cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Towing Capacity

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6 Liter, V-6 24 Valve VVT Engine, 8 speed automatic transmission, 4x4. Trying to determine if I can tow a small travel trailer.

I am trying to figure out what the towing capacity is. 1/2 the websites I see say 3,500 lbs the other half say 6,200 lbs. The official Jeep website says 6,200 lbs. I called the dealer where I bought it from and gave them my vin number, they told me 3,500 lbs. Even the manual says 2 different things. It says 3,500 with standard cooling and 6,200 with heavy duty cooling. Then I looked up heavy duty cooling systems and it says that they don't change the towing capacity. Camping World has a towing capacity that you can look up and that said 7,200 lbs. I checked the door sticker and it says nothing on that about towing capacity.

Who am I to believe on what the towing capacity is?
41 REPLIES 41

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Eh, if it makes you feel better, it sounds as if you'd be more comfortable towing with a larger vehicle, based on your experience.
Regardless of the published numbers, any sort of hard side TT in the 20'+ range would give the JGC and your nerves a healthy workout in all but ideal towing conditions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, sounds as if you have it resolved. Should be easy to sell or trade if you really want something to tow with.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok. Just called a third Jeep dealer and gave them the vin number to my vehicle. Currently there is NO tow package on the vehicle. Maximum I can tow with this is 3,500 lbs. I can add the tow package but that will NOT change the towing capacity to 6,200 lbs. I have the standard cooling on the vehicle. The heavy duty cooling is actually a different radiator and that can NOT be changed in my vehicle. It would have had to come with the different radiator or been ordered with one on it.

So I am stuck at the 3,500 max towing capacity. Not what I wanted to hear but at least now I know.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found nothing about rear end ratio either and believe me I have looked EVERY WHERE!!!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Mine does NOT have the towing package. So it looks like 3,500 is the number.

Yep! Wish you had mentioned that at the beginning.
You would also have to upgrade the rear end ratio that comes with the factory tow package.
You also have to have wiring for a brake controller installed.
Where did you find the tow pkg rear end ratio? I've been bumfuzzled looking for it.:)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:

Yep! Wish you had mentioned that at the beginning.
You would also have to upgrade the rear end ratio that comes with the factory tow package.
You also have to have wiring for a brake controller installed.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Can't answer that question for you. Best bet is to take your JGC to a Jeep dealer and talk to the service department manager.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this is what comes with the tow package direct from Jeep's website:

7-and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Full Size Spare Tire
Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
The heavy-duty engine cooling system is designed to vent excess heat generated by heavy engine use.

I would have to have a receiver hitch installed any way to tow something. So if I get these things installed then I can tow up to 6,200 lbs?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Sorry to hear that. If you don't have the towing package you should stick to the 3,500 pound limit.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have the same model JGC but it's a 2014. If equipped with factory towing package, the towing capacity is 6,200 pounds. If not equipped with towing package is only 3,500 pounds.

BTW, I towed a 5,000 TT with the Jeep for 2 years without any problems.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
The web page mike-s linked seems authoritative but that doesn't explain the dealers having different takes on the vin. Maybe you could ask Jeep directly, not a dealer. If it came with the IV hitch and 7 pin, that would be encouraging. FWIW I didn't see any choices of rear axle ratio so that doesn't lead anywhere.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Point is that there is more to it.....the OP still thinks there is only ONE transmission on his TV... :R

This is for the lurkers out there who might learn something from this thread...am done with this OP/thread

Here is an image from the 2018 Ford brochure, page 33

Click For Full-Size Image.

The whole borchure. Ford because Jeep doesn't list diff ratios. Guessing that they only have one ratio from the factory, but that doesn't jive with the various info posted by others.

2018 Ford brochure, page 33 tow ratings

Notice that the weights change with the diff ratio's...they increase with higher numeric diff ratios

That metric applies to any vehicle and since Jeep doesn't list it...guessing that they will only stand behind whatever the diff ratio their vehicles have leaving their factory
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
To: Mike-s

I have googled and gotten different answers. I called one Jeep dealership gave them my vin they told me 3,500 lbs. I called a different Jeep dealer gave them my vin they told me 6,200 lbs.

You see why I am so confused!

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Repeat...no DIFFERETIAL gear ratio info...

It has an 8 speed transmission. Unless the OP plans to tow at 85 MPH, the trans has room to adjust for the needed engine speed. Whether it's a higher ratio rear end with a lower ratio gear, or the inverse, the result is the same. What do you think the issue is?