cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper or 5th wheel

WrinkledPenny
Explorer II
Explorer II

Last kid graduates HS in 15 months and we’re planning on joining the road travel world. Have only tent camped up to this point and not sure where to start in the RV world. I’m really hoping to be able to tow a boat, but don’t know if that’s realistic? Seems like a truck camper would be a better option than a motorcoach for towing/launching. Fairly certain a diesel 350 will be needed, but don’t know if a dually is mandatory unless the camper is on the heavier side. Ultimate dream is to cruise the West Coast from BC to B.C. With a boat I can fish the saltwater with (24 - 28ft). Is that a pipe dream? Would it be more realistic to forget about the boat and get a 5th wheel rig to have more space? We also have 2 small dogs who will be with us, so any advice/opinion on pets in truck campers versus 5th wheels would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

I am going to add to my answer, a motorhome would be a good option also, but you have to look at which ones have the towing capacity for the boat you want to tow.  that is where the truck camper could be the downfall with a big boat.  there are other options for a truck camper, like getting a f550 that has a truck box for a big camper, then you will still have the capacity for towing.  you have to figure the boat out first and it will let you know weather you can do the truck camper or the motorhome.  a 5th absolutly won't work as double towing isn't allowed in BC.  the only canadian provence I know that allows it is alberta.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

If you are looking at towing a big boat, truck campers get complicated.

A big truck camper with a long overhang and a 28ft cabin cruiser, is problematic. The camper will eat up all the payload of the truck. Then you need an extension on the hitch to get past the truck camper overhang which lowers the hitch ratings. Even with a maxed out dually 1 ton, you have a good chance of being over the ratings.

- If you go with a small truck camper, there is less overhang and more payload available for the trailer. But for long trips, living space will be tight in the camper.

- If you go with a smaller boat (say a 18-20ft aluminum), you can get a big truck camper and with some careful planning you should be able to keep it within the trucks capabilities. Still a small space for longer trips but better. 

- A medium size 5er (25-32ft) would be night and day better for everyday living but you are going to be limited to a smaller boat. You will also have to keep an eye on where you are traveling. Some states and Canadian provinces do not allow double towing.

If the big boat is a deal breaker, I would go with a medium/small size Class C motorhome. Check the tow ratings carefully and try to find one with a smaller overhang. Not all will work. You will want one with a more powerful engine.

Out of the box option: Trailerable houseboat....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgOOHjbG9qM

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sounds like a truck camper best suits you.  I have several friends that have a fiver and pull their boat behind it.  They travel the Rocky Mountain States.  They do manage ok but it can be a pain.  Is renting a boat at your destinations an option?

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

truck campers are a great option, but do yourself a favor.  if you have to buy a truck anyways, buy a dual rear wheel f350 and be done with it.  this will open the door to so many more layouts of truck campers and give you the extra capacity you need to tow the boat as well.  I have both a 5th wheel and a truck camper, and we use the 5th wheel 1 or 2 times a year and the camper is used the rest of the time..  and we probably would have sold the 5th wheel by now if it wasnt part of the retirment plan for going to the US in the winters.  still might...  as for the dogs, what are you defining as small?  if you look for a camper with at least 1 slide that will open up a lot of floor space.  we camp with a 90lb yellow lab and no slide and it is chalanging some times 😁..  we are looking at a new camper that has a slide and that alone opens up a lot more floor space so you don't have to step over the big doogs.. small dogs will be easier..

what I like about the truck camper is when you are not doing your big hollidays you can do weekend trips to places 5th wheels cant get to, some of the best lakes I have been to a motorhome, 5th, trailer, or 2WD car wouldnt make it into.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100