cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who parks their RV at home or do you pay for storage?

Kruss42
Explorer
Explorer
With the HOA's I can not park an RV at my home. I have to pay for storage. There are not alot of covered storage in my area. What should I pay for parking it in outdoor storage and is it worth driving a longer distance to park in a covered storage area? The dealers all say I need to protect my investment and keep it out of the elements. I would like to have a real owner opinion on this as I do not want to get ripped off buying covers or having to pay to park miles away in a covered RV storage.
109 REPLIES 109

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we have a half acre lot so its home we alsao live in a village with the population of 700
scott

Z1derful
Explorer
Explorer
Like someone else posted, other people abused the rules in our town causing there to be a ordinance against parking at home. This actually works out because I have teenagers in my neighborhood who like to go through our vehicles in the wee small hours. Did I mention the vehicles were in the garage?

I'd hate to think of what they'd do if we had our TT parked there. Locked up, they'd vandalize it. Unlocked and I'm sure they'd trash it.

So our TT stays in a "secure" (fenced with razor wire, locking gate, and security cameras) lot about 8 miles from home, uncovered at >$50/month. Covered storage is available at a significant price increase.
2014 Crossroads ZT251BH
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is right next to our house. Otis ran electric and cable. It doubles as his man-cave when we're not camping. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP, do you have room on your property to build and RV garage?

I would never pay for a piece of property where my neighbours controlled what I could do on it, especially the simplest things that don't hurt anyone.
2 acres gives me plenty of storage a room even back yard camping room with a forest and creek and very quiet rural area. I have to do some reworking to an old building on the property and make it fit my fifth wheel
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
we live on 16 acres. it's like having our own private CG...

tonyj54
Explorer
Explorer
We have eight acres, so storage is not a problem. Thankfully.
See y'all on the roads, or in the parks.

tonyj & Shirley
'66 AVION C-10
'86 F-250 6.9 DIESEL
KJ4OEQ 146.520MHz
CB Channel 7

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I live about a mile and a half away from a horse club where many members leave their different type of RVs year round. They sit outside in all types of weather, including snow and ice storms. And I mean snow storms, like up to a foot at a time. And lots of ice storms. I have yet to see a roof collapse and have heard of no roofs leaking. Many have been there the 10 years we have lived nearby. Several of them are removed for summer trips.

And the many dealerships in this area (near Buffalo, NY) leave both new and used travel trailers, 5th wheels, class A, B , and Cs outside all winter long. In fact I have seen some brand new $300,000 units sit outside for two winters.

My 19 year old DP sits outside all winter with no problems.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a HOA (UNFORTUNATELY-- NEVER again!!!) and we have to pay for storage. Luckily, a new place opened up less than a mile from my house and it is a 43 foot long fully enclosed unit. We pay 185.00 a month for it, but it has been helpful to have anyway since I was able to get all the junk out of my garage and from behind the house.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is in the side yard. If we had to pay the going rate *$100+* we'd just have to give it up.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
no HOA here but limited room and the wifey says no way to parking it in the back yard, so we pay 60.00 a month for 24/7 gated access at a storage lot 1 mile from the house, its video monitored/recorded at the on site office, so it helps ease the concerns of damage/theft. plus its close enough to check on it a couple times a week and go over to put things in it when we need to
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. "

TV: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins Diesel
TT: 2013 Rockwood Signature Series 8319SS

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is in our yard. While I understand why some folks like paying HOAs I wouldn't live where there was someone I got to pay to tell me what to do with my own piece of land.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
We store it at home. I glance out the back window and can see her.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
We're in an HOA. . . that's part of the reason we went back to a PUP. It just fits in the garage, and we're not spending another 50% of our camper payment to store it somewhere.

If we ever move, I have every intention of fleeing from HOA-land and finding somewhere with a minimum of five acres.

We stored out last TT uncovered a few miles from the house for about $65/month.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my TT next to my house, enableing me to get a lot of additional use out of it besides camping, and saving a minimum of $85 a month (dirt lot) storage. Not covered. Minimal maintenance costs of the plastics eventually needing replacement and the decals have faded a little.

My town is in unincorprated Northern Los Angeles County, and the housing track I live in is one of the older established ones. One of the reasons we bought this house was the ability to store RVs at home. The homes are smaller (1000-1500sqft), but they have some property (around 7000sqft), no HOA or CC&Rs, no city ordinances. ALL the newer developments in the area have big houses (2000sqft+) on postage stamp lots with almost no driveway, no back yard, and HOAs. No ability to store RVs. It is no exaduration when I say 2/3 - 3/4 of the homes in my track have some kind of RV or boat or enclosed cargo trailer either in the driveway or next to the house depending on property shape. My track is one of the only ones in town where this is feasable, thus many of us like minded individuals live here 🙂 I have no worries about the residents pushing for an anti RV ordinance.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008