling

jkrhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ford Flex with the towing packing that allows us to tow up to 4500lbs. We are interested in purchasing Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 which says the UVW is 3890 and the GVWR says TBD. We are concerned with the weight and do want to over due it. We do not know much about hauling travel trailers and we also do not know how to determine how much we can tow. There are so many specifications such as GVWR and dry weight, etc. Can someone enlighten me please? We are interested in a travel trailer (no canvas) that has bunks and a queen size bed. Like I stated earlier, we really like the model mentioned above. We will be travel within our state (no mountains) and will mostly be doing long weekend trips. There will be 4 people and a dog in our vehicle. We want the most bang for our buck. Thanks for taking the time read this. I would appreciate any feedback.:)
36 REPLIES 36

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bluntly!

You are not going to fine a trailer with bunks and a queen bed that is suitable for that tow vehicle.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jkrhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the input. Any recommendations for a family of four with the bunkhouse and queen bed? Having trouble finding something that would be appropriate for our vehicle.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Actual dry weight will be closer to 4400# or more. Too much trailer, not enough TV. And with 4 adults, dog, and gear you'll probably be over the GVW on the Flex.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that weight is the minimum. Any options, even the refrigerator are not included, nor are water, fuel, or any of your gear. You'll be well over 5000 pounds if not 6000 when loaded and ready to go. You need to figure out your payload and compare that to the tongue weight and the weight of your cargo in the vehicle, all but the driver. You will find that it is your payload that is the limit, not your towing capacity. Probably need to look at trailer in the 2500lb range.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Oh, yeah, one other small detail here: never believe the TT salesman, who will assure you that your TV is capable of pulling anything, no matter how ridiculous. They all lie.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I say too much. I would be the tongue weight is over the recommended tongue weight for the flex, which is 516lbs dry. That is probably 650lbs ready to camp. Also, the UVW is probably not what it comes out ready to camp, but looking online, it is fairly close. Fully loaded, I bet you are closer to 4800lbs ready to camp. Plus, all the people and the tongue weight, you will probably be overloading the GVW of the Flex. Also being Front Wheel Drive, You would need a read good WDH to keep the front wheels on the ground. Even me, being a little daring, probably wouldn't do it.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Too much trailer for the TV, I'm afraid. If the TT weighs 3890 (which is likely before they added any "extras,") and you add the 800-1000 lbs of water, clothes, food, etc, you will be above your maximum weight rating. Into the bargain, most folks here seem to be of the opinion that one ought not push that limit, as it makes for an unpleasant tow if you do find yourself in a head-wind or going over any significant hills.

The Flex with a 4500 lb gross trailer weight is much better suited to a smaller trailer.