Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vent fans

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and that all in advance!

I have 3 vent fans in my travel trailer and none seem to work. They might even function but I don't know how to star them. I attempted while hooked up with electricity but was unsuccessful.I Would like to have the fans working for ventilation, especially when cooking. The fans have knobs with and a fuse. One of the knobs gives the option of "in" or "out." I tested the fuses and all work. My question would be, should I just replace the fans? What other options or trouble shooting should I perform? Thanks again!
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If they're Fantastic fans, call them and they are very good at helping. They'll walk you through it so call when you're by the fans. Have the Model # ready. It is strange that all 3 don't work.

Also, if the lids ever stick, clean the lid edges and the outside rubber gasket and then wipe the outside rubber with 303 Protectant which helps greatly. When not used often the rubber gets hard, is coated with dirt and it sticks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
If they are Fantastic Fan brand vents there is probably a spring-loaded pin switch that stops the motor when the lid is closed. I have found that those switches often stick in the down (off) position if not used regularly. They are best checked from above (on the roof) with the vent lid opened fully. If they are stuck they can usually be pulled up and freed with some lubricant. They are there to prevent the fan from running when the lid is down and there is no chance for air flow.

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
Or, the flux capacitor may have its polarity reversed.

OK-seriously, my one fan operates with a switch on the wall. HOWEVER, my son somehow found the other switch that is on the fan itself and turned it off once. Took me forever to figure that one out...so sometimes there are two switches...
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
OR, may have to check if the lid/vent cover is "stuck". Mine will do that occasionally, and I have to manually open it, then the switch will work.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There will also be a fuse (or fuses) on the 12v distribution board. Are those fuses good?

This is just another way to ask if you are getting 12v power TO the fans.

Since all 3 fans fail to function, I would look to a common feed. The fuse on the 12v distribution board fits that description.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The fuses may work (how did you test?) but is there power to the fan leads? Do all of the suggested tests eg. lift the lid, etc. and keeping checking for power to the fan.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our bathroom fan, besides the knob on the fan, also operates from the wall switch. Probably for the vertically challenged crowd.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If your vent fan has a lid, lift the lid.

Some fans won't work unless lid is up.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The "in/out" reverses the fan.
Do you know make and model of fans?
Make and model of rig?
Is there remote controls for fans?
Have you checked for power?
Is there a wall control?
No, don't just start replacing items.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried to turn the knobs? I ask the obvious, as in our old Greyhawk, the bedroom fan was completely automatic with a wall thermostat. The bath fan, however, had to be opened by turning the knob and then it could be turned on with a switch.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3