cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Suburu Forester NOT listed as Dingby?

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
I was under the impression that the Forester with the manual transmission was flat towable?
RVing since '74..
26 REPLIES 26

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i manual transmission is flat towable according to the FMCA dingy guide, and the owners manual.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
From FMCA site:
" Subaru of America (SOA) has responded to Family Motor Coaching magazine's request that the company clarify its position on flat-towing Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes.

"Moving forward, SOA cannot recommend dinghy towing. Our cars should be flat-bedded."

No further explanation was provided. "
RVing since '74..

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, bottom line; manual transmission Subaru without push button start, four down or four up. Case closed.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

TX_AG
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2015 manual trans, Forester specifically to be towed 4 down behind my motorhome. At that time , Dec 2014, the Subaru corporate website stated that all manual trans Subarus could be flat towed behind a motorhome, but no automatic trans models could be. They also stated that no Subarus could be towed with 2 wheels on a dolly and 2 on the ground. I have since towed this car about 10,000 miles with no problems.

Today I went back to the same website, and found that they had changed their recommedation to hauling it with all 4 wheels on a trailer. They referred to the emergency towing procedure if one just had to tow 4 down.

As far as I know, there are no changes in the running gear of the 2015 vs the 2016 models. So it seems that the lawyers have inserted some CMA language.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
WilBoud wrote:
Like many others here I was also researching the Forester (manual Transmission) and kept running into a brick wall.

I went to the Subaru site, then to Customer service and sent an email requesting verification about any damage or warranty issues connected to "towing a manual 2016 Forester on all four wheels down behind a motorhome". My email was responded to within a few days...

wow, could you share which email address you used to contact Subaru?
I've gotten the "only for emergency" boilerplate response where I've tried.
RVing since '74..

WilBoud
Explorer
Explorer
Like many others here I was also researching the Forester (manual Transmission) and kept running into a brick wall.

I went to the Subaru site, then to Customer service and sent an email requesting verification about any damage or warranty issues connected to "towing a manual 2016 Forester on all four wheels down behind a motorhome". My email was responded to within a few days. Subaru indicated their were no known issues, no warranty issues, and no warranty issues involving the installation of a base plate or towing on all four wheels behind a motorhome on the '16 Forester. So I did it.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
From a FMCA post:
I purchased a 2016 WRX in October 2015. Before I purchased this car I sent an email to Subaru corporate asking if I can tow this car behind a MotorHome. I received a email stating YES as long as it is a manual transmission car. A few months later I read that if it has a push button start car it can't be towed. My car had this option installed. Sent another email to Subaru asking about the push button start and after several back and forth with them they finally stated that Subaru does not recommend flat towing ANY 2016 Subaru. At this point as a result of the first email they purchased the car back and sent me a check to cover all of my out of pocket cost. It was a great car and I can't say enough good things about Subaru as they treated me more than fair.

Edited yesterday at 9:16 AM by franktr
RVing since '74..

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys, this has been a little odd, my dealer promised to get back to me.. etc, still waiting, guess I will try Subaru again. It does seem something changed.
Or maybe I'll just buy a HR-V with manual trans.

any way appreciate the effort, should I learn anything I will share.
RVing since '74..

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek...for what its worth, there is no mention of "recreational towing" in the owners manual. It's listed under "In Case of Emergency". Just looked at the manual for the 2016 Forester and it's listed the same way.

But I wouldn't go by what that dinghy towing guide says. I would go by what the manufacturer says. Afterall, when there's an issue, a dinghy towing guide is not gonna back you up or get your issue fixed. And they are not always correct. For instance, they do not list the 2015 Ford Focus as towable.. but if you go to the Ford RV and Trailer towing guide for 2015, it shows that they are with exception of 2 models.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Y-Guy
ccchuck wrote:
I was hoping you at least knew who might explain this change to us end users, or have some idea how to work this up the food chain.

Your best bet is to use the Contact Us and write a letter to the editor. That said you're best bet is doing what Subaru says, anything else is just an opinion and they won't know all the in/out and changes. It's just a resource, the Owners Manual the factor are your legitimate source. I know you emailed Subaru before, you might email them back and emphasis you are looking to or Recreational Flat 4-Wheel down towing information.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Subaru Owner's Manual wording regarding towing is the same as 2016 for several years past and the corresponding past Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Guides list manual transmission Subarus as flat towable.

A few years ago Scion refused to support flat towing after many years of its support. Now they again are recommended for flat towing.

I wouldn't put too much stock in one source. Look at the totality of the evidence for flat towing the 2016 Subarus.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting about the authority of Motorhome Magazine in this. I haven't read their dinghy guide recently, but my recall is they say they list only those vehicles OK Per Manufacturer. Perhaps the wording in Subie owner's manuals comes across to the MHM editors as NOT OK'ing recreational towing.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify -
I'm told the owner's manual reference to flat towing has been the same the last 3 years.
Motorhome said ok to tow last year.
Motorhome now says no.
My question to Motorhome is what changed? Did Subaru say no this year, or what?
In the mean time FMCA still says yes to Subaru flat towing.

I was hoping you at least knew who might explain this change to us end users, or have some idea how to work this up the food chain.

... and thanks for what you do.
RVing since '74..

Y-Guy
ccchuck wrote:
ATTN: MODERATOR:

CAN you find out why Subaru is not listed this year?

Find out from who? Subaru? You've already done that.

Iโ€™m just here to keep the forum within the guidelines and rules. I donโ€™t work here, just a volunteer.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon