cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh....Swaying?

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
So my TV is a 2013 Nissan Frontier, my TT is a 2015 Jayco 264BHW JAY FLIGHT SLX which is 29ft. My TV is good on the tow weight but can a TT be too long for a vehicle? I know the rule of thumb on wheelbase, but everyone I talk to that pulls trailers say that the length doesn't matter. I pulled it home yesterday and it had me shaking by the time I got home and a little while afterwards as well. The dealer said it is more likely my tires not being the right ply. I have the WD hitch and sway bar installed, but still way too nervous. Any suggestions?
34 REPLIES 34

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Good move! You'll be much happier with a properly dialed in setup. Your time, money, and effort investment will pay off in spades.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good for you on being there when they set it up ad for them going for a ride with you! That is way more than what most dealers will do!

The Titan will be very good!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a titan with a 26 foot trailer. I helped him dial in his hitch. He loves it. Lots of power solid feel. You will be MUCH happier with that.

Paul

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Titan.

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
What sort of half ton did you get?
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Just make sure you get your hitch setup properly. Otherwise all you'll have is a 1/2 ton bandaid! I see it here quite often. People by a trailer and they complain about how it tows without setting up the hitch properly, then go out and buy a 3/4, 1 ton truck and it magically tows better! Because they now put a 3/4 ton band aid on a bad hitch setup!

Doing all that today. 🙂 Going to a place that does it all the time, and they are test riding with me on it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just make sure you get your hitch setup properly. Otherwise all you'll have is a 1/2 ton bandaid! I see it here quite often. People by a trailer and they complain about how it tows without setting up the hitch properly, then go out and buy a 3/4, 1 ton truck and it magically tows better! Because they now put a 3/4 ton band aid on a bad hitch setup!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a half ton truck, hopefully that will solve my issues. Thanks again for all the responses. Glad to see that everyone is willing to help!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Too much guessing. It could to too much for your truck. It could be an improperly balanced trailer. It could be an improperly adjusted WDH. Spend $15 at a CAT scale and you'll likely know your problem. Take 3 passes:

Truck alone
Truck with TT without WD
Truck with TT with WD
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

109rfan
Explorer
Explorer
I towed basically same trailer with Nissan Titan and it still was not enough. Your grossly over the capability of a frontier. I'm not trying to brand bash and Nissan dealer tried to sell me a frontier I told him no way. I ended up traded up to a Toyota tundra with 5.7 and 4.3 gear. Towing was much more comfortable after the upgrade. Of course I upgraded trailer and now just bought a ram 2500.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the dealer is on the right track, as are many posters.

I run 10 ply LT tires on my v8 4Runner, though 6 ply is probably enough, but NOT th P tires that came with it.

Your wdh has ball angle and ball height, as well as tension arms settings.

Make sure you have MATCHING PLY tires on front and rear. Don't tow with 6 ply fronts and 10 ply rears on modern SUVs. That was fine for trucks years ago, but the common cross linked suspension in many will feel like you're balancing on a rubber ball. Ask me how I know 😉

I can tow at about any speed and it is rock steady.

It's very much worth the effort to get it all set up properly. Camping should be fun and relaxing, not a cardio stress test getting there 🙂

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like seriously front end light. The dealer may not be a WD expert after all!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
This is the unit here...

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2015-jay-flight/26bh/

But thats just brosure #'s.

Here is an actual tag from one...

http://www.bourbonrv.com/2015-jayco-jay-flight-swift-slx-264bhw-new-travel-trailer-mo-i1234070

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
That's the 26BH....according to the dealer website it is what I posted. It is the exact same layout though.