cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 Q's: Turning Radius & Tongue Weight

ChristyFord
Explorer
Explorer
First, can someone please explain in newbie language how to calculate turning radius and how to use that information when towing?

Second, I understand that TW contributes to GVW of your TV, but I've read in a couple forums now that it DOES NOT contribute to GCW, that you should subtract it from your calculations at that point... fact or fiction?
16 REPLIES 16

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Every ounce you load on your TV goes to payload except a full tank of fuel and 150 pounds of you...GCW. Don't "skimp" on payload when buying a TV. To me turning radius matters because of where I camp and the roads I want to travel. If you drive interstates, buy fuel only at truck stops and frequent big private RV parks then turning radius won't be that important to you. It is to me.

BUT as your wheelbase shortens, so should the length of your TT. My TV wags my TT. The other way is dangerous.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Of course tongue weight is part of your GCW, it's ALL weight the TV must be capable of handling. It's kinda moot though as with most TVs your payload capacity will be exceeded long before GCW comes anywhere near the vehicle's GCWR.

As for turning radius generally speaking the shorter the wheelbase of the vehicle the tighter will be it's turning radius. As an example, I found it much easier backing my trailer into a campsite with my Avalanche that had a 130" wheelbase than my Silverado which is more than another foot longer. When the front bumper is clearing obstructions by a mere 1/2" the tighter the turning radius the better as far as I'm concerned.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380