cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C locking up in 1984 class c

PlatinumSky
Explorer
Explorer
I recently inherited a 1984 Kingston Midas camper, My great-grandparents were the previous owners and they take such good care of everything that the majority of the vehicle is effectively brand new. A couple of other relatives were taking care of it, and didn't have the time to perfectly care for the vehicle so I've been spending my time getting everything back and working order since it has such sentimental value to me. Fixed a bad fridge heating element, repair the water heater ignition, repaired the generator, etc. The only issue that I have now is that the air conditioner appears to run for a short period of time, it does pump out cold air, then within a few minutes, usually less than 10, the compressor locks up and then within seconds the circuit breaker trips. The fan is still running when the compressor locks up and there isn't any change in sound right up until the moment that it locks up or turns off. The odd thing is that when I take off the cover on top of the RV and hook up my AC manifold, It runs at the standard pressures for r22 refrigerant, comes down to about 60 PSI on the suction port, then equalizes about 85 psi. The part that's making it so hard to diagnose is that anytime I take off the cover and run the air conditioner, it just keeps running it doesn't stop, then as soon as I put the cover back on and try running it again it locks up and trips the breaker. Since the problem only happens when the unit is fully assembled I have no idea how I'm supposed to diagnose this issue. It blows nice cold air, even though there's a couple of dings here and there from bugs on the condenser it has plenty of air flow, The filters on the inside have been cleaned and have plenty of air flow as well, and the pressures I'm reading with my manifold seemed to match up with what everybody else seems to agree to be standard operating pressures for r22 AC systems. Forgive me if this is the wrong form to post in and I will immediately move it, in the meantime here's a picture of the manifold gauge hooked up to the unit, https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VUzC4gBb7TPGF8e6

And another picture with the name plate for the AC unit. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCD6eMwaaemyo8AK8

If any of this isn't allowed in the forums I apologize and I'll remove immediately, this camper just has a lot of sentimental value because it's been around ever since my parents were kids, and I still hear stories about how my mom was chasing after my great grandparents in the camper when she was a kid.
18 REPLIES 18

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
check your voltage at compressor. low voltage will overheat a compressor and cause the thermal overload in the compressor to trip.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Those older AC units have oil ports on motor that need to be oiled on both sides. Take cover off and check for little oil caps on either side of the motor.
al

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
How are you powering the A/C? Generator? House Power? If you're using an extension cord for power you might be using one that's a little to small. Extra heat will build up and shut off the compressor, then trip fuses. Heavy duty cords are best. And good luck with this old gal.

dedmiston
I fixed the link for you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230