cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th or Class A ???? - Work and travel rig

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to spend a couple of years on the road, seeing the sites, working probably @ 9 months a years (DW is a nurse, will do the travel nurse bit)...with our 1.5 year old daughter. I will do the driving, planning, maintenance, child care, etc...mostly west coast, definitely plan on spending a summer in Alaska.

IME, a diesel Class A with toad is better for those times when we'll be moving from place to place, exploring, etc...but a 5th would be better once we set up someplace for a 3 month contract.

I think the initial outlay of $ would be pretty similiar, though with a Class A I would like to get a newer Jeep unlimited as a toad ...with a truck/fifth wheel combo, we would probably be able to get away with just the truck. We would probably finance the Jeep, trading in her car which will be a hassle to sell anyways.

Long term, the 5th/truck combo would probably be cheaper, but it's so convenient especially with little ones to just find a place to park and sleep for the night as we did when we had a class C.

The idea is to see the country and explore, not necessarily make a bunch of money, just enough to survive. We do have a decent savings/equity in the house to pay for either a diesel class A or truck/5th combo. That being said, the Jeep payments are money that would need to be earned/not spent on travel. We plan to do this for at least 2-3 years, working no more than 9 months out of the year and plan on buying used wither way.

Help me decide which way to go, I've changed my mind 10 times in the last 2 weeks.
14 REPLIES 14

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with many. You either know right away what you want, or you're kinda lost.
I certainly would not know how to recommend which one, to a family with children,.......space is very limited in even the biggest unit you can buy. Of course, if I had been born with the mindset of a minimalist I would have a different opinion (and might consider myself lucky).
With me, it's either a big diesel pusher towing a medium-size 4x4 SUV or nothing.
I love to travel this way. For me, it's more convenient AND more fun to drive.
I gave up on trucks many years ago (as my drive-around vehicle).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We have found in the past year that non-towing miles on the truck are about equal to towing miles when we are moving. We stop for two to seven days between each towing day if possible. When we are stopped for a volunteer job, we put the normal 1,200-1,700 miles per month on the truck.

We know several couples with TT, 5ers and Class A who full time and volunteer / work. Everyone with a trailer dislikes the extra wear on the TV and the really bad mileage of a heavy pickup.

We all cast wishful eyes at the folks with the DP and toad at times.

One couple we know even signs a six month lease for a car each time they stop for their summer volunteer position.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a HDT and a fiver, you can also have a car.
Check out Jack and Dan's rig: Volvo and smart car
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments.

Went and looked at some 5'ers today, sure were nice. Then talked with DW some more and she was still leaning towards a Class A. Her main points were the ability to move around, nap, etc while driving in a Class A and also not wanting to drive a 1 ton truck around when working....

Another thing I noticed today, the 5'ers I looked at with the slides in were pretty much unable to access the unit. We both enjoy boondocking and have spent quite a few nights in the class C at rest areas, parking lots etc...doesn't seem possible with big 5'ers I was looking at...:(

So back to looking at the Class A's on Craigslist again.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
To get the level of features, finishes and space, we started out lower priced in 2005 with a new Truck and new mid-level 40' 5th wheel. Then we found it wasn't a 4-season, so had to trade up. But it was the most practical for 1 night, 1 week or 4-6 mos.

To go Cls A for us is/was way out of our budget. Even now, we'd either have to downsize space and increase payments length.

It's more practical for us, since we are delaying DH's full retirement. Will work 1 project 6-10 mos a year and take a few months off in between. That's why we just picked up a new TC. Will use it for long vacations to get into places we haven't been yet.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Class A's require a lot of service. It is not easy to maintain a Class A, unless you have your own well equipped garage. Most dealers are not reliable, unless you bought it from them, they will put you at the rear of the line.

We have a class A. The only service we have needed is oil changes. In a couple of years, we may need brakes and/or tires. Pretty much the same maintenance as a truck. We don't have a well equipped garage and we have had no problems with dealer reliability. For the oil changes, we make an appointment at a shop, drive our class A there, and get the oil changed - same as a truck.

If I were in your situation though, I would probably get a 5er. But maybe not. I love my Jeep more than I loved my truck.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
For us it was an easy decision. We felt we had more room in a 39' FW plus I just like pulling it better. We don't use Walmarts or rest areas for overnight stays. If I did I would not be putting my slides out unless we were unhooked and the FW was level. Some will disagree with this and claim that you can still put your slides out even if the rig isn't unhooked and even if it isn't level. I will just say that I have never had a slide issue and others have.

For you and your family I suspect the MH and toad may work a little better. If your DW ends up working out of a hospital somewhere she probably will not want to try parking a 1-ton truck in a tight parking lot. Even for grocery shopping and running around they are not the most convenient or economic vehicles around. Plus it would be far easier to pull into a Walmart, throw your slides out, and you would be good to go. The motorhome will have a generator. You can have a generator with a FW, however between the added weight of that plus the added weight of simply being full time with three people you will be heavy. Being heavy in most larger FW's also means you will no doubt have a 1-ton dual rear wheel truck, which also means more issues for your DW using it as a daily driver.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
The one equation I have not seen in the above very sensible advisories, is maintenance. Class A's require a lot of service. It is not easy to maintain a Class A, unless you have your own well equipped garage. Most dealers are not reliable, unless you bought it from them, they will put you at the rear of the line. Since they probably will not see you again, they are not going to give you first class service. I have owned them both 5ver and 7 motor homes. The 5ver will give you the biggest bang for your buck. You can get a p.u. truck serviced any where. You generally do not need a toad which you will have to buy insurance for and maintain.The motorhome is easier, I think, to set up in a camp or resort.Today's Class A in a rain storm you do not even need to get out of the vehicle to dock it. I liked when my wife would fix lunch for me while en route, and I never had to stop in the A. Be sure the whole family not just your wife agrees with you choice.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
As everyone has said, it is personal preference. You will get as many arguments for one than the other. Do a search on this forum and this has been discussed many times and in great detail.

I have a class A and I have a Honda Fit and a unlimited Jeep as toads. If you get the class A, I would strongly recommend that you look at getting a 2014 or earlier Honda Fit as a toad. It gets 40 mpg on the highway and it has a lot of room into he back. The cost is about half what you would pay for the Jeep. The 2015 cannot be flat towed with an automatic transmission but the earlier ones can. This would give you a less expensive vehicle with better gas mileage.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I have no personal experience but will offer what a fella told me at a campground.

- He had just cashed in his retirement after 20 years with some company and decided to be a traveling Project Engineer....sensible choice
- He didn't want to spend more than he needed to so he got a "Class A" on the cheap: gas engine, low range W&&nne^(&*go, etc for he and his wife and 2 young teenagers.
- After a year on the road (of his planned 10 year sojourn), there were so many irritating problems with his cheap Class A that he was looking for an apartment in the SC area (where his current project was) and was willing to take real hit on the Class A just to get rid of it.

Moral of the story...pick whichever you're comfortable with, but I wouldn't go cheap on the MH. I think that one can get a higher level of comfort for any given $$ spend in a 5th Wheel than for a MH.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Over the yrs, I have had a camper van, 25ft C, truck camper, and now a 5er/truck.

For me, from a cost-benefit view I would go with a used 5er/truck. I have more confidence that I can find a good for 5yrs 5er/truck combo than that I can find a good for 5yrs Class A.

I have a 5er and know I can inspect it for problems before purchase, with a Class A I THINK I know what to look for but....I'm not as confident.

Maintenance on a 5er/truck is DIY and requires no special facility.

I do like the travel comfort of a Class A though and if I was going to Alaska I would take a Class A over a 5er (I used a camper van when I went in '80s). That said I have never had any problem just stopping in rest stops, WalMart, etc. with the 5er and going to bed, eating, etc.

The chief travel comfort advantage to a Class A over a 5er, for us, is the ability to nap while the spouse drives. I am not sure I would try the toilet while moving in a Class A so stopping for the potty is equal in my opinion, although in an emergency, the A has a proximity advantage.

Another consideration is will your wife be comfortable driving either a pickup or the A? My wife, also a RN, drives the truck/5er combo with no problems and enjoys it. She also likes driving the truck around our somewhat rural town but neither one of us finds it easier to maneuver than a car.

The final and most important factor is "what will make your wife the happiest".

Ask her and then buy what she wants.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
what you are saying is what many people say....what is best.

what is best is what you and your DW feel comfortable in. 3 months in a MH isn't a big deal...lots of people come here to mexico for 6 months and live in their MHs without any issues.

again, it is what YOU and your DW want.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry, but the people with a 5er will say go with a fifth wheel and those with a DP will say go with a Diesel Pusher. Having owned every type of RV other than a Toy Hauler there is no way I'd go back to a 5er. A MH is the nicest and most expensive way to go RVing. You will probably put more miles on the jeep so you're overall MGP will be 13+ (8 + 18/2 = 13). If you bought a toad that gets 30 then your overall would be 19+. Not sure you need a Jeep for use during the three months. The newer diesel PU will get as good a MPG as the Jeep around town and will tow in the 9-12 range assuming a fairly large 5er.
I understand why you've been going back and forth as for the nine months it's a 5er pretty much sitting and for the three months it's a DP traveling. If it's going to be 9/3 always then the 5er. If it will get to 6/6 then a DP. If you are willing to get something with much better MPG than the Jeep then DP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We looked into it and went 5th wheel.

The only reason I might go MH is if you have a strong dislike of driving a truck around town or if you have a particular toad that you must have.

Cost will almost always come out better for a 5th wheel. Initial cost for comparable units is less. Ongoing maintenance is less because you have 1 drivetrain to keep up and it doesn't sit for months rotting when you aren't moving. If something happens, you can find a new truck just about anywhere with large selection. MPG is less than you might think as most big MH's only get 6-8mpg where as most 5th wheels get 8-12mpg making up for the advantage of driving a fuel efficient toad around (remember going from 6 to 10mpg will save a lot more gallons towing than going from 20 to 35mpg driving around town)

Assuming you have a toad, ease of setup and tear down is about the same (try backing that toad into a site some time). You can get all the auto leveling devices on a 5th wheel if desired. If you are just crashing in walmart, the only burden is you have to get out of the truck and walk back to the trailer. You can sleep in a 5th wheel while hooked up just as easily as sleeping in the MH while hooked up. Day stops while traveling, they are about equally difficult to park except you can back out of a situation with a 5th wheel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV