cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt blanket?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking about buying a 12 volt heated blanket as a Christmas present for my wife for our camping trailer. I have two 6 volt Trojan T105 batteries. 225ah.

Most 12v blankets claim they draw something from 4.5 to 6.5 amps. Some turn off after 30, 45, or 60 minutes. Some stay on until you turn them off. Some have different heat settings.

Does anyone have experience using a 12v heated blanket? I think my wife would enjoy using it if it works well enough. Would I risk drawing down my battery too low when dry camping for 3 or so days? (We're pretty frugal with our battery since we don't have a generator or solar)

Anyone else using one? Any positive or negative experiences? Brand recommendations?
20 REPLIES 20

dedmiston
naturist wrote:
Letโ€™s do some simple math. Taking that 4.5 amp draw, over an 8 hour snooze, we get 36 amp hours per night. At 6.5 amps, thatโ€™s 52 amp hours per night. If you have the single 80 amp hour battery most TTS come with, that blanket will completely drain as much power as you dare or even damage the battery. You need to check you battery AH rating before deciding.

Let's do some simple reading. :W

mtnbbud wrote:
I have two 6 volt Trojan T105 batteries. 225ah.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Letโ€™s do some simple math. Taking that 4.5 amp draw, over an 8 hour snooze, we get 36 amp hours per night. At 6.5 amps, thatโ€™s 52 amp hours per night. If you have the single 80 amp hour battery most TTS come with, that blanket will completely drain as much power as you dare or even damage the battery. You need to check you battery AH rating before deciding.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Heated mattress pad is more comfortable !

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My wife hasn't used hers in years, but it was very popular for a while. It was the type that shut off after 30 minutes or so. Never a problem for our two 6V batteries.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the SOC of the Trojans each individual night when you retire whether that amp draw will handled well by the batteries, and how you recharge. Solar? Eight hours at 4.5 amp hours would be 36.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a 12V mattress pad in the truck. Never ran down the starting batteries to the point I had issues cranking the Cat, even over a weekend layover.