cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 pin electrical contact cleaner

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have been taking the trailer out of hibernation and notice there is significant oxidation on the contacts of my electrical connector. I notice there are a bunch of spray cleaners out there. Does anyone recommend one that really works or maybe a home remedy or dip solution? I worry a little about getting full juice to my brakes.
26 REPLIES 26

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Ketchup cleans copper. Stick a penny on a plate and pour some on it. Wait overnight and you'll see.
Ketchup has vinegar in it. That, and the natural acidity found in tomatoes is what does that. Coke works because of the phosphoric acid.

Simpler just to fill a spray bottle with diluted vinegar and spray it. Let it sit for a bit, then flush thoroughly with fresh water. Repeat if needed. Finish up by letting it dry, then using some grease to keep water out.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Ketchup cleans copper. Stick a penny on a plate and pour some on it. Wait overnight and you'll see.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unfortunately over time WD-40 doesn't work well. It leaves a residue. That residue becomes contaminated with dust and dirt.

ryegatevt wrote:
WD-40
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J wrote:
Definition of dielectric
: a nonconductor of direct electric current

True, but it's the perfect product for this use:

"Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. Extends the life of bulb sockets."

Permatexยฎ Dielectric Tune-Up Grease - Permatex
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/.../permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-4/

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
After, or instead of a more liquid type of spray cleaner, would dielectric grease be an option?

Seems to work great for me. i keep the plug well lubed with it.

Also i never let my plug dangle. It goes into a dummy socket when not plugged into the truck.

I recently fixed a rig that was leaving a campground, with no working lights on the flat towed car. I asked the owner to test the turn and brake lights on the motorhome, while another guest looked at the back of the car. I wiggled the six pin connection and confirmed that there was an intermittent connection. The plug/receptacle had a lot of light corrosion from the salty trip south from NY to FL. I lightly packed the female connectors on the plug with dielectric grease, and worked the it in and out of the receptacle a dozen times, or so. A quick check confirmed that the issue was resolved. I've done this many times on everything from trailer connectors to non-fuctioning 12V bulbs and sockets.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
WD-40
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
Definition of dielectric
: a nonconductor of direct electric current

westend
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Caigs de-oxit
Caig Deoxit D5 It is sold at Guitar Center stores and Radio Shack, if you can find one. It is the only metal treatment I've found that will actually remove oxidation from electronic contacts.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Coca Cola.
Then some dielectric grease.

I hear it works well for rust too!

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
"Dielectric grease" is a fancy way of saying non-conductive grease, which almost all are. You'd have to go out of your way to find a conductive grease, so no need to go out of your way to find a grease specifically labeled as "dielectric", and which you'll pay more for. I use Super-Lube, which is silicone based and clear, so it doesn't stain like most common greases.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
And install a Plug Guard to keep that plug protected.

Thanks. Didn't know these existed. One is on the way.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I took Grit Dog's advice and soaked the connector in some coke for a few hours since it was already in the fridge. I'm surprised at how well it cleaned up, the contacts are almost back to silver in color. I have some silicone grease which I will use to coat the terminals.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a buildup of "green crusties" in the plug, contact cleaner will not do much to remove that. However, you can cut an emery board to fit into the slot and gently polish the crud off. Be careful not to break off the emery board or bend the prongs back. After three or four strokes in each slot, then spray on the contact cleaner.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I use dielectric grease, and tuck the plug up inside the propane tank cover to keep it out of the weather when not in use.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP