cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT or 5W

ScottMMO
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning for our RV experience starting next year; our goal is to be about 80% full time, with a couple months around holidays being spent at home. We keep going back and forth on what kind of RV we should get, and we've narrowed it down to a TT or 5th, but we can't settle on one.

We have read that TT's get tossed about the highway by high winds or by getting passed by a Tractor Trailer; right this minute, that is my DW's big concern, does the lighter weight of the TT become a big issue? Our plan is to be in warm climes all year round, so south for the winter and north only in summer, to avoid cold weather issues, and we can always get wind conditions from weather forecasts and so forth, but you can't do anything about the big trucks so, can anyone here speak to the issue of TT's and wind?

Thank you for your replies.
25 REPLIES 25

pf32450
Explorer
Explorer
We were tossed like you as to TT or 5ver. What we asked our salesman was what has he heard and for some of those that bought a 5ver the major complaint was the stairs not just getting into the camper but also going up the stairs to bedroom and bathroom. As we are getting older we decided on TT for that very reason and are very pleased. Also as stated above have truck that can handle the load and a good hitch system. Wish you luck as the choices are numerous.
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Always enjoyed our 5er's better because of the ease of towing, much less susceptible to sway, taller ceiling, 16" LT tires, etc....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents: we love TT's; its a preference. Have had 5thw as well, but prefer the TT. On top of that, we put a topper (truck cap) on the bed of the truck to lock up/hide generator (on occasion), bikes, grill, stuff. TT's can have limited space for this stuff vs. 5er, out TT has ample storage.

Some like the higher ceilings in 5ers as well.

It's all a trade off.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you bring a lot of stuff?
I could not have a 5th because we bring so much in the bed of our pick up.
I have a cap on it, and we carry two kayaks and a canoe on the roof.
We carry two mountain bikes plus all kinds of back packing camping gear in the bed -Need I say more.

Our trailer is a 25 footer, and we have never had a wind problem or wind current problem from the big rigs in thousands of highway miles.
Prior to this one we had a 19 foot trailer, and never had problems from high winds, but I did have to hold the wheel tight for a few seconds when a big rig came by at 80MPh.
I bought a new Dodge Ram last year, and the whole system is rock solid.

Jack L

Just my two cents!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottMMO
Explorer
Explorer
I should also note, we have not bought the TW yet; planning on both purchases at the same time, with the weight issue factored in.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 5th ws and TT for over 50 + years and well over 100,000 miles. I still have a 40 ft 5th w that I now use as a Rental. The TT properly equipped will tow as well as a 5th w.I have owned at least 5 5th ws and a lot of TTs. I much prefer the TT over the 5th w mainly because I use the P/Up bed to haul bikes, generators, and lots of other stuff. IN mho the TT is as safe as a 5th w
samsontdog:o:W

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use a hitch like the Hensley Arrowor similar, big winds and push from passing trucks will be non issue.
It makes a travel trailer tow just as well or better than a 5th wheel.

For me, as much as I hate to admit it, spending as much time in a rig as you plan on doing would require a rig with a lot of room and plenty of storage. The only way you will get that in abundance is with a 5th wheel trailer. We live in ours for 3 months straight every winter and also many times during the summer but sure could use more storage space! We also do not have room for a washer/dryer which many of our friends have in their rigs. If I were going to replace our present 30ft TT I think it would probably be with a 5th wheel.

There are many considerations to think about when deciding what to get, but you can rest assured that being blown around by the wind, uneven pavement, or passing trucks should not be one of them.
Hope this helps.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Ron3rd. We towed four different sized TTs and no sway or passing semi problems other than with the last one that was 32' in length. We invested in a different hitch setup and that was taken care of. Properly setup, a TT is just as stable as a fifth wheel. As you can see, we now have a fiver, but did so for the room.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, and welcome to the forums. You're going to get a bunch of differing opinions on your questions. Best advise is to go shop around at dealerships until you have the "Ah-Ha!" moment!

I've never had issues towing a travel trailer. I have not towed a 5er, but with proper tow vehicle and proper hitching, a trailer will tow very nice. My current arrangement is so stable, I have to keep looking in the mirrors to remind myself the trailer is there. The integrated brake controller built in the truck is what makes towing such a pleasure.

Far too many buy a trailer that is simply too much for their tow vehicle. And with "bumper tows" they cheap out on hitch systems. The secret to success with a bumper tow trailer is 1) tow vehicle rated for the job and 2) a hitch system that isn't junk! If you put $25,000 into a Travel Trailer, take the plunge and spend an extra grand on a good hitching system.

Same is true with 5ers. If the truck is underpowered or not sufficient, you'll have a horrible experience there too. And get a good 5er hitch. Spend the money and don't cheap out!

TT and 5er's each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Each is designed for slightly different functionality. And pretty much, TT owners say theirs is the best, and 5er owners say theirs is the best. At the bottom line, it's just a matter of what works for YOU.

Good luck ... you're going to get lots of suggestions and things you've never considered here. Take them all in good stride. Everyone is truly trying to give you the best advise based on their personal experiences. And those experiences re the BEST teachers!

Welcome!

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot depends on the type of tow vehicle you have. If you've got the truck to handle a 5er, they're hard to beat. We've towed a TT for 10 years with our Tundra and we love it. Properly set up, they both work fine, but the 5er has some inherent advantages. Comes down to budget and personal preference.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"