cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1998 Jeep

marktwebb01
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience 4 wheels down towing a 1998 Jeep Wrangle Sahara, automatic transmission?
3 REPLIES 3

marktwebb01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Scott and Karla for the information. I do appreciate it. It is very helpful.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Don't ya just love it when they never get back??
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
marktwebb01 wrote:
Anyone have experience 4 wheels down towing a 1998 Jeep Wrangle Sahara, automatic transmission?

Mark,
You're going to get quite a few answers to this question. Your Jeep is a "TJ" model Wrangler. It's ranking is the Sahara Edition. The automatic is a 3-spd version and, you're sporting a 4.0L in line six.

Flat towing your model Jeep is about as easy as it comes. Your owners manual will lay things out for you but, in short, it's like this: (and this of course assumes you've set it all up with tow bar, wiring and more)

1. With the engine running, place the transmission in neutral
2. Place the transfer case into NEUTRAL.
3. TO make sure you've accurately acquired NEUTRAL in the transfer case, temporarily place the transmission in Drive or, Reverse, either will work.
4. If the Jeep won't move after you've placed the trans in Drive or Reverse, you have successfully acquired NEUTRAL in the transfer case.
5. Place the transmission into Neutral.
6. Now, once that's proven, the transmission needs to be placed in park.
7. The engine is now to be turned off.
8. The key is now to be placed in the first "click" from the "OFF" position which, will allow for the steering wheel to be in the "Un-lock" position
9. MAKE SURE the parking brake is in the "OFF" position.

A little hint here. When attempting to place the transmission back into park, it may want to "grind" due to going through REVERSE. So, what many of us do is, when the trans is in neutral, AFTER the transfer case has been successfully placed into neutral, shut off the engine. With the engine shut off, THEN place the transmission in Park.

That way there's no chance of grinding any gears or potentially damaging anything.

As for your toad lights, that's also incredibly easy. I've wired many TJs and, all I've ever done is, tie into the Jeeps factory wiring, right beside the drivers left leg. That's where all the rear lighting wiring is located. If you're interested, let me know and, I can walk you through it. And the cost is phenomenally cheap. And the good part, your tail lights will act the exact same when towing it, as they do when driving it.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND