cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 C-Max and CR-V With Automatic Transmission

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
If you tow a 2014 Ford C-Max or 2014 Honda CR-V, which trim level do you tow four-down?

We are unexpectedly in the market for a new tow'd vehicle. We've narrowed it down to the 2014 models of Ford C-Max or Honda CR-V. We're doing research and asking questions to service staff (not salesmen), but are still getting conflicting answers on what can be towed four down.

Have read about problems with the 2014 C-Max SEL level keyless feature, but don't know if they've been resolved. Anyone towing an SE or SEL four down?

Also, we are getting conflicting answers on the 2014 CR-Vs. One dealership says that the regular two-wheel drive can be towed four-down, but NOT the AWD models. Other service department said AWD can be towed four down.

Anyone with any first-hand knowledge with either of these two 2014 models?

Thanks in advance.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
31 REPLIES 31

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
Any thoughts on the C-Max tire mobility kit instead of having a spare tire? We had a flat on our Honda a couple weeks ago, so that's kind of a concern.

Our Fusion has the same thing.

Not sure of the Cmax, but on the Fusion hybrid, there is enough room for a 'donut' spare tire to go in place of the tire mobility kit. I think Ford mostly went with the mobility kit as a way to save weight, not necessarily space. You can order a 'donut' wheel/tire from Ford and put that in place of the tire mobility kit if you want to. I know, 'cause I looked into it when we first bought the Fusion, and seriously considered doing it.

In the end, we haven't worried about it, as thats what we have Good Sam ERS for. Have called on them before when we've had a flat, and they've taken care of us.

If not having the spare tire bothers you, I'd make it a condition of the sale, that they get you a donut wheel/tire and put it in there in place of the mobility kit.

And have you (and other Ford owners who might be reading this thread) had any issues with the "quick fuel" feature for the gas? Not having a cap makes me wonder about dust getting in - not to mention vandals pouring who knows what into the tank since the fuel door doesn't lock.

Our Fusion has that. Dust or debris getting in really isn't a concern, due to the way the fuel cap/filler is designed. It closes up pretty good and tight when you aren't filling, I wouldn't worry about that.

As to vandalism concern: Yes, that could be a concern, but they'd have to be pretty smart vandals, as there's no way to tell when looking at outside of vehicle, that the gas cap has the 'quick fuel' feature. When lid is closed, it looks just like any other car. I haven't really worried about that.

Now, where it has occasionally been a little bit of an annoyance, is that at some gas stations, you have to really push the fuel nozzle in deep and hold it there, or it will keep cutting out when pumping. I've only experienced this at a very few places with older pumps, though.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Happily Retired 2 wrote:
With regards to the C-Max Energi, you do realize that the plug in feature is really a bonus, right? It also has a gas engine with about a 600 mile range between fill ups. You could drive on gas only and never use the the electric feature when you are on trips if you had no place to plug in. You would still get the benefit of the regenerative braking. We are getting better than 40 mpg when we are strictly on the gas engine. Best of both worlds! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for bringing that up. You're right, of course. I knew that, as we currently have a hybrid, but wasn't thinking.

We test drove both again yesterday. We really like the CR-V EX (both AWD and 2WD), but we're leaning toward the C-Max SE because Ford is throwing crazy-money at buyers of 2014 models right now. Including an extra $1k for some current hybrid owners.

Any thoughts on the C-Max tire mobility kit instead of having a spare tire? We had a flat on our Honda a couple weeks ago, so that's kind of a concern.

And have you (and other Ford owners who might be reading this thread) had any issues with the "quick fuel" feature for the gas? Not having a cap makes me wonder about dust getting in - not to mention vandals pouring who knows what into the tank since the fuel door doesn't lock.

Thanks again for your insight.
It's his Super Power!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
What is the advantage of a "plug in" over a regular hybrid? We are currently looking at hybrids for a family car...not for a toad.

Ro

A 'plug-in' hybrid typically has larger batteries, and can therefore store more electrical energy. Allows you to charge up the vehicle's battery from an external AC source, and in some cases this allows the vehicle to run 100% on electrical power and use almost zero gas.

It comes at a very high price, though. Typically a plug-in hybrid will cost several thousand more than a regular hybrid. In some cases, though, that higher purchase price is offset by various tax breaks you get with them.

A regular non plug-in hybrid OTOH, doesnt have as big a battery, and gets all its electrical power for the batteries from regenerative braking and from re-charging that takes place when running on gas. It can't run completely on electric power for as long, and typically will run on gas engine a little more often. Will use a little more gas, but also costs significantly less (several thousand) initially.

In the case of Ford's Cmax and Fusion hybrids, both (plug-in or not) are completely flat-towable.

Its important to note, like already said, that whether its a plug-in hybrid or regular hybrid, both can run on gas or electric power. When battery runs out, you are NOT dead by the side of the road. It has a fully capable gas engine that will then take over and can provide all the power needed, so long as it has gas in the tank. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD "Comfortable Runabout Vehicle", it is also towable in the 2WD. 2012-2014 are basically the same CR-V. PS we love it! Dick

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
What is the advantage of a "plug in" over a regular hybrid? We are currently looking at hybrids for a family car...not for a toad.

Ro

While we bought our C-max Energi to tow, we were also looking for a car that got much better gas mileage than our truck and minivan. It had to have better head room than other cars that size and comfortable seating for 4-5. We originally looked at the CRV, Chevy Sonic, and Ford Focus. While at the Ford dealer we discovered the Ford C-Max!!

What we love about the Energi is that, unlike totally electric cars, or a gas hybrid, it has the ability to run on electric or gas. Since we can run on gas, we do not have to rely on finding a charging outlet before our electric miles run out. When it is at our house it is always plugged in to its own dedicated 110v outlet. That gives us 20+ electric miles every time we leave the house. If we go further than that in one trip then the gas engine seamlessly kicks in.

We have owned and driven ours daily for almost 8 months and have only used a total of 25 gallons of gas in all those months. At our overall average of 140mpg, we are getting 100 miles per gallon more than the comparable C-Max gas hybrid!!!!

Plus the Federal government gave us a $4007 tax credit! Hard to beat. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Thor Axis

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ro
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
Have read about problems with the 2014 C-Max SEL level keyless feature, but don't know if they've been resolved. Anyone towing an SE or SEL four down?
I'm towing a 2014 C-Max SEL without any problems. I simply follow the towing instructions in the C-Max owner's manual, and as part of the hook-up procedure I disable the automatic traction control. The next time I drive the car, the traction control comes on automatically, and I get a warning light about it needing service, but after the brakes are applied a couple of times the computer catches up and all is fine.

The 12V system battery in the car needs some help with all the electronics and the aux brake system that need power when towing, so a charge wire from the MH is a needed addition to the wiring setup.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
With regards to the C-Max Energi, you do realize that the plug in feature is really a bonus, right? It also has a gas engine with about a 600 mile range between fill ups. You could drive on gas only and never use the the electric feature when you are on trips if you had no place to plug in. You would still get the benefit of the regenerative braking. We are getting better than 40 mpg when we are strictly on the gas engine. Best of both worlds! ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Thor Axis

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to have an Energi, but it wouldn't work for us as we take several car trips yearly where we dont stay in campgrounds. Maybe someday charging stations will be more readily available.

Ron-

The apparently-incorrect information came from service department personnel at a Honda dealership, not the salesman. Trust but verify....and then ask folks on here!
It's his Super Power!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
oops....duplicate post.
It's his Super Power!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Actually we loved our salesman and Honda Dealership. I'd been to several Honda dealerships to know what to expect with price and features, but wanted to spend my tax dollars locally.

My wife and I were trying to decide what color CR-V to select that would be compatible with our MH, and our salesman said: Where is the MH? I said that it is about 20 minutes away, and he said let's go, and we drove the CR-V to our house where we keep the MH. We parked it behind the MH (in tow mode), and DW said OK. Done deal.

The real advantage of that trip is that I was able to drive the CR-V on familiar roads so that I could evaluate every lump and bump on my normal daily drive. Done deal.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:

Also, we are getting conflicting answers on the 2014 CR-Vs. One dealership says that the regular two-wheel drive can be towed four-down, but NOT the AWD models. Other service department said AWD can be towed four down.

If by "dealership" you're actually talking about a "salesman", then no wonder you got bad info. Most, and by that I mean just about all, auto salesmen don't have a clue when it comes to anything to do with rv's....include toads.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a keyless 2013 C-Max Energi four down. We looked at both 2013 and 2014 models when we purchased last April. The C-Max was introduced in 2013, and the 2014 models were practically identical, so we went with the better deal!!! The 2014 models are all towable four down.

If you decide on the C-Max, I would definitely consider the Energi over the SE or SEL. Having the ability to plug in at home and at campgrounds, has our average just over 140 mpg! Its features are comparable to the SEL, and the Federal tax credit will help pay the difference. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our favorite car ever! Would highly recommend!
2014 Thor Axis

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we're aware of the change to a CVT and that those are not towable four-down. That's why we are looking at 2014 exclusively on the CR-V's.

One salesperson we're dealing with is none-too-happy about it, too, as he says it will cut into his sales.
It's his Super Power!

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
For the CRV, I believe the AWD Automatic version (2014 and older) are towable 4 down. The new 2015 CRV's have gone with a CVT transmission so....they are not. If you get a CRV, get the 2014.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD