cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy ?

GetMeOuttaHere
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be buying a truck and trailer next year but would like to know if any of you have an opinion as to where is the best place to look for good quality and lowest cost. All things considered, like price of said truck and trailer, tax, insurance etc. I live in Louisiana and know that I would NOT buy here as insurance is ridiculously high and I have noticed that people here don't believe maintenance is important nor is the qualifications of anyone doing any repairs on their vehicles! They seem to think that if it runs, don't fix it! I need reliability as I will be living long term in the RV and will need the truck to haul it long distance. Also, is it better to buy used from a dealership, or privately from want ads etc. ? Any thoughts and previous experience you can share will be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
6 REPLIES 6

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
If reliability for the truck is high on your list... always, ALWAYS take the truck to a 3rd party reputable mechanic and pay to have it thoroughly inspected. Yes, it will cost you money but could ultimately save you thousands. If private owner or dealer won't let you take it for an inspection, run away.
I love me some land yachting

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, buying used from a private owner carries the same risk as buying used from a dealer. Often the private owner has an emotional attachment to the rig, and they want to include that in the price, where the dealer just wants to get what he paid for it, and get it off of his lot. You may also get the dealer to include a limited warranty, where private sales are always "as is".
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
GetMeOuttaHere wrote:
I am going to be buying a truck and trailer next year but would like to know if any of you have an opinion as to where is the best place to look for good quality and lowest cost. All things considered, like price of said truck and trailer, tax, insurance etc. I live in Louisiana and know that I would NOT buy here as insurance is ridiculously high ...

Where will your address be when you buy? That will depend on your tax and insurance and also registration and license. Are you leaving your state permanently? You weren't very clear in your intent.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
GetMeOuttaHere wrote:
I live in Louisiana and know that I would NOT buy here as insurance is ridiculously high

That statement makes no sense. You will have to insure for where you live not where you buy

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you hate where you're at go somewhere else and buy there. That degree of over generalizing of all the citizens and businesses in Louisiana prevents me from making any recommendation.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Pick the trailer you want first. Hard to suggest as it depends on what you want to do with it. I like Northwood as they build a off-road RV. I take our Arctic fox 4 wheeling, very remote. Lat TT we had for 13 years, 3 on our new one, Only bought new because we wanted a middle kitchen. Northwood also has when we think is the best insulated for a TT.

Once you know what RV you want buy the tow vehicle that will tow it.

Happy searching, it is a fun time.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars