cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10th time across USA need ideas

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
On June 1st we will head out of Santa Cruz California to the East Coast for our 10th time. Our primary destination will be Middletown New York to visit Eve's Mother for a week then up to Nova Scotia for a few fresh Lobsters but then what do we do??

We don't have to be back to California until September,
(in our 21 years of RVing 4 to 5 months a year) We have seen all the Major National Parks and have toured most major cities have been to every State more than once and have toured every province of Canada.
We have traveled Interstates I10,I40,I70,I80,and US 2

So give us some hints, Where is that little secret place I need to see that you know about ?

Aloha from Kauai
Leon
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )
66 REPLIES 66

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you driven the Trans Canada?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the building of the interstate highway system, it is now possible it travel coast to coast without seeing anything. - Charles Kuralt

If you have not done the Blue Ridge Parkway, it is time.
I know 66 was mentioned, but there are still lots of red roads that can be amazing. If you can arrange to be in striking range of Crystal Bridges in Bentonville AR, that is a good stop with lots of hiking. Have you been to the upper peninsula of Michigan? If you do, stop by the locks as the flush a ship through. We found that after we crossed off most of our wanted to see list, there was even more to add that we never even knew about.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
It kinda sounds like you're road trip style approaches an annual endurance marathon.

My own suggestion would be to put a little more "wander" in your annual travels - slow down and get off the beaten path - take in the parks that are NOT known as tourist traps, look for activities, festivals in small towns, take in theme trips.

I'd agree that Newfoundland is a place like no other - it fits the bill of off the beaten path, not a tourist trap, has lots of activities and festivals, and the added bonuses are that it is among the friendliest place you will ever encounter - one that exudes culture.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Highly recommend Newfoundland and PEI. And how could you possibly go wrong with BC?

If fact fly to see Mom and then spend the entire time on the coast and BC!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Newfoundland and maybe Labrador. You need at least one month to see Newfoundland, but if you've never been it's worth it.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a theme...we did history the last time we PCS'ed across country (FL to CA). When we travel back next year (CA to FL) we are planning a BBQ theme. Which will prove a little more difficult, but doable. We did a trip once and made stops at only Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. At the time, it was a little more difficult than it would be today, but it was great fun and we had some tremendous foods.

Since it is baseball season, try hitting games all the way across.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Pineapple Kid wrote:
...We have seen all the Major National Parks and have toured most major cities have been to every State more than once and have toured every province of Canada.
We have traveled Interstates I10,I40,I70,I80,and US 2...
I would agree with a previous poster that it is time to get off the interstates. US-20, US-30, US-40 and US-50 go coast to coast. US-36, US-54, US-56, US-60, US-64, US-70, and US-160 will take you East/West through parts of the country you will not see from the interstates. Or as mentioned, you could follow one of the National Historic Trails or take some of the Scenic Byways.

Since you have visited the major National Parks, you might consider starting on the National Monuments and Historic Parks.

We use the following websites to check for places of interest along our routes:
National Parks,
National Wildlife Rufuges,
State Parks,
Trip Advisor,
Legends of America,
Roadside America,
Ghost Towns,
Slot Canyons,
Pow Wows,
Flea Markets,
Rock Art,
Native American Ruins,
Factory Tours,
Waterfalls,
Scenic Railroads,
State Fairs,
Lighthouses,
Breweries in the United States,
Wineries in the United States

Hope you have a Great Summer!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We know the delema. 7 seasons, over 125,000 miles, Alaska twice, West Coast twice, The Maritimes twice, everywhere south except Florida. Take all of our routes & draw them out on the map & it looks like it was done by some demented spiders web. No small amount of effort is spent avoiding interstates.

Still, we find new places to go, take routes in the opposite direction than before, retrace ones done years before but forgotten.

The travel itch is as strong as ever. We thought that we would have had it well scratched by now.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
If you drop south into Kentucky you can tour bourbon distilleries, do Mammoth Cave....etc.

Here's a link to the Bourbon Trail. They give free samples. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
If you take the southern route back to California, lots of beautiful "hidden gems" in Arkansas.
You can spend a day digging for diamonds here:Diamond Mine

You can tour some beautiful caverns here:
Blanchard Springs Caverns

Lots more:
Ozark Fold Center
Buffalo River
Hot Springs National Park (Eat at McClards BBQ)
Petit Jean State Park

Welcome to Arkansas.

IPA-Brewmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Abingdon, Va. is a nice stopover. The Barter Theater has Broadway caliber plays at bargain prices and the nearby Virginia Creeper Trail is an all down hill 17 mile bike ride along a beautiful mountain stream.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
This gives new meaning to "getting off the island" once a year! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A journey by RV, no Interstates & other Big Roads, with motorcycles along so their zoom factor offsets the clumsiness of the RV, all the while attending a major league baseball game at every ball yard in the league. Include meeting people and avoiding all the attractions you have seen already anyway.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We go back to our favorite destinations more than once. You might do the same. Been to Cedar Point, Ohio the land of the roller coasters?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
NO 1 hint. Get off the freeways.
Route 66
Natchez trace
Any of the old trails, California, Oregon, Mormon, Lewis and Clark, etc.
The original Lincoln highway from NY to Calif.
Weird Roadside.
Mall of America in MN.
Door County Wis.
Mackinac Island Mich
Presidential Libraries. Nixon, Johnson, Bush, Bush, Eisenhower, Truman, Hoover, Ford, Roosevelt, Kennedy. Probably in that order. There may be others.