cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 GMC Canyon or Colorado Stuck in Neutral after towing...

martywittrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I JUST got my 2015 GMC Canyon back from the Service Department after I had an incident with by GMC Canyon not wanting to shift back into gear after I dinghy towed my Canyon with my Holiday Rambler Vacationer. There is a procedure that they mention that is already on this thread as a PDF (#PIP5217A: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message After Flat/Dinghy Towing) - that procedure 'A' is the latest update of it and I have it. But my Service Department at the GMC Dealer handed me the 'Relearning Procedure' that can be done on the road to have the Transfer Case Module 'relearn' its positioning. That document has the title of: "Transfer Case High/Low Clutch Reset NQ6" and the steps are as follows:

1.) Ignition OFF for at least 30 seconds
2.) Engage Parking Brake
3.) Place Transmission Selector into Neutral
4.) Turn S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch to the 2WD High Position for at least 5 seconds. The 2WD High indicator may not illuminate
5.) Turn the S77 Transfer Case Shift Control Switch clockwise past the 4WD Low Position to the Neutral Request position and hold for at least 30 seconds.
6.) An audible noise from the A16 Transfer Case Motor should occur, indicating a successful learn procedure.

This, I am told, is the 'Magic Decoder Ring' to reprogram the Transfer Case Control Module without the GMC Scan Tool when you get stranded. Luckily I was out in front of my house when this happened (just got back from a weekend trip with the RV) and I had to have my 2015 GMC Canyon towed back to the Dealership to have them do this procedure that I could have done at home last night. Also, luckily, I didn't have to pay for the towing since I had the OnStar package with the Roadside Assistance (that saved me $300 - thank you OnStar). But I hope the aforementioned procedure will help someone to not have this issue EVER again. Between the updated towing procedure and this new 'relearning' procedure, you won't have the same thing happen to you like what happened to me last night with my Canyon.

Happy Trails, Everyone...!
2 REPLIES 2

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
GMC = Getta Mechanic Coming

firemedic24
Explorer
Explorer
Great info...
2008 Winnebago Voyage 35A,Full Body Paint,
Chevy 496 Workhorse W24, Banks Powerpak